Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I can't decide between laptops for gaming/photoshop/youtube/shitposting. I have a 16 litre itx system but its really heavy and not actually very portable. I want something to take between home and girlfriends house on the weekends/random weekday night etc. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Legion 7 slim with 3060 at 1300, legion 5 pro with 3070 at 1650 or asus g15 with 3070 for 1850. Legion 7 seems nice with all metal build and a 1080p screen with the 3060 should be fine for most games this generation, I just wish it had an rj45 port. The g15 seems to have better build quality than the 5 pro and has the superior keyboard and trackpad layout, but the exhaust vents directly onto the screen which seems bad. The 5 pro looks a little gamerish and has a bad trackpad location, but the mux switch and larger chassis mean slightly better performance. Or I could build a smaller aircooled itx system and get an apple m1 air for very light gaming and extra portability.

If I go with the l5pro or the g15, I'll get rid of my desk and desktop at home so I guess take that into consideration. My most recent games that I've played a bunch were New World, Inscryption, AC: Valhalla, Hades, Forza Horizon 4 and RDR2 to get an idea of my likes. Any input or suggestions? Will I hate myself going from a high powered desktop to a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/o...ck&pStoreID=epp

Omen 17 with a 3070 is currently 850 with free shipping.

Canna Happy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Wow, that's a better deal than anything I saw on Black Friday

Yeah, I bought one. Too good to pass up.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/o...ck&pStoreID=epp

Try that one

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I don’t know. It showed that price prior to log in as well. https://imgur.com/a/rGvbd13

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

pixaal posted:

Anyone snag that deal and get it honored?

They haven’t canceled mine yet, but I highly doubt I end up with a laptop at my door.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

I’m looking at getting that exact laptop, any regrets?

Probably direct through Lenovo’s site, they’re on sale now but exact same specs.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/637182/lenovo-legion-5-15-156-gaming-laptop-computer-blue?storeid=029

I got a legion 5 pro from Walmart about two weeks ago and it’s nice so far. The brick is huge and the laptop is a little chunky but it runs cool and the screen is nice. It was only 1399 for the 580h/3070/16gb model.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Pretty sure the bottom sodimm is 4gb due to chips on the rear? Must just have the wrong sticker.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

bike tory posted:

Any goon reckons on the ASUS ROG laptops? The Zephyrus g14 looks like it'd do all the stuff I want for a reasonable price, and it reviews really well for build quality and stuff.

The 2021 g14 is the thread favorite for a lightweight gaming laptop that also has a long lasting battery. Its a safe buy if you need to actually move your laptop around. The new 2022 I haven't seen much about yet and I don't know if its actually purchasable atm.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

professor muthafukkah posted:

I have a question about this specific model you mentioned though, would I be able to notice any improvement compared to my current specs? I have a friend saying that the RTX 3060 is basically the same performance-wise as the RTX 2060, but I am not sure I believe them. Also, do you know if this specific RTX 3060 has good wattage?

Yeah it honestly depends. If I can fix my current machine then I'll definitely wait, but if not then unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy something now. Gonna check out the Legion 7s as well!

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

The 3060 in the Legion 5 pro will be a decent upgrade over your 2060. It should be 140watt boost, 125 watt when cpu usage isn't super light. Most of the time the thread recommends the g14 for portability, g15 for the overall package of portability and battery life, and the legion 5 pro/7 when it goes on sale (its kinda heavy, but it has a beautiful 16x10 165hz screen). I feel like the current gen laptops are somewhat overpriced, but we're sort of in between current and old gen stuff.
If you don't move your laptop around a ton, the 2021 legion 5 pro is very nice, and the walmart 5800h/3070 is a pretty ok deal still considering how much the new gen stuff costs. It will be a little slower than a new 12th gen intel for sure, but maybe its worth the savings. https://tinyurl.com/225u4xcb

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Do you need a laptop? You could build a very portable small form factor with that budget that will be faster, quieter, upgradable and better resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

300 nit screen. I have the older 500 nit on a 2021 and I like it more than my samsung g7 desktop monitor.