Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Bees subsist through tacosynthesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well it's am improvement to the Secret World "wiping your face with the food" method of taco-eating I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fewd posted:

Has anyone figured out some tweak to get rid of bloom in this game? That poo poo is seriously hideous at times and my eyes were hurting after some prolonged underground parts today.

I have no idea why developers even put bloom in their games, it's not like it even adds to the graphical realism unless you chew lsd and shrooms all day every day and are just used to everything glowing.

I'm not sure but if that's a thing that I can do I could actually play this game on my laptop.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fewd posted:

Has anyone figured out some tweak to get rid of bloom in this game?

I usually use the /setoption commands to remove particles to improve performance in pvp and the raid.

code:
/setoption SpellEffect_DisplayLevel 4<enter>

0-all particles, 1-only raid's particles, 2-only group's particles, 3-only your particles, 4-no particles.

There are a dozen or so visual debug options which can be accessed using the /setoption, rather then write each one out the easiest way to view them is to type:
code:
/setoption Debug<tab>
don't hit enter or space, hit tab which is an auto complete feature.
code:
/setoption RenderSetting<tab>
You can view the current setting by hitting enter without putting in an argument. For instance:
code:
/setoption SpellEffect_DisplayLevel<enter>
will display 'Variable <SpellEffect_DisplayLevel> is <0>'

Reset your GUI whenever your done making changes by using shift+ctrl+f1. The /reloadui command appears to reset all the changes back to the client defaults.

:siren:I recommend making a separate install of TSW if you are going to test a ton of things.:siren:

Joel has said a few times that some of these are legacy Age of Conan commands, and are not supported by TSW. But the fact that the particle option does work, makes me think these debugs could also work.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
If you disassemble a taco, you get a nacho. Where the filling goes, nobody knows. Maybe they ARE magic.

Also I've found that hammer/shotgun is a godsend for tanking with lovely gear because between Stonewalled, Trucker, Defensive Turret, Shotgun Turret with Improved Blasts, and Raging Volcano, it's stupidly easy to just pile up a ton of zero-effort mitigation on really short cooldowns. On the other hand, its AoE threat is kind of sketchy if you can't slot raging volcano because Ground Pound doesn't give bonus threat and Grand Slam doesn't proc Breakdown on targets hit by the AoE.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 16, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OneEightHundred posted:

If you disassemble a taco, you get a nacho. Where the filling goes, nobody knows. Maybe they ARE magic.

On top of the nachos to make a delicious taco meal?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Well fancy nachos can have the same things you find in a decent taco, cheese, meat, lettuce, sour cream(ew), ect, ect. Maybe it just goes onto the nachos.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HughGRect posted:

I usually use the /setoption commands to remove particles to improve performance in pvp and the raid.

Joel has said a few times that some of these are legacy Age of Conan commands, and are not supported by TSW. But the fact that the particle option does work, makes me think these debugs could also work.

This is why you can never see anything, isn't it?

(I will always accept the Hugh that is able to play.)

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

This is why you can never see anything, isn't it?

(I will always accept the Hugh that is able to play.)

Usually only affects me on machine tyrant, apparently big glowing reticles of destruction are particles.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I feel sorry for everyone who missed 18/18: The Musical.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

guppy posted:

I feel sorry for everyone who missed 18/18: The Musical.

And Hell Eternal: The Musical 2.

(Fun Fact: Music causes wipes.)

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Especially wipes of the other 18s group when you burst in and start singing during Machine Tyrant.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Some guy told me I'm weird because my alt is same faction as my original character. What am I supposed to do if I got altitis and the two other factions don't appeal to me :saddowns:

Also, I must say I really missed Kirsten Geary. Someone should archive all the poo poo she says for future generations.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Fewd posted:

unless you chew lsd and shrooms all day every day

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Phanatic posted:

I've been away for a while, thinking of starting back up again since it went FTP.

I feel sort of like I basically "won" the game, went through the main plotline, and left when it started feeling like a standard MMO with nothing to do but grind for better gear so I could do harder versions of the same instances or grind PvP for no particular reason.

But up until that point, the game was awesome. The Facility is probably the coolest story I've seen in an MMO, you could turn that into a Delta Green RPG adventure in no time flat. The investigation missions were generally fantastic, except for that one in Egypt with the light beams that were consistently broken unless you were the first one there after a server restart.

So is it worth it to download and update the client and come back? Have they added more really cool poo poo like the above, or is it just do-what-you've-already-done-so-you-can-do-it-some-more?

I unsubbed I think just about the time they announced they were going FTP, I got my rocket launcher, thought that whole addition was sort of silly and unthematic, and figured I'd take time off.

You're honestly probably not going to get a whole lot out of the game then. You can do the Issue 5 and 6 quest chains, and they're fantastic, but they're not going to take that long. All MMOs ultimately boil down to grinding dungeons to get swoler and swoler gear. There is no getting around this. MMOs are not for you in any kind of long term sense if this is a problem.

Wait til Tokyo if you're gonna come back.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

(Fun Fact: Music causes wipes.)

Its even more fun when your singing causes another groups wipes, especially when you link channels in mumble half way through an intense duet.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've been logging on this weekend to get my boots and potions because I haven't had time to play. Will the potions vanish from my bags at the end of the weekend?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

Its even more fun when your singing causes another groups wipes, especially when you link channels in mumble half way through an intense duet.

