Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 and a Gigabyte p35W v2 gaming laptop (i7/870m) in preparation for grad school abroad. My previous 2 laptops were 13" MacBook Airs. Some quick thoughts if you're thinking of buying either:-

Surface Pro 3
  • Switching from OS X to Win 8.1 takes some getting used to, especially with Microsoft presenting somewhat of a mixed metaphor with Metro and the classic desktop running side-by-side
  • The high res screen looks gorgeous compared to the MBA panel. Prefer the MBA's matte screen over the SP3 glossy
  • The keyboard on the Type Cover 3 is competent but the trackpad isn't great
  • Kickstand works well for most use cases (e.g., work desk, cafés etc.) but not for lap use
  • Pleasantly surprised by the battery life since most reviews mention the SP3 having a significantly shorter battery life than MBAs. I'm 8.5 hours into my current cycle with about another hour left on light-medium use(i.e., emails, web browsing, music stream running, working on an Office ppt). Note that I've been using Metro apps where possible as they seem to hit the battery less
  • Fan(s) are inaudible
  • Played around with the stylus and OneNote but haven't really stress tested note-taking. Will get a better sense once school starts

Gigabyte p35W v2
  • Skinny for a gaming laptop but definitely not something I'd want to lug around
  • Gaming performance is great at 1080p. Wolf:NWO, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: HR, Dark Souls run perfectly with "high" settings turned on. Sleeping Dogs runs in the 40-50s on high
  • Always plugged in so haven't really observed battery life
  • Keyboard is ok for gaming but I wouldn't play an FPS on it
  • Fan is loud when gaming but not noticeable through my headphones
  • Screen panel is decent/good. Not as good as the SP3 but likely largely due to the DPI difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Use a Mac with Parallels. It allows you to run a Windows instance from OS X. And it'll run fine on a MBA if you're talking about Excel macro/VBA poo poo and SAS.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there a laptop with a 15.6" screen that has:

-Great battery life (~8 hours)
-Full numpad
-switchable graphics
-Isn't gaming-themed

I will be working out of a hotel room for a month and want something of a desktop replacement but definitely not a 17" monster. Budget is $1,500 but I would consider spending more for the perfect laptop though.

I've done long stay business trips - just buy an LCD monitor, keyboard, and mouse and chuck it once you're done.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Get an MBA or MBP (or Surface Pro 3 if you're open to note-taking on a tablet).
They're more than sufficient for any kind of workload that b-school would entail.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any spreadsheet work required for MBA financial accounting classes won't require substantial manual data entry of numbers.

I'd focus more on something lightweight and with good battery life - MBAs/MBPs are great. If he needs to use Windows applications, I'd also recommend using Parallels over Bootcamp.

(I'm doing an MBA and recently completed the CFA).

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No one's going to care what laptop you use and while there's a sizeable Apple contingent on my end at least, you see a lot of people using other brands.

I have an SP3 myself.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I honestly wouldn't overthink speccing the right laptop for b-school.
1080p is a nice-to-have and not essential especially if you're used to a lower res laptop screen and it'd breaches your budget.

And are you guys talking MBA or undergrad? If it's the former, I'm a bit surprised at the number of MBA goons coming out of the woodwork.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

You could take a look at the Dell XPS or the Asus Zenbook.
I should also correct myself in saying that whatever brand/model you end up with, you should try to get it with a SSD.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

There are no benchmarks published yet, but the initial reviews said, "faster than some low end Chromebooks".

I'm thinking about ordering one to keep on top of work email at the office. 10 hour battery life is pretty tempting at $150. We just retired our blackberries at work and so everyone is transitioning to BYOD to keep on top of email and production alerts, and a chromebook at $150 with a keyboard is ideal. Senior management has mostly transitioned to personal iPad minis with laptop style keyboard covers.

I bought a current-gen Acer Chromebook 11 to supplement a Surface Pro 3 for couch surfing and have been pleasantly surprised by it and the Chromebook concept as a whole. Battery life's great (9+ hours) and performance with a fan-less Celeron setup hasn't been an issue with a bunch of tabs open and HD YouTube/Spotify/podcast running in the background. lovely low-res/low-brightness screen but it's not something I care about for browsing.

If anything, it's highlighted the SP3's flaws - poor battery life, fan kicking in even for YouTube, high-DPI desktop being a pain-in-the-rear end to navigate on a small screen, kickstand being shite for couch-surfing etc.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any thoughts on the Razer Blade 15?

I have a 1080 Ti desktop and a Macbook 12" but my SO offered to get me a RB15 as a Christmas present for on-the-go gaming.

Reviews seem to mention heat issues.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's a good docking solution for a 13" MBP that takes in 60W?

what are the considerations between a thunderbolt one and a usb-c one, and the various display output options?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Microsoft announcing they're embedding a full Linux kernel into Windows 10 might help some developers to switch over to a Windows laptop.

That's the only thing keeping me on an MBP these days.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any gaming laptops that don't sound like jet engines when gaming?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is the rog g14 basically out of stock for the foreseeable future?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

amd not supporting thunderbolt really sucks considering how good ryzen laptops are otherwise

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I use thunderbolt for eGPU CUDA stuff. There’s literally no other way to connect the video card so...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hobby machine learning stuff (kaggle competitions)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i mean anyone getting a laptop with a beefy videocard is going to be gaming in Windows and you can run linux from Windows using WSL
i tried running steam games using proton in linux and while it worked for the most part, it's still not worth the performance hit

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Suspend support is still iffy - could never get it to work on my Razer gaming laptop

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is it worth trying to get a TB4 dock over a TB3 one?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Got gifted an Asus 2-in-1 laptop (the 14" flip OLED) over Christmas and have been trying it out for a month as a possible replacement for my Macbook Air M1 + iPad Pro for note-taking.

