Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

GEMorris posted:

In that case why not just ask us to clean house, or dissolve/reform? I certainly don't mind cleaning out the ranks, but dissolving and reforming could also work.

What's the point though? Only thing it accomplishes is creating extra re-registering/inviting nonsense to the goons who visit this game every few years (like me). Or they'll just skip getting into any guild at all, in which case the guild has even less playing people than it would without kicking inactives.

:confused:

I'm probably gonna sub for a month or two some time later this summer or fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Welp, got next week off work and have a need to play this.

I was just wondering since the OP mentioned there has been nerfs and stuff so, has there been any drastic changes to the DPS portions of shotgun, elemental, pistol or AR since... well, the first big patch? I haven't played for a long time.

I'm thinking I'll probably start from scratch with a new character because I enjoyed the leveling content in this game a hell of a lot more than I did putting up with pugs and running those nm instances over and over. Luckily, I've forgotten 90% of the puzzle solutions so I can feel very stupid all over again.

e:
Also I noticed that the subscription bonuses seem to be rather weak in TSW. How is this game making any money now? As far as I understood, even all the content is unlocked if I don't sub? That just doesn't seem an overly viable business model to me.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 14, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Has anyone figured out some tweak to get rid of bloom in this game? That poo poo is seriously hideous at times and my eyes were hurting after some prolonged underground parts today.

I have no idea why developers even put bloom in their games, it's not like it even adds to the graphical realism unless you chew lsd and shrooms all day every day and are just used to everything glowing.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Some guy told me I'm weird because my alt is same faction as my original character. What am I supposed to do if I got altitis and the two other factions don't appeal to me :saddowns:

Also, I must say I really missed Kirsten Geary. Someone should archive all the poo poo she says for future generations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I don't really understand why AR dps would need nerfing either. Nor cleanup for that matter. :confused:

I've tried ar a few times and just ended up going back to sg/ele for ranged dps every time, except for some rare encounters like Machine Tyrant that needs the extra range. The other ranged dps trees also get some indirect dps from party skills like breaching shot, fuse and that pistol crit buff, which makes them all the more appealing.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Put very short, it can do two things, and it's the best ability in the game for both of them. By far, in the case of cleansing.

It's not nearly as far above the curve in purging as it is in cleansing, but the fact it's so stupidly far above everything else in the field of cleansing means that all the other purges get ignored, too, because CU is just so strong and easy and everyone had to get it anyway.

EDIT: Also, the only nerf they've ever served it actually served to make people use it more. Instead of tackling the fact that it's the best cleanse and the best purge in the game simultaneously, they just made the cooldown longer. Which of course didn't make people search for alternatives (that they wouldn't anyway because it's the only cleanse capable of covering the one thing people ask for cleanses for), instead it made teams ask for even more members to carry it.

In this case I'd much rather see them make the pistol cleanses nonshitty rather than start nerfing cleanups. Good start would be taking Bond, Strong Bond and lose the cast time, resource requirement and increase the radius by roughly 1000%. Of course increase the cooldown accordingly.

Losing purge from it wouldn't be a completely huge deal since for strict purging business, elemental is already much better. Although it would make purging more elemental exclusive which is kind of terrible design with as many skill trees as we have. Might be wrong there but I can't remember other reliable purges in the other trees.

When did they make the cooldown longer by the way? I can't quite remember what it was when I last played, thought it was the same 60 secs as now?

Frankenstein Dad posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that Joel has said that they've intended to rebalance most of the wheel since beta. I haven't seen him say that that's off the table. Whether it will happen any time soon is another matter. Hopefully the devs start to speed up, now that they're settled in their new digs.

Probably queued right after AO rebalance. Holding breaths is ill-adviced. :allears:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: Oh a positive note though, players seem pretty helpful. In most MMOs people just leave you to die if they see you struggling to fight things but almost everytime someone near me would throw a few heals up or help me kill the monster. :3:

Some are also gnarly old angries of an earlier mmorpg generation. Old habits die hard and for example in EQ it was considered really dickish to intervene with other peoples fights unless asked to do so. Etiquette was very different back then.

I'm one of those people. My sincere wish is that the people who help me in fights go drown themselves in the closest puddle. :reject:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

The mission bugs sure are magnificent in TSW. (about Egypt story last parts)
For some reason, the game updated my quest to enter the Black Pyramid without using the song at the entrance. The mission scripting completely shat itself and I proceeded through the pyramid to kill Akhenaten without any cutscenes or such. After he dies, a group of Orochi soldiers warp in through a magical plot loophole or something and brain the superbee player. Then the game decides to throw me outside the mine at Blue Mountain and reset the story quest a step or two backwards :downs:

Oh well, it worked correctly on the third attempt.

