Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
To anyone new, I regret to inform you that the Horse Head was only available for one month, as a subscriber item. You may have to content yourself with a Unicorn Head.

**Woah, the OP takes care of everything!

xanthan posted:

Cross posting the blade chaos build from the last thread I guess.

To every new player who will ask if they should use a specific build: You can level with anything, and on Solomon Island, you should level with anything, because your skill/ability point gain skyrockets once you reach Egypt. Mess around with stuff. Good combinations include Assault Rifles and anything.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Can I have your horse babies.

You can if you both subscribed in May!

Testlive info about 1.7: There's going to be a semi- (or very well-) hidden side mission in the 1.7 chain. Don't know yet if it's an equivalent to how you could get the Whip during Last Train to Cairo, but it seems like it.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 4, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

rizzen posted:

So I haven't played this since the beta, is it worth picking up now? I remember the combat being pretty lackluster, but the lore and story stuff being top notch? The OP does a nice job of getting me interested again, but I thought I'd ask this anyways.

From what I understand, combat improved quite a bit towards the (very) end of beta, but it is still definitely the game's weakest link. The boss fights do make the most of it though- a lot of them are very active, emphasizing movement, dodging, and such. Anything good you heard about lore and story is probably true.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

hot, sweaty derails.

Just, all of you, stop now. The horse is dead.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I miss the good stuff. #FreeEvilBillMurray

**Actually, I don't miss the good stuff either, but, uh

Cheston fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 4, 2013

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Rascyc posted:

You're probably better off mentioning the search tool, and how if you want to use an ability like Blade Torrent you should identify the properties of Blade Torrent and search on that to find abilities that go well with it. Blade Torrent -> Frenzy -> Leeching Frenzy. Do that type of practice if you want to assemble builds on your own. Otherwise hit the Google machine and jut type your favorite two weapons and solo build and look for forum posts in 2013 and use common sense.

That is actually what the OP does right now.

Beach Party posted:

Is there a web site that has a synopsis of the story lines in each of the zones? I just re-installed the game and i kind of forgot what happened in the other zones before hitting Transylvania. It would be nice to catch up on what happened while at work today.

Sorry, but as far as I know all of the wikis for this game are kinda lackluster. A general summary of Solomon Island:

You go to Solomon Island to find out about the fog and discover that it followed a fishing boat in. You find a survivor, mostly mutated, saying that the boat got trapped in the fog out at sea, and that it was full of old boats and red seaweed. He found an artifact that cut away at the fog and freed them- when they got back, they sent it to the local academy (which is basically Illuminati Hogwarts). You find the artifact (a really kickass sword) in the archives of the academy, but are stopped by a man named Beaumont. After enough looking around you realize that he's been visiting the island on and off for hundreds of years trying to find it. He's trying to open something on the island- a Gaia Engine, giant glowy mystical cube. Beaumont doesn't say much but that they "literally make the world turn." You find it first, but accidentally let Beaumont access it. You defeat him, but are stopped by Cassandra, a... groupie? Of his that you met earlier, who takes the sword and leaves.

The Darkness War (and the Templar mission report) reveals that the sword is Excalibur, brought by vikings about a thousand years ago to stop a Mayan invasion. (They were trying to open a void and unleash filth. The final boss overlaps roughly with where the Gaia Engine is located in Blue Mountain.) The Polaris reveals that the vikings were caught on their way back across the Atlantic by the Isle of Dead Ships, the source of the fog and the same, massive floating tangle of red seaweed that caught the Kingsmouth ship. Excalibur stayed there for about a thousand years until the fishermen took it, which, uuh, pissed off most of the things (Draug) there.

An investigation mission (Strangers From a Strange Land) in Blue Mountain reveals that Loki followed the Vikings over, but knew that they'd hit the Isle of Dead Ships on their way back and stayed on the American continent, identifying as Beaumont. Cassandra's final line ("It's not you, it's me.") is suspected to be not only mocking Beaumont for something that he says earlier in the mission, but also an indication that Cassandra is actually Loki and had just done tricky mind stuff on Beaumont. (In Norse mythology, Loki has a history of swapping genders in addition to manipulating people.)

