Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I ordered a Y410 from Lenovo last week and it should be coming in soon. But I realized I never looked into how easy it is to swap out the HD and RAM on this particular model. Is it as easy as it was with my old Y470? (Also, should I expect the 24GB SSD to be a normal sized 3.5" than can be swapped like the rotating HD?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

QuarkJets posted:

Why didn't you ask these questions before making your purchase? You could have saved some money on the HDD

Replacing the HDD and RAM on the Y410 is extremely easy, you just need a screwdriver. The user manual describes how to do it very well

The 24GB is not an SSD, it's just some cache space attached to the HDD.

Nice. So when they advertised it as "1TB + 24GB SSD", I figured it was two separate drives. (I should have realized there would be space issues if that was true, but I R dum.) I assumed the SSD was where the OS was going to be stored and the HDD was just for storage. Well poo poo.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 13, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been on a Lenovo T460 for the last few years (and Thinkpads in general for at least 15) and am looking to upgrade, but I know jack poo poo about the current environment. Is the E14 a proper scale up? I also hear good things about the X1, but looks pricey as gently caress. Is there something similar in, say ASUS? Big items I'm looking for are the 14" screen with as high a resolution as I can get; the classic durable ThinkPad type design; and something with a bit more video processing power, so the frame rate doesn't chug when I plug it into a 4K TV. No budget (but looking to be realistic on performance vs. price when talking $2000+).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

~Coxy posted:

E series is a step down. If you want classic Thinkpad then you should look at e.g. T14 Gen2.
If you customise a model you can add the MX450 (babby) GPU if you select the i7 CPU.

(The i7-1165G7 has Intel Iris Xe iGPU which may be enough for you anyway, especially compared to a 6th gen iGPU.)

Lockback posted:

The Asus line won't be as durable or feel as "tight" (if that makes sense) as the T460, but it'll feel a lot better than how you'd generally think a consumer laptop would. I agree with BurritoJustice that if you're just doing 4k monitor then you probably are alright whatever you choose.

Thanks, guys. Are the X1 carbons built like the T-series re: durability? I might as well splurge, and it is looking like T14gen2 w/ the UHD display is impossible to find let alone one with the added GPU. Lenovo is doing a June sale for all their Thinkpads, and it looks like the X1 is the only one they have in stock w/ a UHD screen. (The giant SSD HD, extra RAM, and faster DDR4 don't hurt either.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone here fiddle with a Framework DIY laptop? Is the hardware good for the price? Or is it more of a faux DIY gimmick with a few extra self-repair options?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anybody use an Asus ROG Zephyr G14? I'm looking for a 14" with some more video processing oomph to replace a Thinkpad X1 Carbon. But I've never used an Asus laptop before. Is the construction/form factor up to snuff? I understand it won't be quite as slim, but good hinges and cooling that doesn't sound like a typhoon when doing medium level video editing?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Man...I've been waiting for 14" Razers to adopt a 16:10 aspect ratio. This is looking really good, but my current laptop is less than 2 years old. And I'm not exactly sure I need this much horsepower. >_>

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/razer-...p?skuId=6549075

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like Lenovos. I have a X1 Carbon right now, and my last one was a T14.

That said, my X1's motherboard exploded after 3 months, and their customer service is absolute horseshit. Their call-in system in the US is linked with IIRC HP or some other manufacturer. I got routed around so many times, I almost just tossed the drat thing.

The only saving grace is that I had an authorized repair center a short subway trip away and that guy was pretty on point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Might be a dumb question. Does the 16GB version of Razer laptops come with 2 x 8GB sticks or 1 x 16GB stick? Just wondering how much extra RAM I'd need to buy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've had 4 moderately expensive gaming machines in the last 16 or 17 years. 2 Asus, a Lenovo, and an MSI. They all had two occupied dimm slots. I don't know much about razers though. I don't think they'd be foolish enough to sell one of their premium gaming laptops with a single channel ram setup, but I guess you never know for sure. Best bet would be to search the particular "model number + teardown". Odds are someone somewhere has prized off the bottom panel.

I appreciate all the responses to the DIMM slot question. Haven't been able to find an answer for this year's Razers, but I guess for thread cognizance, ROG Zephyrus 14s from this year (which is the other one I'm looking at) come with one 16GB soldered and one open slot while the 2022 and earlier models were all 8 + 8 soldered which :psyduck:

BestBuy seems to have a decent deal on a trimmed down Zephyrus 14 prime for easy SSD/RAM upgrades.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hadlock posted:

:dogstare:

Y'all have got some weird as gently caress problems with your laptops

I don't think I've ever had a port issue with any device of any laptop, ever. Not since 2010 at least, probably all the way back to 2005 or so when I retired my PowerBook g4 and I had a express card 54 thing USB 1.1 adapter. Or using the "always on" USB 2.0 port

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9, and my main USB-C power stopped taking a charge three months after getting the MB replaced because the power supply just blew up and fried the whole thing which happened 2 months after buying the drat thing. (At least the port still does data.)

Lenovo makes great machines (usually) but has some of the worst customer service on the planet. So, I just use the secondary USB-C port to charge it. :nallears:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 2, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

down1nit posted:

It's fine for now, but in case you want to get it fixed Lenovo usually have great input protection in the form of polyfuses that are supposed to reset themselves but sometimes don't. It could be you just need a new one, or a new USB port controller; they absolutely can half die. Bet it doesn't output video or powers off your adapter. It doesn't touch low speed usb signals if designed right so you can put a memory stick in, but it'll only run at 2.0 speeds, generally.

Some repair shops do it, some do it cheap if rent is cheap, often they do it for way too much ($400+) and you should hang up. I do it for quite a lot of money ($275 in the bay area but you are encouraged to find some place local anyhow).

Huh. Good to know. Thanks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

change my name posted:

Hell yeah, this brings back memories of saving up money from my high school job to buy a fat brown Inspiron 1520 that would overheat and show corrupted textures in Crysis, Fallout 3, Kane and Lynch etc etc etc if you played for longer than 20 minutes at a time

When I was in high school, the new hotness we played on our chonker laptops was Alpha Centari. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

99pct of germs posted:

After a lot of looking and researching I think I finally settled on the 14'' Legion Slim 5 with Ryzen 7 7840S, RTX 4060, 32GB RAM and an OLED screen. It's checking all of my boxes: lowkey design, portable, nice build quality, beautiful display, great battery life, great gaming performance for what I would play.

The only thing bothering me is the RAM is soldered, and you can only get the 32GB configuration directly from Lenovo. It totals around $1400 USD.

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM. And while $1400 seems pretty good is it worth waiting for a sale or do I risk it being memory-holed for the 2024 version?

Where did you find a Legion Slim 5 with 32GB ram and a 4060 for $1400?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Huh. I actually checked lenovo's site before posting, and I completely missed the build-your-own option.

That said, why don't they offer 32GB ram with a 4070? Does it cost that much to standardize on additional variant with what is essentially a swappable graphics card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

16 inches? Gross...