Reverend Dr posted:

Hardly anyone uses awful or cabal chat. Its all mumble at this point.

No it isn't. At least I don't stay in Mumble because I got no interest in listening random internet people blather while I'm playing the game, especially one with a lot of VO. But I'm up for helping with any dungeons if someone asks in #awful.

Though you're right in that if you want to run NM's with goons, staying in Mumble is pretty mandatory.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

HughGRect posted:

Have to ask, are you running in DX11? If so its very unstable and recommended to play in DX9.

I've ran with DX11 almost exclusively without any problems. I mostly keep it on for high SSAO, which looks kinda nice. Also, stuck with it because I was having problems with "out of memory" crashes at one point, and came across a post from the lead dev who recommended using DX11 because its API is much more memory efficient than DX9.

For the record, the OOM crashes were most likely caused by corrupt data since they went away after doing repair from the game launcher.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Noticed you can mail bags of ethereal gambit. Guess it's now theoretically possible to have a bullion bought ql10 purple weapon on a fresh solomon island character.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

What seems to have been hit? There's a lot of changes in those notes, but I don't think any of them are particularly huge deals. The signets were, but those were almost all upwards adjustments.

Elemental Force apparently had some double crit bug or something which finally got fixed. That has squeezed some tears from pistol users.

Only thing I noticed myself was Fatal Flourish being changed from pen rating bonus to a flat one penetration per 8 afflictions. Forgot what exactly, but that's no big deal, it did fly off my passive bar though.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

JayJay posted:

So, I have a ton of money, but I've mainly been selling my items. When (if ever) should I start disassembling them instead? Are crafting materials actually useful?

I've always disassembled mine because money is mostly worthless after buying speed upgrades and clothing. That is unless you want to save up huge amounts to buy purple signets that will increase your builders damage by 1% compared to blue, or something similar.

Materials are useful for various potions. Water makes HoT potions, metal for barrier potions, dust flat amount healing potions and fire makes leech potions which are awesome for dps setups, 10 seconds of near-invulnerability and you most likely end up with full health after. You can buy consumable kits from Venice guys.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Hell and Bach was the one I was thinking of most. That one is just... tedious. Well done, clever but repeating the puzzle 3 times makes it a chore.

Brute forcing is really bad puzzle design. I hated Hell and Bach for that too.

Another type of puzzle which I'm not overly fancy about are the ones which are very heavy on translations. I recall one in Transylvania which has tons and ton of Romanian text, and that comes out very incorrectly out of google translate. Even if you go all they way trying to translate that poo poo and painfully copy paste the numerous special characters into your translate tool, you end up with gibberish from which it's hard to pick up any clues.

Also, :ohdear:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Section Z posted:

Is Shotgun/Pistol a potential combo for basically being a Huge rear end in a top hat to PvE enemies? Both seem to deal in the same leanings of Hindered/Weakened at least. For whatever reason I want to avoid Assault Rifle, probably because I've spent plenty of time with Assault Rifles in other MMOs.

Shotgun/pistols is pretty good. You don't need to mess with hindered or weakened as far as grouping goes. Though if your tank isn't doing weakened (which they usually are), you can always switch to striker as builder and pick up punisher for some nice utility. There's also 12-gouge but it's slower than punisher.

If you also pump AP into elemental (purges, fuse) on top of those two, you'll be pretty much able to do anything a dpsser can be expected to do in nightmares.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Start in Transylvania and first impressions are that it's yet another lovely fairy forest game, start in Egypt and the pro-rainbow brigade starts crying how the game is obviously too brown. They just can't win.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Here's one key. Their email thing isn't the fastest at sending them.

DZAKSMX4CPRRDRS7X9DW

e: Another:

3AQJZLM8PTAX7S46L9Q6

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Woke up half past 3 am this morning and ended up playing TSW because I had nothing else to kill couple hours with. Ended up doing couple groups with americans and they're so much nicer to group with than the usual prime time euros who always end up being communication disabled mute shitbirds in pugs (or even worse, they open their mouths and start speaking moon). :saddowns:

Gonna have to start going to sleep at 6 pm or something.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

guppy posted:

This Scorched Desert boss is dumb as poo poo even by Funcom standards. Framerate is actually pretty good, shockingly, even though the others aren't, so the AOEs aren't that big a problem, but he has such a nasty damage-on-hit effect that three or four builders is enough to kill me.