Stuff that happens after Solomon Island and Egypt:
You have a vision/are brought into a place called the Dreaming Prison, first when you stop Beaumont at one of the Gaia engines and again when you stop Akhenahten from rising in Egypt (I, uh, got too tired to describe Egypt, but that's what happened, sort of). A voice promises you power. Environmental cues link this voice to the Filth. After Solomon Island, you can choose to accept this promise (and probably do it by accident, a lot of people don't realize that you refuse it by jumping off a cliff), and you can reaffirm it or change your mind after Egypt by choosing whether or not you bow to the voice.

That last spoiler chunk gets a lot more complicated, and ties into (right after character creation)the vision that you have of the two suited figures (I would make a junk character to rewatch this before finishing Transylvania to refresh yourself), the Hell dungeons, Tyler Freeborne (the 1.6 mission chain), what Agartha and the Buzzing are, The Facility (first dungeon in Transylvania) and actually a lot of other things.

I, uh, really should just make a wiki, but I don't want to help the ones that are already there being useless.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

More at the link. There's a bunch of other places which are based on IRL places too, which I've been meaning to find out more about. Would that sort of thing be worth adding to a potential wiki?

Many things would be worth adding to a potential wiki! I've hosted sites before, but don't really know how to make one.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

50 Foot Ant posted:

I would have done it yesterday, but for some reason the servers were down for me till about 6AM.

It knew we were going to do the lair raid.

(If I'm home on time I might tag along on an alt, Ralts.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Huh. I hadn't noticed that the Envoy of Ca'doro signets are tradeable. I want to sell one, but without green versions there's no way to estimate the price- the few that are on sale (5-10 million) have been there for a few days, and there's only one of each.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

My favorite bug:

If any of you bought Delta Force, enjoy the invisibility gloves, they're getting fixed in 1.7.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

This might be something for the FAQ- you can create additional inventory "bags" for free. There's a little + button on the top-right corner of the main inventory window. Like with the main inventory window, you can expand each of these smaller bags by dragging the marked part at the bottom-right corner, but you're still under the overall inventory limit. (Which you can expand for PAX by hitting "Expand Size Limit" at the bottom right of the main inventory window.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

orcane posted:

Other than pubbies exchanging terrible ideas on the TSW forums and some outdated info, I can't find any actual signet "guides" for all roles and their most common builds. Does such a thing exist or do I have to research and write one myself?

I wrote this out and then realized that we do have a signet guide now! All of this should stay true after 1.7 (or be true because of 1.7). I'll copy it to the offsite later.

All Major signets are valuable (there are only three and they have the same drop chance as every other signet)- Violence (+attack) is the most valuable, Vigour (+health) the second-most, and Amelioration (+heal) the third-most. General wisdom is to go for Vigour as DPS or a Tank, and Amelioration as a Leech healer (if your gear setup has Major healing talismans so that there's no stat overlap, and if you're good at not dying to stuff). The reasoning behind this is that DPS get well into the diminishing returns for Attack Rating with full 10.4 gear, so they don't get much benefit out of the Violence boost. Tanks and DPS both benefit from extra health (DPS survive environmental hazards more often, tanks can equip more Attack gear). Leech healers stay well below the diminishing returns of Heal Rating and Attack Rating. The ideal stat split for them is almost 50/50 (with a bit more HR), and because Amelioration are cheaper, they're the better boost to get.

Breaching is a valuable signet that *can* be used in every role except for fist/blood heals- it provides a group-wide damage buff when you Penetrate, but you never need more than one in a group (or two in a Raid). It should be taken by a Tank or a Leech Healer to maximize DPS, so just sell the ones that you get if you never do either of those things. FWIW, we already have two Purple breachings and a third is on the way. Once Rhan gets one, we won't need more on the Raid, and the two that we have now are pretty much at critical mass in Nightmare groups.

