Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

They want you to start using touch input by never, ever using the trackpad. What the hell do you rest your palms on? The keyboard? What the hell good can come of this?

In the review I read, the acer rep basically said "err, umm, most people use external mice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm also interested in the lenovo Y410p so if anyone has first-hand experience with the build quality of the Y400/Y480 that would be nice. I've read about the trackpad on the Y500 being bad.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everything I've read says the y410p's panel is matte

e: nevermind, found a thread where they're saying its pretty glossy but lenovo is saying it's "anti-glare", whatever

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 13, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The hard drive is terrible but apparently putting a SSD into lenovo's Y series is pretty easy, so I plan on getting a 120 GB SSD off newegg along with the laptop. Besides that hard drive issue, is there anything else I'm missing or should be made aware of before I buy this laptop?

The y410p with integrated SSD isn't msata, it's m.2 or something. Doesn't matter if you're replacing the 1TB drive

mewse
May 2, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I don't know what that means.

Also the $790 y410p doesn't come with an integrated SSD at all.

The y400 had a spot for a msata ssd so you could have a 120 gig SSD in addition to the 1TB spinning hard drive. The y410p has changed it to an m.2 (?) ssd and that form factor isn't available from retailers yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're just going to replace the 1TB hard drive you can use a standard SSD

Yeah you can replace the 1TB drive with a regular 2.5" ssd.

Once m.2 SSDs are on the market you could have both installed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah if it succeeds at being a macbook air that isn't a pretentious piece of poo poo then it might be pretty successful

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That's not even their stupidest name.

- I like how the font keeps getting smaller as they get more embarrassed
- Of all the things they rip off from Apple, they can't take a hint about having clear, distinct product lines? Do they have Microsoft naming their products for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvh5k1RWER4

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm struggling to find any good reviews of lenovo's Y410p. There are unboxing videos on youtube and gripes about drivers for windows 7 blah blah but no professional reviews from respected sites. Is it because they started taking orders before shipping review units or something? I'm confused

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think manufacturers 'get' that the reason a lot of people love tablets is because they're cheap and simple and no bullshit. You don't have to sit there fiddling with settings and installing updates and poo poo all the time. You just turn it on and it activates instantly and then you fart around on the internet and throw it back on the couch without anything breaking. You don't have to worry - no fans to cover up or break, no hard drives, no mice or power bricks to pack around.

The push is coming from Microsoft who literally believe they can leverage their desktop business into some sort of tablet presence, while they cover their ears and yell "LALALALALAL" at customers who think Windows 8 is an awful desktop experience

mewse
May 2, 2006

So I bought a refurbed asus q200e. It's a 11.6" laptop with a touchscreen. I figure it's as close to a netbook as asus produces anymore.

Anyway, the Win8 install on the thing was so loving broken. I'm not very familiar with Windows 8 but I wanted to use it like it's intended to be used, with the touchscreen, but stupid crap kept happening like the wifi connection would drop, and windows updates were getting stuck on 0% downloaded. There was also a bunch of asus crap loaded that was impossible to figure out what was essential and what was bloat.

Finally in frustration I decided to install Windows 7.

Being a Windows 8 laptop, asus doesn't provide any windows 7 drivers on their support site. Fuuuuck.

The worst part was probably that Intel's "detect my hardware" thing didn't detect the USB 3 controller and the SMBus controller. I had to manually download a USB3 driver bundle and then download a desktop driver bundle for series 7 chipsets, because choosing series 7 express for notebooks said "no drivers available".

Atheros drivers were fairly painless to hunt down since there's a bunch of third party websites dedicated to cataloging their broken poo poo. The Win7 driver seems to be 50 versions ahead of the Win8 driver and doesn't randomly drop connections, imagine that.

So it was a pretty frustrating experience overall and I probably still have to find some touchpad drivers that will give me two finger scrolling back.

e: One last note, the build quality feels fantastic, it's a similar shape and style to my older 10" asus netbook but the display cover and palm rest panels are both metal, and there's no removable battery, borrowing slimness techniques from ultrabooks I guess. The 1366x768 display panel sucks as expected but it's 11.6" so the resolution is ok.

mewse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 21, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

Athropos posted:

What do you guys think about the new ASUS N550JV?

I found the official product page and it says they all have IPS panels, looks like a good laptop. Too bad it comes with a blu ray drive tho.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why are lenovo ideapads like $100 more expensive than a couple months ago? Does this happen every year to fleece the university crowd?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh boy a 1960x1080 screen

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Maybe I've been under a rock, but can you reflash the bios within windows like that?

Yep, I do it on HP machines all the time at work

mewse
May 2, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Googled Lenovo barnes and noble canada, and on the notebook review forum, I found this link.

Yup, password is fndepp

mewse
May 2, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

Can anyone with a ~14" 1080p laptop weigh in on how font/icons sizes are? Looking at the T440p and wondering if the 14" 1080p screen might make things a little too small.

Things are a little small. Windows 8 is set to 150% in control panel > display, some things support it and some things get visibly stretched and blurred because they don't support the scaling natively.

Chrome in metro mode uses the scaling, in desktop mode it gets blurred, so I had to modify properties of the shortcut to launch without display scaling, and then set chrome's internal zoom.

It's kinda weird.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I agree that pressing the windows key, then the c key, then the o key, then the n key, then the enter key, is a lot more efficient than clicking the mouse, then clicking the mouse again

mewse
May 2, 2006

I paid for startisback

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't look like it's much different than the current one in tech specs.

IPS, magnesium chassis, fanless, looks pretty interesting

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah, that's definitely it. Quick question, as I've never used Ubuntu or gparted before in my life - do I just put gparted on one usb and ubuntu on another?

Ubuntu's install disc acts as a "livecd" where you should be able to run the included version of gparted without a separate download

mewse
May 2, 2006

Chrome does high DPI in metro mode but in desktop mode it's stretched, so I disabled stretching in the shortcut and just zoomed to 150% inside chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I'm trying to give away my old laptop (a Gateway EC1437) which hasn't been touched in maybe 6 months. I just reinstalled Windows 7 only to find that the hardware Wifi switch seems to be stuck. At least, it doesn't know it has a Wifi adapter and sliding the Wifi switch back and forth doesn't do anything. Any ideas here?

Try flashing the bios and/or reset bios to default settings