Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I was kinda surprised that nobody in this thread had anything to say so far about this month's Game Director's letter, where Bylos says he's stepping back to focus on "new initiative" at Funcom.

It's heavily implied in there that TSW simply won't have an active game director. I'm thinking they'll kick Issue 11 out the door in the next few months and then expect maintenance mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly I think Funcom's problems can be traced back to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Apparently the game sold poorly but got pirated an awful lot. So Funcom said that was the last offline single player game they were going to make and that they were going to just do online MMOs after that, since those are much harder to pirate.

The end result was things like Secret World which would've made an absolutely fantastic single player game but were shoehorned into being an MMO instead.

Basically they had a serious problem but went about solving it in the most rear end-backwards way imaginable and blew through millions of dollars doing it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sekenr posted:

Frankly I don't get why so many people wear suits ingame, its not like your character works in an office

I do it because my character's Illuminati and I think it fits the faction. They're a pretty corporate bunch.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

You know what I just realized? Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back around the first issue I remember reading that quest givers will eventually die and make those quests go away forever as part of the story. Then Joel got put in charge and he believes in no missable content ever so that's not going to ever happen ):

A lot of the things that Tornquist & Co. said when the game was first released didn't pan out. (Monthly issues, questgivers dieing, city hubs changing and evolving over time, etc.)

They made plans assuming they'd have many times more people working on the game than they do now. Funcom was expecting a hit with this game and didn't get one, so it's barely keeping itself afloat.

I wouldn't blame that one on Joel. He inherited far fewer resources than his predecessor had.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Surprised nobody's said anything here, but Issue 11 is now live.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Elswyyr posted:

Is TSW actually having some kinda revival? It seems like they're actively updating it now, and that the content isn't as poo poo as Scenarios.

I think the barren period was when Funcom was restructuring and shifting development to the US. Now that they've settled I think they've been able to get the pipeline going again. (Even if it's at a trickle.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

So the barren period was between 1 month after launch until two months ago?

Edit: So is there a way to make this game not look like a blurry piece of poo poo all the time? I can't remember it looking THAT bad but goddamn...

They managed to keep their "monthly issues" promise until December 2012, a full 5 months post-launch, actually.
It was about that time that Funcom had their massive layoffs, and it wasn't until early last year that they fully moved development over to the US.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Looks like Funcom is boned: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-10-funcom-open-to-acquisition-merger-etc

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fargin Icehole posted:

This is what happens when you're still funding three financially failing MMOs at the same time.

Actually in Funcom's reports they're usually quick to say that all 3 are cash flow positive now. The problem is they keep making bad bets and never meet initial sales projections. Secret World was supposed to sell over a million in the first year but only did like 200k.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Exmond posted:

Bethesda TRIED to do a urban fantasy multiplayer thing.. I think it was called shadowlands? Didn't even make it to playable demo before it tanked.

Shadow Realms. It was a Bioware project, not Bethesda.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Morglon posted:

Yes, a single player version would be nice but all the companies you mentioned make super bland games at best and fundamentally flawed once most of the time.

Please enlighten us on who you feel makes good RPGs then, since you're discounting most of the most prestigious in the industry already.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Funcom is making a single-player horror game about a haunted amusement park: The Park teaser.

I think its weird how they seem to be deliberately avoiding mentioning that it takes place in TSW.

I guess the name of the game now is to see how much they can cannibalize their games before going bankrupt.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

orcane posted:

Wait is Joel gone? Who's going to passive-aggressively poo poo on players' opinions publicly now?

He's still at Funcom but he's no longer TSW's Game Director.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Haven't played this in awhile. Picked it back up recently just to see through Tokyo for the story content.

Today I got hung up on a mission (Brotherly Loathe) so I thought "What the hell, it's an MMO. I'll just see if there's anyone to group with."
I try chat. I try the LFG channel. I use the LFG tool. I see that there's a TSW Subreddit so I try their channel for the hell of it (both in-game and IRC)

There's nobody. Anywhere. Tumbleweeds.

This is what a dead game feels like, folks.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I get that it feeling empty is part of the atmosphere, but there's a big difference between "I don't see people running around in the zones" and "I'm not finding anyone in the LFG tool or chat rooms either"

The former is atmosphere. The latter removes the "MM" from an ""MMO"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So (tomorrow) about to hit the I11 Orochi tower missions for the first time. Is it OK solo or am I likely going to need to bring company?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

I hope it sells well honestly. This could be the push Funcom to give more stories in the game the single player experience. That is assuming this takes place in the TSW world (The secret world world, har har) and is not just reuse of assets to quickly push out a game. Either way, looks neat.

They've confirmed several times it does take place in TSW, even if it's not being obvious about it in some marketing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

OSheaman posted:

What's the best way to get people together to do the dungeon missions? It's hard to imagine getting 5 people together for the Solomon Island dungeons when I see maybe one person at a time ever outside of Agartha.

Check the Sanctuary chat channel. There's usually some helpful people there.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Archonex posted:

What's the consensus on this game? I've seen the usual doom and gloom about it going to shut down, but is that likely? Normally i'd write it off as people being idiots about MMO's as usual. But --- Well, it's Funcom. They haven't exactly had a stellar performance these past few years.

