Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I went and picked up 8/9 of the lore for the Guardians. Apart from the Fusang one, because yeah right like I'm ever getting into Fusang.

It's mostly a Secret World style retelling of the story of the Golem of Prague, with a nod to the Golem of Chelm. The Golem of Prague is a Golem who was summoned by the Rabbi of the Old-New Synagogue of Prague to defend the Jewish population against attack. The synagogue is one of the oldest synagogues in Europe, but when it was built (1200s) there was an even older one in Prague, hence the name.

I don't suppose we have any goons who can give us some more detail on the individual golem names?

Cleretic posted:

So yeah. Literally any zone would've been a fresher start than Kingsmouth.
I enjoyed how things seemed fairly predictable in Kingsmouth, but as you progress further into Solomon Island the poo poo really starts hitting the fan and then there's the giant draug nest things on the beach and portals to Hell and things just keep escalating. Plus I got a hint from the depth of the setting (from my first look through the Kingsmouth phone book) that it wouldn't just be your basic zombie story. I did get pretty sick of actually fighting the zombies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Key: 2YBD2XGMNDCN2DN2K25S
Key: J2UUVQVKNQ5DEEX7ELY7

These two of mine should still be good.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Protagorean posted:

These things are dying so fast, I've already tried killing three only to arrive/load in just as they kill him. People in anniversary are calling for them to have more health. This is the dumbest loving thing. Wake me up when Tokyo releases.
Are you following #anniversity ? The spotters in there usually find the Gatekeeper before he even summons a Golem, so you'd have plenty of time to friend the spotter, meet up on them and then zone in. Make sure you're zoning into the right instance - if they're full you'll get dumped into another instance at the Agartha portal. I'm sure it'll slow down tomorrow on the Solomon Island ones once Transylvania is up.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

midoriyourself posted:

Greetings from my convention. Has anybody managed Fusang yet? I'm hoping there will still be guardians left for me to nab the achievement when I get home from the weekend. I didn't manage any in Egypt before I had to head out. :(
Friendly reminder: claim your Opera Magna!

Man I hope issue 7 doesn't get delayed any more. My sub runs out on the 14th or so.

Edit: someone mentioned trying to get into Fusang on a Dragon character might be easier. Might try that today.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 5, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Nassir's Twitter account posted:

@BoomBoom_Man: haha thanks friends for keeping my desert free of big giant walking rocks!!! when i come to blow it up, it is already dead... hahaha!!!

@BoomBoom_Man: @HarlemShay haha is okay!! i blow up the dead rock anyway, and make little rocks!!! we should have party to celebrate!!!!!

Suddenly it's all worth it :3:

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 5, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

GEMorris posted:

Or Phuncompetence
PhünKompetence

I did Hell Raised with some pubbies yesterday and got up to Machine Tyrant fairly quickly, but the Tank and Healer were having some kind of issue which they attributed to Funcompetence (their words) so we gave up.

The Tank was German and was pasting in his combat logs, and that's how I learned yesterday that Anima Well in German is Anima-Strudel.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

So is it Virgula Divina or Divinia? I always thought the former, but the voice acting in issue 7 fairly distinctly says Divinia at one point.

I liked the bit in issue 7 where I kept setting off the turrets and killing Raiser (sorry).

I've found out where the lore I missed is, and I have ideas of words to spell. Stupid 3 day cooldown, wanna play it again :(

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

HughGRect posted:

No to the secret word.
The secret word is Enema.

Ok not really... I have a theory as to what it is, but I'm on cooldown and we'll know for sure by then.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cstar posted:

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll grab a copy and continue on with my adventures, the lack of subscription makes it a fairly good investment either way it turns out to be, I suppose.
Yeah if you're after more complex combat and stuff you'll probably like running Elites and Nightmares. You might also like tanking - there are a lot of mechanics you need to know and counteract to stop everyone from dying. But till you learn them there will be a lot of dying.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Meow Tse-tung posted:

About how long does it take to run through the solo storyline? I played the tutorial and was pretty impressed with the atmosphere/story, but really don't want to be hooked into another really grindy mmo right now. I just kind of want the once-through experience. Is that doable without having to grind lots of mobs/fetch quests?
Yeah if you don't want to get involved in the MMO-ish parts, it's perfectly enjoyable as a single player RPG through the Story Missions. You only really need to grind at the end-game level, for Nightmare Dungeons.

