Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I'm going a Dell special event on campus today, most likely to announce their new Haswell lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Naffer posted:

This is from a couple of pages back, but the Latitude 7440 is fully up on Dell's premier site now. It is NOT cheap. Currently, the 1080p touchscreen is a nearly $300 option, but there's a 1080p matte option for $90.
Highlights:
The Ubuntu version is discounted by $70 from the Windows Pro version.
The i7-4600U is an option now, which I think is the highest clocked 17W CPU available right now. There's also the i5-4300U as an option.
TrackPoint with physical buttons:

We just put in an order of 19 of these for my department. I can't wait to play with them.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

We just got our order of Latitude E7440 for work and I'm in love. It's like the classiness of an XPS but the sturdiness and practicality of a Latitude.

I may buy one of these for personal use. I love the blue trackpoint, I feel like Dell is tell me, yes, this is your new Thinkpad. I may get the 12" one for home though as I like smaller laptops.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

We just ordered 9 of these for work, scheduled to show up on the 16th. I feel much better about our decision to go with the E7440 now.

We ordered 12, and then 9 a couple days later(one department had cold feet). We got the 1920 screen, 8GB ram, and 128GB SSD for about $1500. I think our users will love it. These are going to replace our very old Latitude D630s so it's going to blow their minds.

My work is a Dell only shop, but I own a Thinkpad x120e myself, so I'm not partial either way.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

drk posted:

Is it the E7240 you are looking at? I cant tell, but it looks like it doesnt have a trackpoint like its bigger brothers. It actually looks reasonably decent, but the price for the specs (generic 1366x768 screen, 128GB SSD, $1350) kinda stings.

No, we got the 14" E7440. I was actually pushing for the 12" for mobility, but the price was higher, and more people still wanted bigger screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

For those of you with aging Thinkpad X120e, I put Windows 8.1 on mine and it somehow fixed my power management issues as well as finally fixing the weird flickering lines that would randomly appear when it came out of sleep. I still love this x120e slim 11" form factor, and was sad to see the x130 got so fat for some reason.

With it set to boot to desktop and classic start, I hardly even notice I'm on Windows 8 otherwise. The only odd thing is that the charm sidebar seems to randomly pop up even if my cursor is nowhere around that area, which changes focus on the laptop, so I have to click back to the screen I was on.