Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Pilchenstein posted:

I think "we want opinions from a wide range of players, not just existing fans" is the official reason but yeah, they were probably expecting most grandmasters to give feedback along the lines of "we fear change". Certainly seems that way from the official forums anyway. :v:

This, and those same players would undoubtedly poo poo up every forum they could find explaining to anyone who would listen how bad the new game is. Considering how important hyping up a relaunch is this could be pretty bad.

Its definitely a bummer for the grandmasters who arent desperate hangers on terrified of change, but its a sound decision for the overall health of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Now this feels like a Funcom game! Which is a bit of a shame too since it really did seem like they were starting to turn things around. I think the most disappointing things isnt the lovely business model, but that the combat improvements seem so half assed. I was really hoping the game was going to get ESO style combat.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

Most of the revamp seems designed to make the game as much of a cash grab as possible which is disappointing because the quality of life changes are great and the new combat is really fun.

This is probably good enough for me and a lot of other people. I am not particularly interested in TSW's end game, I would however like to play the game's story through without being bored to death by the tedious combat system. Im totally ok with throwing a few bucks Funcom's way if they can manage that much.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

randombattle posted:

I think they're trying to avoid every thing said being picked apart.

It could very well be this. It seems like the games original fan base is pretty wound up about the rerelease and just looking for an opportunity to revolt. A miscommunication about a design decision thats not yet set in stone could lead to some pretty bad PR which Funcom really doesnt want considering how so far theyve actually built some decent hype up about the game.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Morglon posted:

Yeah this. I was pretty pumped for the relaunch but this system is worse than loving old republic was when they went free. It takes real effort to out-lovely EA although I'm not all that surprised.

Didnt the SWTOR relaunch make players pay for additional action bars? Surely this isnt that bad.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

You will have all weapons unlocked and a few other benefits I think. It seems pretty helpful if you just want to see the story content.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Amante posted:

But yeah, going by SWL's current state and the planned June launch, the game is already dead in the water. Relaunches get enough apathy and skepticism as it is, so you really have to nail the landing. Nickel and diming F2P players to the extent of literally charging them time-gated currency to RESURRECT is not going to be well received by anyone outside of the aforementioned 83 whales that still play the original game.

Im kind of skeptical about this. TSW generally has a good reputation for its world building and story telling. Its combat system of course is generally loathed though so if Funcom actually manages to fix combat there will probably be a fair bit of interest in the game. Now, how long that interest will last is definitely going to be interesting to see but I think launch day will have quite a few new players at least trying to log in.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

My feeling is that they wanted to demphasize loot grind and instead focus on story, world building, yadda yadda yadda. Which seemingly worked up until a point, that point being when the shut in weirdos who play 60+ hours a week reached max level and started throwing fits about the lack of end game content. So of course they tacked on a fairly generic gear grind end game but without all the things that actually make that model workable.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

??? TSW thread has always been for making fun of how bad Funcom has hosed up this game. The only people ever defending TSW were the ones that Drinkfist was making fun of literally 3 posts ago.

But now Funcom is trying to fix the game and people are bitching about that too. It seems like this thread is just for bitching for the sake of bitching really. Which of course is fine that is a key part of the MMORPG experience but as someone whose not really part of the games community it does seem a little absurd at times. Being upset that Funcom is trying to fix its product to appeal to more people so it can continue to operate it is a tad much.

Oh, and its being called a relaunched because they are transitioning to new servers including a reset of the game world. Calling everyone starting over from the beginning a relaunch seems appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I suppose "make profitable" would have been a better choice of words.

• Locked thread