Hey, people kept saying this game needed a PAX sink.

Rasmussen posted:

I've been logging on this weekend to get my boots and potions because I haven't had time to play. Will the potions vanish from my bags at the end of the weekend?

I don't think that was specified at any point. Guess we'll find out in a few hours?

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

So I've got a really stupid newbie question: is there an upper limit on how many skill/ability points you can get/spend across all abilities? Or is that balanced out by the fact that you can't have more than 7 actives and 7 passives at once?

I ask because I have a unique talent for finding the most useless specs and creating them, and this game seems like it'd be really easy to gimp yourself in with poor skill/ability point choices.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

None whatsoever. Go hog wild.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

So I've got a really stupid newbie question: is there an upper limit on how many skill/ability points you can get/spend across all abilities? Or is that balanced out by the fact that you can't have more than 7 actives and 7 passives at once?

I ask because I have a unique talent for finding the most useless specs and creating them, and this game seems like it'd be really easy to gimp yourself in with poor skill/ability point choices.

Its possible that you could make a unique snowflake that can not handle the content in the mid levels like Blue Mountain or Egypt, but the rate you can get AP is high enough that any mistakes you make can be turned around with a day of re-running older missions or hooking up with other goons and steam rolling the difficult content.

You can, and eventually will, learn all the abilities in the game. So any mistakes you might think you made with a purchase now will most likely balance out later.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rasmussen posted:

The ones you claimed stay.

Sadly, I'm a clown and forgot to claim all four of them. I remembered when I logged off yesterday and couldn't be arsed to load London again (playing FF14 beta for a bit made TSW's loading times even more obviously terrible). Those pots are gone now. At least I got free boots, but this special weekend was a complete bust in my opinion. The special stuff was lame and they couldn't even be arsed to leave you the "rewards" if you didn't hit claim often enough :(

E: Also I'd like it if this game could stop getting me stuck on ladders.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 17, 2013

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Sorry if this has already been answered, but are there any more trial keys left to give out? I've been looking for a good MMO to sink my teeth into and would like to give this game a chance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

YZSGXJHAPHX8VAFQCESX there ya go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So today's lesson: Don't underestimate signets. My DPS build used to have a single minor throwaway blue signet, a single green Vigor, and that's all. I averaged about 1.5k DPS, which isn't that great.

I threw in another blue minor, two blues on my weapons, and a green on my head today. My DPS has increased by somewhere between 30% and 60%, and I'm now clocking somewhere int he region of 2.3k fairly regularly.

Hooray!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Ugh. I went to the official Lore forum. There are entire threads where people are just making stuff up. (And one thread where Ragnar posted after launch :()

I'm definitely gonna make a wiki now. Please suggest domain names/titles, because I can't think of anything to register and I don't want to wait and see if the obvious domain names expire.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Council of Venice Database feels like the most obvious to me. If you don't mind going factional, then The Illuminati Archives/The Templar Library/The Dragon's Equations.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

Ugh. I went to the official Lore forum. There are entire threads where people are just making stuff up. (And one thread where Ragnar posted after launch :()

I'm definitely gonna make a wiki now. Please suggest domain names/titles, because I can't think of anything to register and I don't want to wait and see if the obvious domain names expire.

FreeEvilBillMurray.com

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Cheston posted:

The Secret Wiki?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
ShitGearySays.com

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Library of Alexandria? I guess that's getting a little abstract.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Wicker's Wiki is a bit esoteric, silly and roundabout, but I enjoy it as a name.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Ninja nerf discovered: Apparently you can completely avoid damage on Ur-Draug by running around a pillar because the Cleave windup is so slow that you'll LOS him before he finishes casting it. Your fun will be short-lived, however, because he'll eventually hit you with a 10-second uncleansable root with the tooltip "You've made the Ur-Draug mad!" and probably follow it up with Slam.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Library of Alexandria? I guess that's getting a little abstract.

I vote for this, it fits well with the game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If someone is willing to put in the effort, then factional themes seem like a nice touch to make us the bestest on the internet. Skinnable websites have always struck me as that, "They really, REALLY do care about my browsing experience!" feeling.

Also, do we have an active cabal? I just started replaying this for the second first time and now that I'm more willing to see it to the end, it'd be nice to know we have a goon presence more than a chat channel.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
We have cabals for all factions but the thing is they're pretty much useless in this game. All you get out of that is a faction bank and cabal chat nobody uses. Chances are the few people who are on outside of US primetime aren't in the same cabal. Which is why all the action happens on Mumble or in awful chat.

Maybe one day they implement cross-faction cabals, fix the cabal roles (as in make them customizable) and make cabals worth a drat.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
There really is not a strong goon presence in TSW. There are maybe a dozen or so regular players and everyone else just kinda strolls in to see new content then disappears again. Maybe one day Funcom will give us something to keep people around, for now thats the state of the game.

But there is an active cabal for each faction, using the ingame awful channel or mumble is an easy way to get an invite. Asking in mumble is always the best way to go about anything to play with goons, this is where we form up for lairs, dungeons and exp runs.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cheston posted:

HughGRect posted:

FreeEvilBillMurray.com

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Could someone give me a trial key? I'd like to try this out while I'm still unemployed and have so much free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Maed posted:

Could someone give me a trial key? I'd like to try this out while I'm still unemployed and have so much free time.
LHSX3PVL9UWYYJN8LHT6

• Locked thread