Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

SurgicalOntologist posted:

So... the Zenbook's not going to be available until Q4, Acer Aspire s3/6 until Q3. I'm helping my fiancee choose a new laptop and I've been trying to convince her to be patient. Her laptop is imminently dying, as of a couple days the screen is half distorted. The Aspire S3 would be ideal if it was available now.

Did anything get announced today that's actually available? Or is the wait for Haswell crew still waiting? If her patience runs out, any recommendations? She doesn't like the looks of the T430 and wants something slimmer/more stylish.

Get a tablet to tide her over, turn the old laptop into a desktop replacement.

Edit: not the Google nexus, a new one of those is coming out soon too, supposedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

SurgicalOntologist posted:

That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that. Thanks!
That's exactly what I said.... Turn it into a desktop replacement...

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I'm looking at chromebooks for a type of portable typewriter. I got a nexus 7 with a bluetooth that I've been typing on, but I do notice some slow down either because the software isn't that great, or I just type too fast. Also, the screen is really really tiny, and just isn't that pleasant to read in handling word documents.

Specifically, I'm looking for something that's 1. LIGHT, and 2. handles facebook and email and word processing. Something that I can just carry with me everywhere and flip it on and type when the mood strikes me. Are there any clear winners in the Chromebook department? A friend of mine suggested the pixel, but I think 1200 is really steep for a Chromebook. He said to stay away from Samsung, as there's some lag effects.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Price isn't really an issue with me, mostly I'm looking for something that's small and fast. I don't mind clouding everything, and I'd rather not get a mac since my life is built around android.

I just feel like kind of an idiot because I just blew 2000 euros on a top of the line thinkpad in November, and it does everything that I want it to do, I can lug it around to work, uni, or home. It's just not that convenient for popping out on the fly.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I stepped out on a limb and dropped 1.5k on a huawei matebook pro X with all the fixings. At first I was a little reticent on splurging on a brand I never tried before (lifelong lenovo fan here, and by lifelong I mean the two notebooks I bought from them that have lasted twenty years and never needed anything more).

God. drat. This Huawei is sexy as hell. All the reviews are well deserved I think, I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm looking for excuses just to use the thing.

I'll try to remember to post and update in six months and see how well it holds up.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

If anyone's on the fence about Huawei, it's a beautiful machine that runs extremely well. The only test I cannot vouch for is the test of time, as I just got mine. But I'm really happy with it

Guilty
May 3, 2003

onefish posted:

Hi laptop thread. I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding reasonable discussion of the pros/cons of touch screen on laptops -- it seems to be an option on lots of ultraportables now. Interested if anyone has opinions on when/why they're a good or bad idea.

edit: It seems like I probably have no need for this if I have a separate tablet. Am I missing potential use cases?
edit2 VVV: thanks. Yeah, I don't think I need it.

I didn't think I needed one either, but then I splurged and got it, and now I'm extremely happy that I can throw my useless tablet away and never buy one again. It's one of those things that you didn't think you really needed or would like one until you got it. Touchscreen technology today is everywhere, and it's nice to catch up on the laptop too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003

goblin week posted:

What's the most juice I can get from a laptop under three pounds? I don't do any actual work, I just want to sit on the couch and watch tv shows for the entire waking day, which my 2013 macbook air can't do anymore

I don't have any serious advice to give, I just wanted to say I got an Huawei matebook x pro super deluxe extreme monster rally whatever that weighs 1kg and do this and boy oh boy am I happy.

Although that hammock post...