Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Boner Slam posted:

Thinkpads become less and less sturdy and try to be more pretty. Removal of the top mouse buttons is a terrible idea but since the nipple mouse will probably not survive another model iteration anyway it doesn't matter. Removal of the clamshell design is a bummer, as is the worse build quality. The non-removable battery is a disaster.
Other than that it is a good computer, but then so is an Apple.
I don't really see any improvement as such but since you have to move somehwere I understand the direction they are going. I guess buying a cheap T430 or somesuch in the next months would be nice. I have the slight hope that they might chose to go back to a more sturdy and traditional design for the W series but there's no indication for it.

Where are you getting that it's less sturdy / worse build quality than the old design? I can't see it in the review. I've had the X1 Carbon for a bit over half a year and it withstands travel and my general clumsiness just as well as my old T420s. The non-clamshell design is fine I think, it doesn't open spontaneously when you drop it. I agree the buttons being gone is terrible, the touchpad isn't bad but I have it disabled anyway.

Although the X1 Carbon seems great for travel, the limited connection options make it impractical. Having to drag along adapters for VGA (that don't work half the time) and ethernet defeats the point of a small laptop really. If there's a Haswell refresh (or is that going to be 440s?) with non terrible screen I'll probably get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Anti-Derivative posted:

How does the X1 fare against the X230. The x1 looks like it has a much sleeker form factor, but is it a pile of poo poo?

It's thinner mostly. I've dropped it a few times and spilled a bunch of water on it and it shrugs that off like a regular Thinkpad. I haven't seen the X230 in person yet but the X1 has a decent screen (for a TN panel) and a good trackpad (red dot is still better). Battery life isn't great, I get about 5 hours max with the screen half dimmed.

The thinness means you only have 2 usb ports and a mini DisplayPort. Everytime you want to connect VGA or Ethernet you need to fiddle with adapters and hope it works. No docking port (!) and the USB 3.0 dock has a crappy graphics chip in it that makes it slow as balls. I don't know how Mac people deal with this because all this adapter and cable plugging business pisses me off to no end.

Get the X1 if you haul it around a lot and need a bigger resolution / care about weight or thinness. I mostly take it with me when doing hand luggage only travel. Or wait for the Haswell refresh of the T431s whatever it's going to be called, but that could be a while out.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

They claim up to 6 hours with a 3 cell internal battery. That's a stretch and my bullshit detector is going crazy. I wish everyone was more like Apple and actually told you the conditions on how they get the battery life.

I think there's two of them, one internal and one swappable. 6 hours on a 6 cell seems at least possible but who knows how optimistic it is. Other than that I really like the specs, it has everything I wish for in a laptop.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

hotsauce posted:

Just look at the trendy fella in first class, spreadsheeting it up. He's very important and makes a lot of money.

This could be you.

-Lenovo

Hey, they are getting all trendy, trying to compete with Apple. I'm a fan of this angle. Death to 1366.

I always wanted to know what kind of email the VIPs read

It's the ghacks.net newsletter, he's got like 6 of them in his inbox and nothing else. Ghacks.net is apparantly a real thing so I signed up for the newsletter, I'm bound to be a rich dude soon.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

Apparently the CD has data migration software, should I use that instead of Macrium Reflect, or does it kinda suck?

It kinda sucks. It can only transfer the boot drive and doesn't do partitions. I put a SSD and hard drive in my PC and it wasn't up for the job, I used this tool by WD and that worked perfectly - drive was a Seagate :ssh: