Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I’ve had a 13 inch XPS with an i7 since 2018 as my daily driver. I love this thing but I didn’t realize the RAM was soldered in so I’m stuck with 8gb and it’s just not enough anymore. OneDrive makes the fans go nuts when nothing else is even running.

I’m doing dev work now and want to play the occasional game. I also work from home and have a desk with wheels that I roll around the house so I can follow the sun. I was planning on getting a desktop for gaming/to use as a server, but that wouldn’t work too well with my desk situation.

I don’t really want a laptop with a dGPU because I wouldn’t need it all the time. So I’ve been thinking about getting an external GPU enclosure and hooking it up whenever I feel like playing. Does anyone have any experience using a laptop with an external GPU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mantle posted:

Have you considered an AMD 7040 or 8040? They run cooler and have about a the same performance as a GTX 1060 which might be enough for occasional gaming depending on what games you play.

I’ve been eyeballing the XPS 14 which only comes with an Intel Core Ultra 7. Adding a dGPU is an extra $400, but I already have a 960 laying around which is fine for playing Doom Eternal, which is the most graphically intensive game I play (I currently use it with an i5-2500k which is from Obama’s first term and it’s fine). That’s why I’m thinking about the GPU enclosure.

ETA: not opposed to AMD, just prefer intel but upthread there’s some posts about AMD being more efficient and cooler so I’m open to options. Also I got a tablet last year and love the form factor so thinking about 2-in-1s as well.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah, I can’t tell which is the worse bottleneck, the CPU or GPU. Probably the CPU.

I really love the build quality of the XPS and want to replace it with something on the same level, I know it will cost a little more but it’s worth it to me when it’s something I literally have used every day for the past 6 years. The extra hundred or whatever I spent is long forgotten, but I think about how great the laptop feels every time I pick it up.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Lockback posted:

External GPUs work, but you'll be spending more money for lower performance, some compatibility/connector issues, and an extra Thing that needs to be lugged around. In general I think they make sense in a pretty narrow use case.

The AMD suggestion is because their iGPUs are really pretty decent, but that entirely depends on what kind of games you're looking at playing.

I won’t be gaming outside the house, so my thought is that I won’t be lugging around a GPU that I don’t need except for 1% of the time.

I’m looking at the Lenovo Legion 14 inch now but they don’t have the Ryzen 9 with 32 gb of RAM still, take my money drat it!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

buffbus posted:

I went from an old desktop with a GTX 1650 to a rog ally often connected to a usb-c monitor/dock and can confirm it's nearly equal when plugged in.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think the pro move is to get a rog ally or steam deck or something like that for close to the same price as adding a dGPU or eGPU, and just get a laptop with integrated graphics.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah I guess I had the wrong idea about the performence of those devices. I think I'm just not going to worry too much about gaming on the laptop, I found a mint condition XPS 13 inch with an i7-1360p, 32gb ram, 2tb nvme drive, and the touchscreen, for a little over $1000. Not the very newest but it checks all my boxes for (I think) a good price (for an XPS, but again, I love build of my old one).

edit: the same build on Dell's website is over $2300, lol what

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13-plus-laptop/spd/xps-13-9320-laptop/usexchcto9320rpl02

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I've used Thinkpads for work for years and I'd rather die than have to use one as my personal laptop due to the strong association I have with Thinpad = work.

Mental Hospitality posted:

~1000USD doesn't seem too bad for an XPS13. I priced out a Thinkpad X13 with a Ryzen 7840U but otherwise comparable specs and it came out to about $1200. It was limited to a 1TB drive though. Alternatively the new 14in Slim 7i can be had with the brand new Core Ultra 7 155H, 32GB of ram, and a touchscreen OLED for $1100 which I think would actually own bones.

Is the Core Ultra 7 enough of a step up from the i7-1360p to consider going that route instead?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Core Ultra 7 is just the new marketing name for core i7. It's going to depend on which one. Generally more P cores is more useful cores and what you want for performance but will also mean higher watts TDP and battery use.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/processors/core-ultra/products.html

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232155/intel-core-i71360p-processor-18m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz/specifications.html

Thanks! The Slim 7i that Mental Hospitality posted about is actually super tempting, seems like a good deal. It doesn't look like my local Best Buy has it so I can't go put my hands on it unfortunately

edit: One thing that bugs me about my current laptop is that it can only do 3 displays. Intel's site doesn't say the number of displays supported for the Core Ultra 7 155H. I'm searching the web but can't seem to find it, any chance anyone has seen something about that? I'm sure it's 4, but I'm not actually sure.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 15, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Mental Hospitality posted:

The Ultra benefits from 2 more Performance cores than the 1360p, and a much improved integrated graphics architecture. I'd say it's a better chip in almost every regard, but how much of that is noticeable to you probably depends on the use case and how the rest of the system is constructed. Graphics performance will absolutely be an improvement.

I haven't put hands on the Slim 7i, but if it's built anything like my Yoga 7i, then I think you'd be impressed with the build. The Yoga feels very solid and dense. Does the XPS you were looking at have an OLED display as well? That alone could be a major selling point.

Edit: Actually, here's a very recent review of that exact Lenovo. They complained the display is only FHD (technically WUXGA I guess) at 60hz. A resolution I think is still perfectly fine on a sub 15in device but I could see why others might want a little more. Even my older Yoga has a higher resolution LCD.

It actually does have a 4k OLED. I don’t care as much about the resolution though, I use a dock at home with 3/4 monitors.

I’m pretty much sold on it instead of the XPS, I don’t care about the storage or resolution enough to pass up the improved cpu/gpu. It’s only $40 more. Estimated arrival is 2 weeks+ though, that’s basically eternity.

Edit: went all the way to checkout and the ETA is now mid-April :wtc:

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 16, 2024

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Can a Chromebook run VSCode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Do you use the controls while it’s sitting on the desk?