Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Four years ago I got a crappy Asus laptop. It's a huge 17 inch brick with a bad screen, noisy fans and I'd like to ditch it. I'm after something that is good for multimedia, 15", quiet, has a 1080 screen, bluray drive, SSD, maybe a reasonable graphics card but if I ever played a game on it then it would be something like League Of Legends and it sounds like Haswell can do that.

After looking around the only real contender I have found for that is Sony, with their new Vaoi Fit. It has the Nvidia 735M as a cheap upgrade option as well as an SSD and can play Blurays.

IntelŽ CoreTM i5-3337U, 1.8GHz
Windows 8
39.5cm LED 1920 x 1080 +webcam
NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 735M 2 GB
128 GB SATA Flash SSD
8 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3L-SDRAM
Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer

Have to wait and see what they do with Haswell but are there any contenders for these kind of specs without price tags over $1200? I've considered ditching the bluray and 1080 screen but then we are getting close to a point where I could just buy a $200 Nexus 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I haven't found a Sony screen I liked because they all seem like flimsy LCD screens, even on their business-class models.

You should really really wait for Haswell and avoid getting a dedicated graphics card unless you wanna play Battlefield 3 or something. Instead of getting a graphics card, why not get a bigger badder processor?

Plus, what do you need the Blu-Ray drive for? Unless you wanna watch a bunch of movies on the go, you could just buy a USB drive or something. That's what I do for DVDs.

e: So, what do you really want out of this thing? Do you want to be able to play video games on it? If so, which ones? Looking around, with those specs, you could get a really good ultrabook at 13 inches for less than $1200 without the graphics card. DO you want portability or performance?

Right, I wouldn't ever try to play an FPS on it. I use my current one for watching movies when I'm at home, when I'm away it's a replacement PC but any i5 has enough juice to do that. Phones and tablets are crap for that with the small screen and touch keyboards. The bluray drive could be a waste, I just have quite a few of them. Performance isn't a priority, I'm more concerned with a good screen and quietness.