Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks Cheston.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Are the purple head signets you get in Egypt from the credit vendor any good?

I think some healers like the "healing" one, tank and DPS probably have better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Are the purple head signets you get in Egypt from the credit vendor any good?

The Healing one opens up a few neat options that you can't get elsewhere, so some Leech healers use it even with 10.4/10.4 gear. The Tank one isn't worth it. The DPS one might be worth it if you only ever solo in QL10 blues, but otherwise odds are you'll get enough Hit just from 10.1 and 10.2 nightmare drops.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Howdy, I just picked this up and have been playing for a few hours. I'm trying a leeching AR/Blood build, which has been okay so far, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if I should be having as much trouble as I am. I've done about 2 dozen missions, filled out one of the AR tracks and about 2/3 of the other, with a few points in the Blood tracks and I've got both my weapons and Major and Minor talisman skills to 2, Head is still at 1. My gear is all QL1 stuff from mob drops and quests, maybe a QL2 talisman or two, I don't remember. Nothing outstanding anyway.

I was doing okay but now I'm getting missions that are sending me against the draugr and other mobs with 1500-2500 hp, and unless I'm really careful I'm getting slaughtered. My 50 damage or so with Anima Shot isn't keeping up with the incoming damage and my 37-point Blood Barrier doesn't really help either. I can manage fine one-on-one, but if I ever pull two it gets hairy and three is pretty much a death sentence. Is this normal for where I am in the game, and what can I do to improve? Also, what are some ways of getting decent gear early on? I read that graveyard mission gets you a QL2 weapon at the end of it, but the sniper guy destroys me in seconds, so that hasn't really been an option yet.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Fenrisulfr posted:

Howdy, I just picked this up and have been playing for a few hours. I'm trying a leeching AR/Blood build, which has been okay so far, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if I should be having as much trouble as I am. I've done about 2 dozen missions, filled out one of the AR tracks and about 2/3 of the other, with a few points in the Blood tracks and I've got both my weapons and Major and Minor talisman skills to 2, Head is still at 1. My gear is all QL1 stuff from mob drops and quests, maybe a QL2 talisman or two, I don't remember. Nothing outstanding anyway.

I was doing okay but now I'm getting missions that are sending me against the draugr and other mobs with 1500-2500 hp, and unless I'm really careful I'm getting slaughtered. My 50 damage or so with Anima Shot isn't keeping up with the incoming damage and my 37-point Blood Barrier doesn't really help either. I can manage fine one-on-one, but if I ever pull two it gets hairy and three is pretty much a death sentence. Is this normal for where I am in the game, and what can I do to improve? Also, what are some ways of getting decent gear early on? I read that graveyard mission gets you a QL2 weapon at the end of it, but the sniper guy destroys me in seconds, so that hasn't really been an option yet.

This is not a game where you can take on multiple enemies (unless they are a swarm type, in which case you can)

Fighting a single dot enemy should be a solid fight, fighting two should be a near death experience. Watch your aggro or you'll spend a lot of time in the dirt. Also unless you actually have some healing talismans, your healing may as well be nonexistent.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fenrisulfr posted:

This game is hard, by design. Gotta be careful, or you are gonna die.

And it just gets harder(I'm in the second area of Egypt right now, and some of these bastards are just crazy frustrating to kill, even with all my gear QL8-10).

Also, remember to claim your XP shake from the store, and try and get some goons to take you on a Quarry run as soon as they say you are able. I got 38 SP and 130 AP from one hour there, and it helped quite a bit.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fenrisulfr posted:

That sniper guy can't snipe you if you run up to him (on the other hand the cannonball will suicide-bomb you in melee range). Regarding your setup, healing builds aren't that efficient solo. You either don't have the heal rating from gear to heal for a lot (as you noticed), and if you get more heal rating you do less damage and just take more for the longer time it takes you to kill things, increasing the chance that something else aggroes on you.

Anima shot as a backup heal is fine though, but don't overdo it with healing abilities for solo work. Also make sure to always pick up the higher attack rating pieces first, before filling your gear for other roles. Green gear has enough HP on attack pieces so you shouldn't need HP-heavy tank gear for soloing. And try to get into Polaris (or join awful chat so some goon can run you through, refer to the OP) which will give nice upgrades as well.

Worsted Weight
Oct 13, 2012

Fenrisulfr posted:

filled out one of the AR tracks and about 2/3 of the other, with a few points in the Blood tracks and I've got both my weapons and Major and Minor talisman skills to 2, Head is still at 1. My gear is all QL1 stuff from mob drops and quests, maybe a QL2 talisman or two, I don't remember. Nothing outstanding anyway.

This is also possibly part of it; talisman skills give small bonuses to defensive stats as you invest in them which can be surprisingly helpful (if only for the extra HP from Major Talismans (I think?) ) I found things went easier if I did my best to keep my talisman skills even with or slightly higher than my weapon skills, since once you're off Solomon SP picks up quite a bit. (Plus the obvious advantage of being able to wear better stuff.)