For DPS (and leech healers):

The best Minor signets (usable only on Minor talismans) are the ones that give a 1/2/3% boost to a specific damage type or weapon. The two most common builder weapons (the one that builds is almost always the majority of your damage) are Assault Rifle and Pistols- this is why Execution (AR) and Liquidation (Pistols) are some of the most expensive Minor Signets. Leech healers should take Execution. (There's a minor signet that gives a 1/2/3% boost to Leech effects, but it's not as powerful a boost.)

Abuse/Aggression/Fury/Laceration are the best (and most valuable) head/weapon signets for DPS and leech healers, giving the most significant boosts to damage output. Abuse gives the biggest percentage damage boost, but procs the least often (10% chance on attack). Aggression usually has the most uptime, but only on Weakened targets (15% chance, it'll only proc when you have a tank). Fury applies regularly (1.7 will see it apply every ten attacks). Laceration provides a 15-second boost to Crit Damage (ignoring diminishing returns) whenever you critically hit. As far as I know, Laceration is the best option for a secondary weapon due to the length of the buff and the fact that you can apply it reliably with Elemental Force. It looks as though Abuse/Aggression/Fury will be fairly equal in overall damage increase after 1.7, but that needs testing. I recommend that Leech healers avoid Abuse for the sake of reliable healing output. As a regular DPS, if you can't afford any of these or don't get lucky with a signet bag, Opportunism and Sadism are the second-tier DPS signets, and are receiving buffs in 1.7.

For Tanks:

The best Minor signet is Ablation. It applies damage reduction whenever you go below 50% health, which is often. (As a new tank, it's because you take more damage, and as a well-geared tank, it's because you have less health after equipping several Attack talismans.) I really like this signet because it's also useful soloing.

For Weapons, Castigation is the best choice for your builder. It has a 10% chance on attack to prevent your next 12 hits from glancing (glancing on impairs is bad), and it's going to give a 1/2/3% damage boost after 1.7. The other weapon doesn't matter as much, since it only applies while you're holding that weapon. Interdiction gives you a (buffed in 1.7) heal whenever you Impair, otherwise go for one of the second-tier DPS signets like Opportunism or Sadism for a small aggro boost.

It gets a little bit more complicated after those- as a Tank, you can signet for damage reduction or additional DPS. We all go for DPS right now because we're all very familiar with the Nightmare dungeons and the raid and it's mostly about going fast- in this case, the better remaining Minor signet(s) would be Swords, which give a 1/2/3% boost to Blades damage each. But if you're not familiar with every encounter (or you want to be ready for new content), the other good Tank minor is Salvation, which gives damage reduction on a Block, Evade, or Glance (which are things that happen often). That leaves you with a third minor to put a Swords into. Alternatively, one of the best tank drops from the Raid is a Waist talisman which, instead of a signet slot, gives a slowly-rotating 3-30% boost to your Physical and Magical Protection stats. I wouldn't plan around getting it, but maybe fill the Waist slot with something you don't mind replacing.

The Head slot on a tank varies- most of ours use an Attack talisman with Hit on it to share with a DPS set, and thus use whatever DPS signet they have as an aggro boost (or a purple Breaching, if they're one of those people). If you do use an HP talisman in your Head slot (or upgrade an Attack head piece just for tanking), Order is the best signet by far. It can only be slotted on a Head talisman, gives a percentage boost to Block chance (it's kinda huge, and outside of diminishing returns), and procs regularly.

Non-leech healers: I wouldn't recommend investing, so just go with whatever green stuff you get. (Harmony is the Fist minor.) Outside of Hell Fallen, there's maybe one fight that you can't leech heal, but for almost everything else, fist/blood is a stepping stone.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Are the purple head signets you get in Egypt from the credit vendor any good?