Wouldn't be too bad if pubbie healers weren't dumb as gently caress. All they need to do is stand there and spam shelter to create spots for dps to stay alive at but nope.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tranny golems are now live, just killed the SF one.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Welp, reward for the Guardian quest achievement is T-shirt. Glowy tranny eyes in the background too.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 6, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Bursk posted:

I'm going to start playing for the first time with someone who wants to be a healer. Any suggestions as to what sort of build(s) we should go for?

Regarding the healer, if your buddy is aiming to heal the dungeons and all that, at least in my opinion it's easiest to start with fist and expand into blood. Assault rifle leeching is okay too but seems to take better gear to get full use out of it. Though assault rifle healing also contributes damage so if you don't care much about the dungeons, pick that.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Estel posted:

How many bullions are needed for a weapon?

I think it was 30, upgrade kits are 40.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Is there any reason to even bother with the Fusang golem unless you're all OCD about the pets?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Branis posted:

Anyone having memory issues? I've had the client quit on me twice in the last two days saying out of memory. Its only started happening since the latest patch.

Check your anti-virus exclusions, especially if you're using Bitdefender. Also repair the game data from launcher to make sure there's no corruption.

e: To elaborate the Bitdefender part, it's well known to cause OOM crashes. I placed the game folders and executables on exclusions and also using Bitdefender on game mode. That gets rid of crashes.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 9, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

TSW server has grown consciousness and now it is testing humans. "How many times will this primate monkey of flesh click on this thing and think this time it'll be better :smuggo:"

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Len posted:

No.

Although I did send a bug report saying "176 million hp? What the gently caress were you thinking?"

The boss apparently has ten times the health it should have.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1696359&postcount=11

I got some xmas event email but haven't logged in TSW lately. How are the event bosses and other stuff? Similar to the open world anniversary golem lagfests?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

AEGIS sounds rather annoying. Here's to hoping it's just another "augmentation" sort of thing which I can just pass with minimum effort and ignore forever afterwards.

Mission pack and four new investigations are great news however :neckbeard:
Can't wait to see how stupid they make me feel.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

HughGRect posted:

70% of the noobmares channel is veterans willing to help noobs through the dungeons. But 40% of those veterans are the same tools who like to put noobs down for standing in poo poo. and 99% ± 1% of those noobs rage quit or become bitter noob hating vets. Circle of life.

Except not at all. I've played a ton with noobmares and never, not a single time, have come across anyone berating or bitching at newbies on a run. It's a cool channel with cool people. Which is a good thing since all other avenues for finding groups except that LFG clownboat channel are dead.

Only problem with noobmares is that actual newbies seem to be too shy of starting groups and often when a group starts, it's just filled with those 10.4-5's that roll over the 24 or whatever faster than LFG channels "fast/exp/gear/blowjob" groups.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Well, there's #sanctuary. Haven't spent much time in it but it's some kind of global help/ooc/byob channel. Might find groups there too.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Did they nerf EF yet? The thought of my old builds being poo poo doesn't exactly encourage logging in or even reinstalling this.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Logged in to take a look and seems they haven't nerfed EF itself yet, but FitH is now instant, so it eats the EF. They haven't touched FitH damage though so now it's one of the worst filler skills in the game. Good job, needed more of those :allears:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cheston posted:

I think EF Pistol/Shotgun still works. Just swap out Seal the Deal (which became another worthless elite) for Fluid Defence or Cool, Calm & Collected. 6x builder, shotgun, pistol focus ability, and if you had the active up, shotgun again. Or did I miss another nerf?

Have you parsed the difference between those three? I'm still using std because :effort:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cheston posted:

I think EF Pistol/Shotgun still works. Just swap out Seal the Deal (which became another worthless elite) for Fluid Defence or Cool, Calm & Collected. 6x builder, shotgun, pistol focus ability, and if you had the active up, shotgun again. Or did I miss another nerf?

Ran 5 minute parses and STD still came above Fluid Defense. Used simple pistol/ar rounds with 6x business + 3 round burst + EF shootout with 953 pen so FD was always up.

