Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Skooms posted:

I posted earlier about purchasing a laptop from Lenovo - I'm still having trouble getting an account set up with the B&N link. I've tried three times now, using different e-mail addresses to no effect. Anyone else had similar problems?

I never got my e-mail to activate my account, but resetting my password after I created my account worked and let me log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Is there anywhere cheaper than Newegg I can pick up a laptop hard drive? I was gifted an old T400 sans hard drive with 8GB ram I'd like to put to work in a VM farm.

$35 shipped seems to be the cheapest I can find. I just need ~60GB to get WS2012 installed on there...

My local Microcenter sells refurbished drives dirt cheap. If you live near one it may be worth checking out.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

I don't think you can buy new UMPCs anymore. Googling for the Wibrain B1 gets lots of news articles from 2007-2008 but nothing recent and searching Google Shopping for UMPC generically gets lots of hits for used hardware and the new hardware it does find is both extremely expensive and has worse specs than a modern tablet. If you really need something smaller than an ultra-portable laptop that can run Windows software your best bet is probably the Surface Pro or one of the other Atom-based full-PC tablets we were discussing on the last page.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

rivid posted:

Hey guys, I'm still ruing a Lenovo R61i I bought in 2008. As you can imagine, the thing can run like slug sometimes. It's got two gigs of ram and a 1.86 Ghz processor. According to the motherboard that's in it (specs here), I can upgrade to a 2.80 GHz processor, and 4 gigs of RAM. Well, 3 I suppose, because I can't support a 64-bit processor. Right? Anyways I would be able to get this stuff for less than forty dollars. What do you guys think? I think it beats $600 for a new laptop for the time being.

Laptop CPUs aren't usually upgradable. While it seems yours is in a socket instead of soldered in, there's no telling if the BIOS would recognize the faster CPU or run it at its full speed and if the cooling and power systems would handle the increased load from a nearly 1GHz faster CPU. Upgrading the RAM seems like a good idea though.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Superfish caused me to pause before recommending Lenovo Notebooks.

This makes me actively campaign against them.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/lenovo-used-windows-anti-theft-feature-to-install-persistent-crapware/

Inexcusable on every level and especially tone deaf after the whole Superfish debacle.

Yeah, can we get a section in the OP about this crap? If people want to buy them they should at the very least be aware of the risk they're taking.