Whatever fix they did for Fusang is working really well for me, because I'm getting in really quickly. As in, I'll sign up and be able to get in immediately as either DPS or Tank. Illuminati on Cerberus.

Because of this, I've managed to kill 3 Fusang Guardians today. I have a spare bag! I also, uh, kinda like Fusang.

So I got 13,000 PvP XP today and got the nice Tank uniform for my character to wear outside of Fusang. And then I tried to reproduce the bug that would put me in normal clothes in Fusang, only I was still wearing the PvP uniform so I just looked the same. Except for one clothing item. I am a pretty princess PvP tank.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

A few observations after playing Fusang all day:

* The Guardian seems to be on a 2 and a half hour timer. Maybe 3. The mission itself is on a 1 hour cooldown.
* From the sounds of things, they've nerfed Anima Leech really hard, because he's no more difficult to kill than any of the other Guardians. Except for the infinite ways to grief this one. Like the people casting manifestations on the tank and applying exposed, or the guy who was camping the lore location shouting "I am the Guardian of the Lore!"
* I've been able to enter and leave Fusang as I please. I've left Fusang to cash out enough Venice marks to buy a custom weapon if I want, and I still get back in with zero wait time. I suspect the queue for one Fusang server is broken while the other is working.
* The Fusang bags have a 100% drop rate for the pet.
* Some people are still missing out on mission turn ins for this one, which means you have to petition.

I now have three spare Fusang bags, and will probably concentrate on getting more of these. Will trade for things that are interesting or useful.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

HughGRect posted:

Just checked the testlive updated files, they added a second instance of the bag to the game. The original is still there, so its very possible if you had one before the patch it will be grandfathered as a non unique item.
You know, this feeling of anticipation I had as I was logging in was quite remarkable. Either I become wealthier than I ever dreamed, or I wasted an entire day in Fusang.

And well poo poo... I still have four separate bags in my inventory. Guess I might be getting a purple signet of breaching after all.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

You know, I just checked, and it turns out I'm in Daemon. Huh. Well that explains a lot!

Just to check how the whole PvP thing is working, I queued for El Dorado and Stonehenge today. Stonehenge queue looks pretty broken, but I managed to get into El Dorado quickly enough.

Given the ease with which I'm getting into Fusang, I should be able to grab some more of these bags for goons over the next few days. I'll trade for nice blue signets - I'm especially after Breaching, Laceration and some of the more offensive ones. I'm willing to make deals for other things as well (other bags, blue signet bags, previous event items), and for new goons. I'm Zepho in-game, or otherwise find me on Mumble.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 12, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Archonex posted:

The lore in this game is really nifty like that. A lot of the unlocks can take on a different meaning when viewed in a different light/more information.
That's definitely something I noticed. The lore locations roughly correspond to the content, and the difficulty of finding them seems to corresponds to a order of reading. Noticed it most recently when I got the final Guardian lore in Fusang, but also I think in Facility.

I read somewhere that another way you could see it is the three factions being against the three big organisations we encounter. The Illuminati have the Orochi, the Templars have the Phoenicians (an upstart militant secret society) and the Dragon have the Morninglight (yeah alright this one's a bit of a stretch). It's just that the Orochi seem to get the most content of the three.

Though hold on, issue 7 spoilers: Lilith says to Emma "You can't choose her. Samael chose her!" Or something along the lines of that. Samuel Chandra is Orochi CEO. Maybe he's not completely terrible?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Issue 7 adds a fair bit in terms of the overarching plot. Go and play it already!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Is there any consensus on what the Orochi computer mission voice's accent is meant to be? It sounds like a weird mishmash of a whole bunch of accents to me, so I can never really place it.