It's not likely to shut down in the near future I think. Funcom has maintained in all their earnings reports that TSW is cashflow positive. It's one of the few things at Funcom that is.

What I think is more likely is Funcom being bought out by some larger entity. What happens to TSW then is up for grabs.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Bieeardo posted:

I'm using an nvidia 960 with everything turned up to max, and while things generally run very smoothly I get occasional, severe performance drops. I think it's a draw distance issue, but one of the places it consistently strikes is the tunnel out of Kingsmouth up by the Morninglight camp. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should turn off in order to deal with this?

It could be a draw distance issue or it could be a DX11 issue. Stuff like tessellation can kill your framerate quickly.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

M_Sinistrari posted:

Okay, next questions.

1) Is Lifetime sub worth it and what's the deal with this Grandmaster thing? I do have a Lifetime sub to STO that I got around the time it went f2p because I lucked out and got it on sale since I had the money. For how long that's been, it's pretty much paid for itself at this point.

2) How is the player community? I know there will always be Genchat's just like Barrens chat but with less Chuck Norris jokes, but like with SWTOR there's some definite hostility towards newbies and especially between the Glorious Subscriber Master Race and the unwashed f2p masses or with DC Online I think chat was nothing but goldspammers last time I remember logging in.

3) With the Issues/DLC, are there any not worth picking up or should all of them get picked up eventually?

1. I got a lifetime sub at launch. I might actually get my full money's worth out of it before they pull the plug. It was a bad purchasing decision, but at the time they were promising new content monthly along with fairies and rainbows. There is no way in hell anyone getting a lifetime sub today will get their money's worth out of it.

2. Actually the community I've played with has been extremely accommodating of new people. This is a game that people who play it generally like it, so they're happy to share it with others since the overall player count is so anemic. Just need to go to the Sanctuary chat channel. The general one is useless.

3. Generally speaking all of the DLC for the game has been pretty good in quality. They've varied in their focus though. Earlier ones were mostly focused mission packs with a central theme. Like one was an Indiana Jones-style story, one was a James Bond-type spy thing, etc. The later ones have all been centered around Tokyo and continue the main narrative.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pinely posted:

Also, voice acting is good. It would be nice to get another issue or two this year, hopefully something that's not Tokyo though.

Wasn't the most recent issue marketed as the last of the Tokyo content?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

VanillaGorilla posted:

Going back through like 3-4 years later, I actually feel kinda good that I got dumb and bought that Grandmaster pack at launch.

Yeah, I will say that it is nice buying random poo poo off the item store just for the hell of it rather than agonizing over every $2 micro transaction.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Biowarfare posted:

I'm looking to play with a friend, we basically roll as two in every game. Would TSW be an ok use case for this or is it really really only solo?

I would actually argue this is one of the better ways to play it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Stunt Rock posted:

Weird. They sound so put on to me.

My wife is from Massachusetts. It's sounds put on to me from everyone who lives up there.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I wonder if them bundling the side stories into a new issue and now calling it a "complete edition" is their way of saying "we're now in maintenance mode"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
This just in: Funcom invests $1 million into R&D on wave combat scenarios.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has Funcom talked at all about any new issues in the works, or is this still pretty much in maintenance mode?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Whenever I used to see a flurry of new posts in this thread, I got hopeful that there was a new update. It was disappointing when it wasn't true.

These days whenever I see a flurry of new posts in this thread, I get scared that they've announced the game's getting shut down. It's a relief when it's not true.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Variable Haircut posted:

Didn't the Akab pet have bug that caused it to attack other players?

What you call a bug I call a feature.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Yue posted:

The only thing that worries me is the "spring 2017" launch date. Unless they're working harder than Funcom has ever worked before I don't see this stuff being fixable before the middle of May.

Isn't June still "spring" technically?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Don't think it's been mentioned here yet but if you want to reserve your TSW character name for Legends then the reservation thing is now available on the TSW account page.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So if crafting is gone now how do they handle missions that used it as a mechanic?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

DancingShade posted:

Question is: how appealing is nothing?

To be fair in the history of MMOs there are certainly good examples where "doing nothing" would've been preferable to a total revamp.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Funcom has announced that SWL will be launching on June 26.

Hopefully they can finish getting their poo poo together in another month and a half.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 9, 2017

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lawlicaust posted:

It's also unclear whether the reduction in price for new weapons is intentional or not. Character created before this phase got the reduction. All new characters didn't. In true Funcom fashion, they answer no questions on the forums outside of bugs related to abilities.

Maybe I'm giving Funcom too much credit, but this sounds like they might be A/B testing it and trying to figure out which works better.

I mean, there's still over a month until launch. Monetization isn't content and can be tinkered with right up to the last second (and beyond.) I'm not taking any of the numbers right now as gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I get the impression part of the reason they're calling this a relaunch and a separate product from TSW is so that Funcom doesn't have to split publisher royalties with EA any more.

• Locked thread