Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lenovo Legion series looks like it has a some options for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

C-Euro posted:

I know there's been a narrative in the last year or two about how PC parts are more expensive because crypto dorks keep buying them up, but how about laptop prices and availability? Wife's netbook suddenly won't turn on and makes a faint rhythmic clicking sound anytime the battery is connected (took the casing off and the battery out to confirm), so we might be looking at a replacement pretty soon.

Everything is more expensive due to ongoing global supply chain problems, but laptops don't have it nearly as bad as desktop GPUs.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

sigma 6 posted:

EDIT:

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks the MSI Creator might be the thing for Zbrush. Although I know a local artist who swears by his Legion.

https://ecomputertips.com/best-laptops-for-zbrush-modelling-artists/

Those models listed are all 3 CPU generations behind at this point, I feel like you could do a lot better with your budget.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lockback posted:

Also noteable, the laptop SKUs are basically totally different than the desktop SKUs this generation, so don't take any desktop performance or value and try to apply it across.

In fairness, this is usually the case every generation.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have no speculation, but I'd poke through Event Viewer for hints the next time it happens.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you're after efficiency/battery life, the HX CPUs aren't great. This may or may not matter depending on your intended use case. Games will like the extra cache.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Any major issues with the HP EliteBook line? There's a deal right now on this one that looks kind of tempting.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've been looking at ThinkPads as well, but the only one that's stuck out to me is an OLED P16 that I've heard has PWM flicker and definitely has soldered RAM. Seems like we're between generations and pickings are getting slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Looks like it went out of stock some time in the last few hours, but thank you all for the information!