For gear, check what ratio of HP/attack/heal rating you've got on your talismans; for solo early PvE (I do not know the slightest thing about 'endgame') you pretty much only need one HP piece, and you should probably lean more towards attack rating than heal rating since killing things quickly is a little more helpful this early.

Also (as far as I know) leech builds don't handle multiple enemies very well early on, so having someone to buddy with is a huge help. (I second the advice about getting goons to run you through things. It will help.)

Not being able to handle more than two enemies is pretty much how it is going to be most of the game, though (unless you are a tank, but it will take forever). You need to be mindful of your surroundings pretty much all the time.

e:f;b on most of that, but oh well :v: It would be nice if someone could clarify re: talisman skills though, I've neglected my one remaining undergeared alt.

Worsted Weight fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 9, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Also, remember you can repeat missions. There are a fair few in Kingsmouth which offer good XP for minimal effort, and you can make a quick cycle out of them. The one I had was from Agartha, Bullets for Andy (from truck) -> Missing Person Quest (from board in Sheriff's office) -> Courier mission (Che) and RC helicopter -> Danny's flamethrower. Then from the dump you can run up towards the church, pick up the laundry lady side quest from the car crash and finish up at the church. I probably spent more time typing this up on my phone than it takes to finish those missions, and most of them just require you to take item A to point B (the courier one makes you kill a wendigo).

Also ask around in #awful (type "/chat join awful" in the chat window) and see if anyone's around who can help you out for a bit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Some of you scrubs need to sign into mumble. I have nothing better to do and want to run some dungeons. I don't even care what difficulty they are.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
If anyone has a spare buddy key, could you shoot it to tolstojevski at hushmail.com ? I would be much obliged, been wanting to give this a run.

EDIT: Downloading right now, thank you very much.

Tolstojevski fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 9, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tolstojevski posted:

If anyone has a spare buddy key, could you shoot it to tolstojevski at hushmail.com ? I would be much obliged, been wanting to give this a run.

Can do.

EDIT: Sent, hopefully.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Note on signets: Don't ever use benediction. The signet itself has a very minor effect, but that's not why it shouldn't be used. The signet is bugged and will occasionally (~10% of the time) make the defensive target take double damage from the next attack. The small bonus to mitigation it provides is completely negated by this and it can create awful situations where the tank gets 1-shotted. Having no signet is vastly preferable to having benediction.

Funcom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Would anyone be opposed to reforming the illuminati cabal? We have almost 500 people in it and there's only about a dozen that actually do things.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Would anyone be opposed to reforming the illuminati cabal? We have almost 500 people in it and there's only about a dozen that actually do things.

We just reformed the Templar cabal, you should jump on the band wagon.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Is there a brass knuckle fist weapon skin? If not, I want one.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Len posted:

I would just wait until after the next issue drops as that will be when you'd see the most activity so I think cat hearding would be easier then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marx posted:

I would just wait until after the next issue drops as that will be when you'd see the most activity so I think cat hearding would be easier then.

When issue 7 hit there was still only about a dozen people online in the lumi cabal at any given time.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Marx posted:

Issue 7 won't boost the numbers, 8 might bring in more due to more end game content being added, issue 9/Tokyo will be the big one for bringing people back which should drop near the end of summer.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

Issue 7 won't boost the numbers, 8 might bring in more due to more end game content being added, issue 9/Tokyo will be the big one for bringing people back which should drop near the end of summer.

I think Tokyo's more likely for Christmas at their current pace.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

We just reformed the Templar cabal, you should jump on the band wagon.

:dragon: playing the long game.

macnbc posted:

I think Tokyo's more likely for Christmas at their current pace.

:(

I'm hoping October, since they want to release it over time, but that's probably true.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone got some good ideas for a lumi cabal name?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Anyone got some good ideas for a lumi cabal name?

Geary's Army

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Horse Head Office
Pyramid Head Scheme
Just plain old "Awful Incorporated"

HughGRect posted:

Geary's Army
Geary's Goonsquad

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
I think we should see if we could get away with stealing popular company names for the lumi cabal.

Microsoft.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

We could go all current events and be "Prism Surveillance".

Actually, that works a little too well with the pyramid and all seeing eye stuff that it makes me a little :tinfoil:

Edit: though if we're going conspiracies, The Build-A-Burger Group

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 9, 2013

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Thanks to Killsion, Orcane, HughGRect, and Platbeard for doing a run of 18/18 Master Planner with two healers. Pulling 20-30 mobs at a time in Darkness Wars was hilarious.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

quote:

* Clarified Live Wire’s tooltip to indicate that it triggers off the 5th critical hit.
... so Live Wire is only 6% better than One in the Chamber, a non-elite? Was that done for PvP or something?

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

OneEightHundred posted:

... so Live Wire is only 6% better than One in the Chamber, a non-elite? Was that done for PvP or something?

I'm pretty sure it always worked that way actually.