Worsted Weight posted:

Also sorry for this post being 90% spoiler bars but (issue 7 spoilers)there's supposed to be a vampire in the Hatchet Falls facility, right? I've been through in under 5 minutes and he hasn't appeared, so clearly I'm missing a trigger, but I'm not sure what.
To get that achievement, you can't trip any of the alarms within the Hatchet Falls facility, as well as going in under 5 minutes. I tried it with Hugh and Cheston the other day, only for Hugh to blunder face first into a laser 10 seconds after we entered.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

biteyourtongue posted:

I think possibly maybe it's South African? If it's the same one from the van in the Blue Mountain Orochi outpost, I don't think I've heard him anywhere else yet.
Yeah if I had to guess I'd say South African, but it's my default guess for accents that sound like a weird mix of other accents. It's possible he's trying to do another accent badly, but the quality of voice acting in this game is too good for that.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

It's a Hell accent, duh.
So, South African then. :v:

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

The hourly back-pats were a little excessive, but yeah, I'll take it in exchange for being able to do the event with a tenth the personal effort.
I'd laugh if it turns out they got the list of recipients from Wrong-Way's sign-off post.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

The Morninglight are basically the modern day equivalent of the Aten cultists. Even if they're not overtly like the exploding cultists you fight in Egypt, they're either hiding it better or not quite all the way there yet.

Archonex posted:

The problem is that the Morninglight never actually are shown supporting the Filth.
The quest Revenge Served Hot in the Besieged Farmlands reveals the French tourists were transporting an important Filth artefact for the Morninglight. The cave at the end of that quest also contains a piece of the Filth lore, so it's pretty significant.

The fact that 3 different periods of human history (18th Dynasty Egypt, Roman Empire, Modern - at least 1000 years between each one) have all given rise to human sacrificing Filth spreading sun cults would indicate they're controlled by something bigger i.e the Dreamers

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 15, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

I meant that wall of text he linked into #anniversity every time he had to sleep.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

In other new developments today, the Pyramidion has joined twitter https://twitter.com/EyeAmDisappoint

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I had to go through like five different Sumerian mythological figures before settling on one for an alt I made.
Lilith has a lot of names, but not enough for everyone.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

orcane posted:

Faction, gender and first/last name are fixed.
Oh nuts, the only thing I'd change are my first and last names. I wanted a rename to do that. At the time I made the character I just wanted to hurry up and play, and that's sort of reflected in what I picked.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Hugh, might want to update the OP/FAQ with stuff on Issue 7 and something about how the sub model is nothing like SWTOR.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

WarLocke posted:

VVV: Yeah I figured it out eventually with hints from Zepho (IIRC, mumble overlay doesn't work and I'm still learning voices).
I do have one of the more distinctive voices in Mumble. I don't remember mentioning it but I'll take the credit anyway~

Fathis Munk posted:

On the same note : Is there a way to see how strong the mobs are compared to yourself ?
If you're doing a quest, the difficulty it says it is usually a good indication of how hard the mobs will be in relation to your present gear. Nightmare mob quests stay on Hard difficulty permanently, but everything else changes in relation to amount of Skill Points in some way we don't really understand yet.

Also speaking of Skill Points and AP, there's a limit of 40 SP and 175 AP, so if you've done a bunch of quests all at once you should remember to spend them.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 19, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

The worst thing is when you've killed a quest mob, submitted the mission, and you get killed because it respawned while you were reading KG's mission debrief.

greth posted:

What gives/what am I missing?
Come into Mumble and we can run you through the Darkness War dungeon a few times for gear.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Not directly related to The Secret World, but if you like the Kingsmouth setting, you'd probably enjoy the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. It's like if pre-zombiepocalypse Kingsmouth had a community radio station narrated by a distant relative of Cheston.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

Radio Free Cheston: "Also has Raiser, and music that isn't godawful."
I'd totally be your weathergirl.

