Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Again, it's not happening. They are only going to slightly upgrade the engine. We are not getting Conan: Exiles' engine in TSW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They're revamping combat to be more action-oriented, reducing the number of players that can be in the same zone.

It's the same engine, it is not being ported to Unreal. The same old, broken, buggy engine whose original developers have left.

That's really all you need to know.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hypocrisy posted:

I just hope they let us carry over some titles so I don't have to do the floor is lava challenge again.

Nope. Only titles and cosmetics bought with cash money are getting transferred.

It has not been clarified if this includes whatever was in the bags you bought for up to 960 FC points apiece.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pilchenstein posted:

Where are you getting this info from? I can't find anything but vague buzzword patter about it.

Odonoptera, the community manager guy posted:

Hey all, there's been a lot of talk about this topic, and we know it's an important one for many people. Our goal is to copy all vanity items that were purchased with money; including item store purchases, membership rewards, items of the month, and such. This should also include titles, mounts, and pets. An item being character-specific or account-wide doesn't impact if it will be eligible to be copied over. As we approach the launch (not beta launch, the launch launch) we'll go into details on what exactly will copy over between games if you choose to move over to Secret World Legends.

Hope this helps!

As for the engine... it's on Twitter but it's not loading at the moment.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DancingShade posted:

Hopefully we get combat & graphics more similar to the Conan survival game. I mean I can dream right?

Conan ran on UE4. This is keeping the same old Dreamworks engine.

They are supposedly basing the new combat off of the reticule mode you get if you press T.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kegslayer posted:

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it reads like the old game is dead and the new version is the only one that will get updated moving forwards?

So if I want to experience new content I'll have to run through the game and grind out all the gear I need again to see new stories?

That is correct.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's all going to be the same mobs, missions, etc.

The main differences are going to be in itemization, character progression, and (supposedly) the way combat is conducted.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem is that it's not certain what vanity stuff is being transferred.

All we know right now is that it's "all cash shop items".

We do not know if that includes the items that were in RNG bags purchased from the cash shop.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kessel posted:

Isn't the reticle mode from the main game really, really clunky?

Amazingly so, yes, but it was supposedly what Conan: Exiles combat was based off of so they seem to think they can make something of it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly AEGIS was simple with an autoswapper and, unfortunately, foreknowledge.

In other words, it was bad.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This thread is instructive:

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?98648-Hire-Beyond-the-Veil

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Only a tiny number of select people (read: people the community manager likes probably) were let in.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pilchenstein posted:

What the gently caress are the "halos" that got mentioned in both of those threads? :confused:

As long as I get to keep the shirt with my name on it, I'm a happy camper.

You could obtain a literal glowing angel halo ingame from the devs/community manager for A) being helpful in the community while B) not making the devs mad by criticizing them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Or just use UltimateCrafter.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If any of you have a football jersey, faction colored... find me ingame as Yawk. I will shower you in riches if I must.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 3, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Holy Lord on high they managed to make character customization....

....worse?!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't understand why this is so difficult.

RGB sliders for all color related things!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If any of you old timers have ski boots back from Christmas, hit me up as Yawk ingame. I will upgrade your wardrobe in exchange for the Legends transfer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can cancel it and pick another.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Spend your monthly bonus points on bulk bags for more cosmetics!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't think you can hack TSW as well, so no.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

quote:

There's another currency (marks of something) that is used for purchasing other poo poo and it seems to come only from daily challenges. That 2nd currency is also what you can exchange for real life currency via Aurum (think gems in GW2, Zen in Neverwinter, etc.).

Yup they hosed up the economy again.

I've been hearing complaints the game was "pay to progress in a reasonable timeframe" and welp that is what it sounds like.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 2, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Shy posted:

Are the beta keys transferable? I received one a few days ago but have no plans to sign up

They are.

One of the initial problems was that apparently most of the first wave beta keys went to keysellers.

Fun huh?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 2, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I say that you try NeuterBillMurray.

There you go!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Did it actually work?

Supposedly when SWL first appeared they were being sold for 50.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...what.

No random loot completely defeats the point of killing open world monsters. That is insane.

Then there's the death penalty. That is awful beyond words and will utterly decimate anyone's desire to play pick up groups without hyper optimized gear.

Then there's the economy.

TSW's economy was already trash, with nothing being worth anything except a small subset of signets and rare cosmetics. It's going to happen again, but now you can't grind up Pax.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 4, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hahahaha loving Christ.

I was considered wealthy in TSW and this is a travesty to me.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 6, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I don't know. But pretty negative over the whole mof system because it's trash.

Honestly if it wasn't me they probably would have left me alone. NeutralMurray went in with a mod bias

That is just disgusting, I'm sorry.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

Oh no it was terribly boring loot. The game was all about shooting the poo poo with the mumble crew and playing pretty princess.

That's why the four flavors of cat ear were random drops!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jeez, I have disastrous luck.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I honestly just want to get into beta so my girlfriend can see char creation.

She has two names on her account, but isn't sure what to reserve until she sees faces.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I just do not know who they think they will lure in with that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

I can dig it. Lairs are a cool idea with poor execution right now maybe making them better has been on the to-do list for awhile

Regionals were already only the domain of a handful of people. Making them harder to do will just force wealth concentration up higher.

• Locked thread