Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
After quitting a few months post launch, I'm planning on playing around a bit with a friend to enjoy the story and heavy co op gameplay here. A few quick newbie questions:

I remember decks and roles being super fluid and we probably won't be doing any group content for a while, but is there a general composition that would lend itself well to duo leveling that we could easily mold into endgame decks? I was thinking of one player leaning tank with some cc and the other player going for leech healing with support skills, but of course focus both of us mostly on dps.

I know most everything was really well configured for multi-player exploration, but how many solo instances are we going to encounter when leveling? She's not the best at mmos in general and gets scared doing stuff alone, so it'll help to have the assurance of there only being a few things that are solo required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

E: Got it

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 21, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I set up a beta account last night and played through the tutorial up to Kingsmouth. I think the new tutorial is nicely integrated with the awakening sequence and does a good job of introducing combat mechanics, skill points, weapon upgrading, etc. It still feels a bit spliced in with old unneeded content (like going to the weapon master of your faction despite already doing the combat tutorial and you no longer get to try all 9 weapons).

Combat wasn't as bad as I thought, though my immediate concern is that targeting is not sticky and it gets tough to stick with a single enemy. I worry about how healing will work (how do you pick a friendly target) and I think tanking will be tougher since it's easy to mis-target an expensive ability when there are adds running past you.

It's annoying having a fixed camera since I'm used to panning all around independently of my movement to survey the area and watch how my party is doing in dungeons.

From the recent live stream, I'm interested in the 3 man spec-agnostic dungeons but reports are that they are hilariously easy and not much of a challenge. I get that they are designed to be story experiences, but I imagine it'll be a leap for a lot of players to suddenly get faceslammed by elite dungeons when they're used to strolling through.

Oh, and Agatha is weird. I can't decide if I like it or not. Now you have little objects that shoot you through the air onto disconnected platforms with portals instead of the connected teleporting thing we have now. The centralized city is cool so we don't have to go to London for normal player needs. I imagine the cities will feel more factionalized because of it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Are there pretty significant differences with Legends?

Moderate differences. The skill system is the biggest revamp with the removal of the wheel, which is replaced by skill trees. Items now leveled up by feeding them other items and crafting is completely gone. Pax Romana is now used to upgrade items and is pretty rare. There's another currency (marks of something) that is used for purchasing other poo poo and it seems to come only from daily challenges. That 2nd currency is also what you can exchange for real life currency via Aurum (think gems in GW2, Zen in Neverwinter, etc.). Each weapon now has a gimmick mechanic that sometimes sucks. Agartha is now a capital city with bank/AH/vendors/open RP space.

A new build came out a few days ago that introduced the Warlock class and this really bad particle effect that appears over paths on the ground (e.g. follow the blood trail) that makes it super obvious and is really jarring. There's also a new skillbar UI that's very brightly colored.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

One of the most visible changes to me is the flow of the game. You used to zone into Kingsmouth and be able to do pretty much any mission except the few that are chains. Now dawning of an endless night holds your hand and guides you through the zone. You have one side mission available initially and the main mission sends you to the sheriff's office. A few quests there (not all of them) and you're sent to visit Norma, and so on. So it's really pushing you to follow a much more linear flow, which I guess helps people not stampede through the main mission and get crushed in blue mountain. There are also auto bestowing quests that come up in a few areas like "hey kill 8 of these wisps quickly" but they're not marked in any way so it's a surprise when they come up.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

macnbc posted:

So if crafting is gone now how do they handle missions that used it as a mechanic?

Hmm, I'm not sure, I haven't run into one yet. There is a new 'upgrade' interface that you use to combine items to empower other items, but it won't function the same way. Maybe those have been removed entirely or will assemble themselves when you have the right parts. Not sure how it'll impact lair summoning items either.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Well they are trying to improve differentiation and remove ineffective abilities with the weapon types, so swapping frequently should be more for taste than necessity. I'm not saying it's the best system, but casual players would have to play a lot and save up decent ap and sp in the current system to be effective, so this isn't a huge departure. It would be nice if they at least left in some kind of weapon demo like the selection process at faction hq to let you test out playstyles before committing and maybe allow a custom class. Still, I'm sure existing players will get to be all FYGM since we don't have to worry about page unlocks.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Hmm still no word on open beta, if there is one... *cue jokes about release being a yearlong open beta*.

I started playing with my girlfriend a few months ago and we're just entering Blue Mountain but I put that on pause knowing the game was about to die and we'd have to replay it all anyways. I'd love to see a no-wipe open beta come along earlier so we can start playing, but of course I'd wait months if it meant that feedback would be listened to.

It is nice that they're leaving out Tokyo later content at the initial launch so there is less stuff to focus on fixing early on - maybe it would have been cool to launch one region every few months for a kind of staggered progression system, but I guess there isn't really a point to that. I'm a fan of time gating and I don't know why.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Nothing too cool from the latest patch and live stream. We definitely have the mobile gaming system of 2x maxed greens = 1 blue, 2x blue = 1 purple, etc. There will be more rarities added so the grind can continue. Maybe that replaces aegis weapons... Buffs and debuffs are just going to be hard to read since the dev solution is to hit alt and mouse over them. Weapon molds (cosmetics) are coming back but as part of some bigger system so we don't know what form they will take. Probably from the cash shop.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Len posted:

That's going to be awesome when you're in a dungeon and get a debuff that kills you in seconds in you don't react immediately

Yeah, they clearly don't see it as a problem. Someone asked on the stream and the answer was just "duh, just hit alt and mouse over, it's fine!" They did say that buffs will be simplified a bit to remove some things like skill buffs you get from doing a thing where you just assume you have the buff running all the time and things of that sort.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Len posted:

These are the devs that couldn't reliably kill haughbui mother before she exploded so we shouldn't be surprised

And to be fair I'm pretty sure that they're all "community managers" which means they're paid shitposters who probably have no influence on the development at all. The girl is, I think, just a gm they pulled in to have a girl in the room for the twitch viewers.

I'd love for then to have an actual dev lead show up and give some info at one point, but they're probably busy driving the game as deep into the earth's mantle as possible.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Steam version is delayed about a month. Stand alone is still end of June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

flatluigi posted:

They're still keeping the old version up, right?

It'll be in maintenance mode but as people start leaving, it'll get to be almost impossible to do any group content and there's only so much that soloing can be entertaining.

• Locked thread