Seoul: expect rain. Transylvania: more snow. Egypt: sunny with occasional locusts.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Len posted:

I forgot how much fun Ankh was we need to run that more often.
Go to bed you're drunk. (yes it was fun)

Something I've been wondering about lately, from lore 6 of the Council of Venice lore:

quote:

Each secret society has a number of delegates proportionate to size and importance. The Illuminati, the Templars, the Dragon, and the Phoenicians have three each. The others have one or two. The Council itself has its own neutral delegates.
Who are "the others"?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Protagorean posted:

I honestly can't remember a single quote mentioning them in-game
By "them", do you mean the Phoenicians? Because Kirsten Geary has a whole dialogue tree about them.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cheston posted:

I can't think of any other smaller societies being mentioned.
They'd have to be half or two thirds as powerful as the main three (given seats are allocated proportionally), which rules out basically all of the groups we've met (which is a shame, Petru the Blajini would make an excellent council rep). I'd think Orochi would qualify because they're on phone and email terms with KG. Maybe the US govt department at the camp in Blue Mountain?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Protagorean posted:

don't even have a horse in this race, and have actually derailed this thread now.

We go blow poo poo out of thread!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Pinely posted:

No one is certain who Cassandra King is. There is (was) a 14 page thread filled with various theories over at the TSW forums.

Re: Cassandra, I hadn't noticed her surname is King. There's a bit of graffiti in Hell Raised, in the chamber where you fight Recursia, which reads "KING RETURNS" (specifically "King" and not "The King", because otherwise that would be Elvis...), and I was wondering what the gently caress that meant. Probably coincidental and unrelated, but who knows?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Len posted:

Why do pubbies stand by only London needs a bank/AH? I don't understand. Even the role players think it makes perfect sense for Illuminati and Dragon to do all their banking on the Templar doorstep.
The thing which will never make sense to me is that this is a game where there's a chupacabra running a taco stall, and he's in London rather than New York.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Issue 6 is easier, so you'll be able to do it sooner, if that's a concern. Mind you, issue 5 is even easier.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Pinely posted:

Issue 7, IIRC, has more dailies (5 vs. 3).
They're having a bit of trouble with the quest items in one of the issue 7 side quests - I've had a few times over the past few days where I haven't gotten the shovel I need to go and dig up coffins, so I've had to petition for it. Which is a shame, because the ghosts that spawn when you dig drop a remarkable number of (unfortunately character bound) QL10 blues.

Pinely posted:

For Issue 6, there are three headslots (one for each role) and three signets for those headslots, all purple QL10. Additionally, the Issue 6 vendor has Indiana Jones style clothing you can purchase. For Issue 7, there's three purple neck peices/signets and a full set of the Orochi gear (the kind Ghost wears in Carpathian Fangs).
Even better, you get one free head/neck piece (depending on which issue it is) upon your first completion. And they start at 10.1, so you get a free upgrade. The issue 7 signets are really good, issue 6 far less so, though I wanna try out the healing one at some point.
Edit:

Pilchenstein posted:

I think it's only 4 dailies for issue 7 - either that or they've put one on a different npc and I don't know about it.
There are a bunch of other side quests scattered around in both issues, but off the top of my head I don't remember what their cooldowns are.

Out of the three at the Egypt vendor, only two are worth the effort. Five Ways to Kill a Man takes more effort than the other two put together, and is only worthwhile if you do it alongside some of the main quests. The Shadowy Forest vendor has four side quests, of which one can be bugged, as I mentioned earlier. The crate finding one is super easy and you shouldn't have to fight anything (though I do wonder how your character carries them all). The vampire killing one might be a bit difficult if you have lower level gear.

Zephonith fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 27, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

That's weird, my main problem was I'd hand in the 'get Orochi weapon' mission at the same time, and get a new shovel at the same time.
I had that problem for a while too! But then it switched to the reverse, which is a lot more annoying.

Len posted:

pubbies
I had a pubbie healer today tell me my 750 block/9000HP tank gear was "squishy" :(

Still managed to tank Hell Eternal on NM in its entirety for the first time though, with zero wipes for the last two bosses :woop:

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Except the game throws both signets and pax at you like loving candy by the time you're QL10 anyway, so tossing green signets in gear you'll be using for an appreciable amount of time is pretty okay. I'd even be cool with throwing blues in transient gear if you're likely to be doing the three end-of-DLC missions often.
With the caveat: check the Auction House first! It would be a shame to miss out on 12 million pax because you put a blue violence into a green Q10. I did this with a green violence before I knew better, and it's still sitting in my bank hoping for a signet extractor to drop from Nightmares. Which has happened a grand total of once that I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Ok, we can help with dungeons that aren't Hell Raised then.

• Locked thread