It used to be considered the best DPS passive. But at the same time player knowledge about optimization improved, gear got better, and many better alternatives popped up. Stacking defense used to be considered the most optimal way to tank.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
What gets me isn't that it's worse than other DPS elite passives, it's that it's only marginally better than a non-elite passive.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

The "best" DPS passives is Fluid Defense, which is 8% versus Twist The Knife (9%), Ferocity (9%), and Lethality (10%), so it kind of goes with the general theme.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice everyone. Like I said I'm not really a big MMO player, so I wasn't sure if my experience so far meant I sucked or not (I do, but at least part of it is the difficulty of the game). Since I've picked up Slow the Advance and Three Round Burst things have been better, and now I know that when I see a large group of guys all packed together, it doesn't mean the game expects me to be able to handle them all, it means the designers were assholes.

A few more hours of playing and I'm doing a bit better. I've swapped out Blood for Elemental for now, since I basically wasn't using my Blood stuff at all and the Elemental stuff has helped bring my single-target damage up. gently caress that zombie hulk mission on Priest Island, though. I think I've died more times trying to do that one than all my other (non self-inflicted) deaths combined. Normal difficulty my pasty white rear end.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Fenrisulfr posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Like I said I'm not really a big MMO player, so I wasn't sure if my experience so far meant I sucked or not (I do, but at least part of it is the difficulty of the game). Since I've picked up Slow the Advance and Three Round Burst things have been better, and now I know that when I see a large group of guys all packed together, it doesn't mean the game expects me to be able to handle them all, it means the designers were assholes.

A few more hours of playing and I'm doing a bit better. I've swapped out Blood for Elemental for now, since I basically wasn't using my Blood stuff at all and the Elemental stuff has helped bring my single-target damage up. gently caress that zombie hulk mission on Priest Island, though. I think I've died more times trying to do that one than all my other (non self-inflicted) deaths combined. Normal difficulty my pasty white rear end.

Are you running in circles strafing around the enemy and avoiding standing in the poo poo? Because you should be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zephonith posted:

We could go all current events and be "Prism Surveillance".

Actually, that works a little too well with the pyramid and all seeing eye stuff that it makes me a little :tinfoil:

Edit: though if we're going conspiracies, The Build-A-Burger Group

The Build-A-Bear Group fits into the pun better, I think.

The best name I can come up with is the Low Men Eat Eyes.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Killsion posted:

Are you running in circles strafing around the enemy and avoiding standing in the poo poo? Because you should be.

Yeah, I'm terrible but not that terrible. But while I'm dancing around a hulk I'll stumble through a group of the weaker guys or aggro one of the muck-spewing guys (or another wandering hulk) and then my HP just drops like a rock. Dudes are really closely packed on that island, and they all move either as fast or faster than I do, so I haven't been able to run and live after getting too much aggro.

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013
I finally got totally pissed off about my propensity for continually eating dirt (sand?) in Egypt and grabbed my QL0 claim reward fist weapon and went back to Kingsmouth to beat up on zombies and feel like a champ again. This game really does kick your rear end if you don't give your strategy some thought, which is super cool (when I'm not brainfried from a horrific cold). I feel like I made a huge mistake going Blood/Blades for as long as I have, though.

What's the best time to hit up Mumble? I'd love to run stuff with people, now that I have my voice back, but I just seem to have poor timing.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Mumble is most active between 5 and 11 pm Est, with random goons on all the time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Americans' afternoons and evenings are usually when I see the most people (that is relative, it's never more than 5-10). Some people don't always log into Mumble and just use awful chat (and vice versa) so if you're looking for people you kinda have to check both. Oh and blood/blade can work, although the specifics of a build can hold any combination back.

That mission is a pain, although it's possible to outrun/avoid most patrols. The puking guys were by far the most annoying to me, some are sitting near the filth wells you have to close and they seem to have ridiculous respawn times. Keep in mind that mission difficulty works off your spent SP so if you have eg. QL4 skills and QL1-2 gear for this QL2/3 mission it will say "normal" even though with that gear it's not.

As for "large groups of guys", they're usually AoE packs (three smaller dots instead of one) or two linked single-dot mobs with half HP. Big groups of normal HP, single dot enemies rarely aggro all together or if they do you really aren't supposed to fight them alone (sabotage- or group missions, overpulling things in proximity).

Although they don't help if you're massively overpulling, bring potions. I know they're not exactly abundant in Kingsmouth yet, but ask in our chat or Mumble, or make your own. Leech potions get really good with AoE packs and when your damage goes up. HoT/heal potions are also quite good in a pinch and work better if your DPS is low or you're not attacking. I'm no fan of barrier potions for soloing because they don't actually heal you, and they don't work against bleeds.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 10, 2013

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I am enjoying the hell out of this game and its the MMO since WoW that I've really liked. I have to ask before buying though, did Funcom pull another AoC and the quality tanks after Kingsmouth?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

1stGear posted:

I am enjoying the hell out of this game and its the MMO since WoW that I've really liked. I have to ask before buying though, did Funcom pull another AoC and the quality tanks after Kingsmouth?

Nah, the quality maintains for the most part. There's some bad missions here and there, but it's overall pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

My least favorite part of the game is the City of the Sun God, which is the second part of Egypt. The storyline is interesting, but the environment just feels horrible. It's a giant 3d maze of valleys and ledges and navigating it for the first couple of times is obnoxious.

All the other zones are pretty good though.

• Locked thread