STD came up at 1970 dps and FD 1916 dps. Not worthless. :colbert:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I was under the impression that Ele/Blood parses much higher than the standard EF Shootout builds. Not sure though, never gotten around to testing it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Leech healing question. I'm trying to make babby's first leech build and was looking at some thread on official site. It mentioned that 300ish hit is enough. Is it really? Just seems a bit on the low side, especially for hell dungeons. Is 300 hit + FP enough for HR leeching for example?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

HapiMerchant posted:

I am the biggest poo poo in this game apparently, as I appear to be the only person who cannot beat Gatekeeper with Ql10 blues and what WAS a solid DPS build up til now. My main problem is having to run around like a madman avoiding AoEs whuile killing him.

I'm told the Tank test gives you a DPS Ai buddy and the heal test spawns both a Tank buddy AND some DPS buddies (who mimic idiot dps for you to practice on)

My main beef is this: In what strange funcom world does a DPS solo fight bosses? If the Tank test is literally 'stay alive until the AI buddy kills him" and the heal test is "keep the AI alive while they kill him", why is the DPS test not "Kill him before your AI tank buddy dies", or "Stay above X DPS for X seconds"? Why this mad dance about a tiny platform dodging AoEs that take up half the platform's space while ALSO having to deal with a DPS gate that will instantly kill you if you drop below it?

Not standing in poo poo is actually a big part of nearly every boss fight on NM. If you hate having to avoid things while doing deeps then you're going to hate every NM dungeon and be bitter and angry and hate everything and probably kill yourself. v:shobon:v

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

guppy posted:

Here's an AR/Pistol build I got from Zepho way back when. It was the bees' knees at the time but I have no idea if it's any good anymore.

Active
Hip Fire
Fire in the Hole
Shootout
Lock & Load
Suppressing Fire
Deadly Aim
Do or Die

Passive
Closer
Lethality
Twist the Knife
Brawler
Iron Maiden
Elemental Force
Seal the Deal

Offhand, looking at it, the following jump out at me:

1. Can't remember why Hip Fire instead of Safety Off; I think Safety Off relied on some other passives. Don't remember why no Three Round Burst.

2. Deadly Aim and Do or Die could be swapped out if you want. I usually run Slow the Advance as my elite when soloing as it's both a nice nuke to start a fight and a Hinder so things can't reach you while you murder them.

3. Iron Maiden relies on Afflict because this was a dungeoning build. I think Overpenetration might not have that issue?

4. I think Ele Force was nerfed (or, well, fixed). It may be undesirable now and I don't know whether Seal the Deal is still ideal given the changes.

5. Toss Closer and Brawler, replace them with Straight Shooter and Sudden Return (assuming there's a decent amount of penetration).

6. Then replace Hip Fire with The Business and FitH with 3RB and it's golden.

That's more or less what I use for ranged build and it works great. Lock and Load can be replaced with whatever you need at the time.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Moreau posted:

Is there a solid guide to DPS gearing for noobs? I'm running around with QL10 greens, but its all random as I have no idea what I should be gearing. I find that most of the story content is fine, but I cant tackle some of the purchasable mission content, like Last Train.

Are you asking purely from soloing perspective? Because that's not only about the DPS you put out. Personally I find that heal-over-time passives combined with Empowerment (triggers a bigger heal on HoT criticals) elite passive work very well for that. And you can use them with pretty much any weapons.

Regarding HoTs you have:
Immortal Spirit (HoT on penetrate)
Circulation (HoT when applying afflicted, combine with a passive that afflicts on every hit like Bloodsport)
Advantage Me (HoT on critical)

Couple pieces of heal rating gear is enough with rest as attack rating. Maybe toss one health talisman on if that's an issue.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Killing something a few seconds slower is a small price to pay for being unkillable. And you can skip eating and waiting for tacos when you end every fight with full health.

Although, I will say that I didn't bother with HoTs either until recently when I got to Tokyo where I simply couldn't outlast some named monsters. So piling up DPS is one option. I still prefer having healing passives since it cuts out all downtime, so that's what I'll recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Moreau posted:

Essentially, I don't want to progress to Elites until I feel more solid about my gear.

I wouldn't worry about that too much, greens are fine for elites as that's where you're supposed to get the bulk of your blues. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if most elite groups these days have at least one or two nightmare geared guys to help.

You'll eventually want to start building hit towards 650ish, but if you're having trouble on the way then there's some passives that can help.

Accuracy (AR, +5% damage and 50 hit rating)
Call Your Shots (AR, adds up to a whopping 175 hit as long as you don't glance)
Fever Pitch (Chaos, chance to reduce glances by a lot for a few secs)

I may be remembering wrong but I think the Egypt ca d'oro DPS head signet was the one that also adds stacks of hit rating. Something to consider if you got extra ca d'oro moneys.

• Locked thread