On the plus side, performance and battery life on the 6800H was great - I was getting about 10 hours of mixed productivity work with some basic power control settings.
The 90HZ OLED screen was good although I've never understood laptops that come with super-glossy screens - it's unusable in daylight.
Tablet facing software in Windows 11 is decent enough - there's a tablet-specific taskbar and touch is good.

The downside and this kills it for me, is the stylus functionality. Writing feels like dogshit and fails to capture strokes just enough that it's not practical for note-taking.

Here's hoping to the rumored upcoming touch support for Apple laptops includes stylus support.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

goddamn are gaming laptop chargers chonky - the one that came with a new work laptop is like 3 pounds
apparently it charges thru USB PD if i get a 100W (GAN) charger

is there any downside to charging thru PD e.g., battery cycling? i don't think the stuff i'll do on it on the go will require > 100W

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

any tips on configuring a laptop for gaming (13980HX, 4090m)?
it comes with an asus software, armoury core, that hides stuff behind performance profiles but i'm trying to see if i can use a manual profile.
i don't mind trading off some performance for a quieter experience - i've currently set the CPU PL1/PL2 to 50W and turned off GPU boost and overclocking...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

laptop makers have had to push back their 2023 AMD laptop launches by a couple months
a 7840HS with a 4070/4080 would potentially be a great on-the-go work laptop that doubles up for gaming

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

With my Asus laptop, you're locked out of Turbo and Manual modes on their performance control software as long as you're not using their full fat barrel plug charger

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the notebookcheck article on the 7940HS is a bit disappointing - was hoping for a performance/efficiency uplift over the 6800 laptop chips but

quote:

AMD also has the problem that this performance increase comes with increased consumption, which is why its single-core efficiency is worse than last year's old Zen3+ chips despite its higher performance...
its idle power consumption has increased slightly and here, the Intel chips also end up being more efficient.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have the nreal air - bought it for watching videos on long flights
the OLED screen and fidelity are legit but they haven't solved the eye strain I get when I use any of these VR/AR devices for more than a couple hours

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you might want to consider a Windows laptop with an Nvidia graphics card if the kid is planning to code on the laptop

most people doing data science with macs end up remoting into a linux box so depends on if the student has access to a school server or something

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gaming laptop prices tend to drop like a rock especially after a newer model gets released

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i picked up an asus zephyrus g14 with a 7940HS and 4090 for gaming on vacation after having generally good experiences with a work asus scar 16 (13980HX with a 4090)

kinda nuts how much more power efficent AMD (gaming) laptops are compared to intel - the g14 consumes about 9-10W with browsing workloads while the scar 16 easily hits double that.
it does run noticeably hotter than the scar 16 when gaming but that comes down to the 14" versus 16" form factors

neat thing about the g14 series also is that there's a very good open source taskbar app, the g-helper, that allows you to switch power modes and display settings quickly

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

can't he just get a 2.5" external enclosure?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

GFN is fine if you can't get a gaming PC for whatever reason but it's pretty limited and you're starting to see it struggle with games like starfield due to anemic CPUs even on the highest tier

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bought a 14" M3 Pro MBP recently for vacation travel and while I love the battery and speed on it, I've also realized I actually like the Asus Zephyrus G14 I bought last year more.

The latter being loaded with a 4090 makes for great gaming but the more surprising thing was I actually prefer the trackpad and keyboard on the Zephyrus.

The only thing keeping me on the MBP is the battery life - it's pretty unfortunate that even with the more power efficient AMD chips, x86 Windows laptops struggle to get half of the battery life of Macs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

change my name posted:

The new 2024 G14 supposedly gets 12+ hours of battery life but tops out at a 4070

there's always been a gap between the reviewed and actual battery life of the G14s (and Windows laptops in general). it's intrinsic to Windows and extends to semi-related stuff like suspend working like poo poo.

my experience with actual real-life usage of running browser tabs + visual studio code + slack + discord + zoom + spotify gets me 3 hours at best on the G14. i can get above 10 hours on the MBP. to be clear, i'm not loading all the apps all the time - just switching between them and having stuff like spotify in the background.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Got the GPD Win Max 2 through IGG. If you've never heard of GPD, they're a Chinese boutique gaming handheld outfit.
The Win Max 2 is essentially a 10.1 inch "subnotebook" with a 8840U and integrated joysticks (below official images). The joysticks are the main selling point along with a oculink port that lets you hook up eGPUs with more bandwidth than TB4.

Typing experience has been great on it - probably better than any other gaming handheld and arguably laptop level. Controllers are fine but it weighs 2lbs so you rest it on a desk to play games. Screen is great - 2560x1600 IPS on a 10" is extremely high DPI. Battery life is good for an AMD handheld especially since it has a 68Wh battery. 8-9 hours for browser/day-to-day stuff. 2-4h for gaming.

Ultimately, I'm going to try to use it as a substitute for MBP/Steamdeck when I travel.