The Healing one opens up a few neat options that you can't get elsewhere, so some Leech healers use it even with 10.4/10.4 gear. The Tank one isn't worth it. The DPS one might be worth it if you only ever solo in QL10 blues, but otherwise odds are you'll get enough Hit just from 10.1 and 10.2 nightmare drops.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

We just reformed the Templar cabal, you should jump on the band wagon.

:dragon: playing the long game.

macnbc posted:

I think Tokyo's more likely for Christmas at their current pace.

:(

I'm hoping October, since they want to release it over time, but that's probably true.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

orcane posted:

Have they ever determined what kind of hub the other cities are? Lore jumping puzzle hub and raid hub?

Stormwind and Darnassus.

(I think one was supposed to have a tattoo parlor. And Seoul's sewers are supposed to be full of demons. That's about it.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

fullTimeLurker posted:

what you don't like being stunned every 5 seconds? Honestly that area was much more endurable when Sleight of Hand had a 20 second cooldown instead of a 40 second cooldown. It was the only way that area was doable for me.

Hinders! (Still annoying.)

Is the game down for anybody else right now? The forums and main website as well.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Looks like they're trying to get the Authentication/Community/lots of servers back up.

Tyshalob posted:

Since the game went free-to-play I decided to dust off my copy of the game and give it another try. I don't really remember much about the game. What weapon options pair well with pistols? Is there a ~60 point build somebody can show me to point me in the right direction?

I don't think I have any low-AP builds, but Shotgun pairs well with Pistols. Use Out for a Kill as a consumer, and keep Breaching Shot and Deadly Aim as damage boosts, throwing in whatever hinders Shotgun provides.

Alternatively, it's 36 AP to get through the inner wheel of Assault Rifles, and Assault Rifles are generally great with anything. (Slow the Advance is one of the better Elites early on, and you can get Three Round Burst (a good consumer) and Suppressing Fire (a good AoE builder that pairs well with Wanted) for 9 AP each right after unlocking the outer AR trees.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Did anyone notice whether or not Signet prices rose after 1.5 and 1.6? Fury have gone down in response to the patch notes, and I can't decide whether to sell while most of the signets I'd buy are cheap or wait and sell/buy when they're both expensive.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Note to Frankenstein: I meant "do all of the Investigation missions this weekend," not beforehand. Might not be enough without the double boost.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Hey, raid tomorrow.

Fun fact: you can bring so many damage buffs as an AR/Ele leech healer.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Fewd posted:

Also I noticed that the subscription bonuses seem to be rather weak in TSW. How is this game making any money now? As far as I understood, even all the content is unlocked if I don't sub? That just doesn't seem an overly viable business model to me.

All of the content isn't unlocked if you don't sub- 1.5 and 1.6 each introduced a paid series of missions. They're both kind of great, so I presume the bulk of their revenue is between those and the cash shop outfits/boosts.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I messed around with Breaching on Testlive - the 7-second cooldown starts when the effect is applied, so between that and the 100% chance to proc on a Penetrating hit, it looks like Breaching will always be up as long as one person has it. Between that and purple ones overriding blue/green (but not the other way around), it looks as though the nerf from a 30% damage boost to 24% mostly evens out. I kinda preferred it as a mountains-and-valleys thing, though.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

xanthan posted:

Is it just Funcompetence applied to a taco eating animation?

I'd never seen that animation from the front before. It may very well be the greatest "nonplussed by a taco" animation of all time.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

I usually use the /setoption commands to remove particles to improve performance in pvp and the raid.

Joel has said a few times that some of these are legacy Age of Conan commands, and are not supported by TSW. But the fact that the particle option does work, makes me think these debugs could also work.

This is why you can never see anything, isn't it?

(I will always accept the Hugh that is able to play.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

guppy posted:

I feel sorry for everyone who missed 18/18: The Musical.

And Hell Eternal: The Musical 2.

(Fun Fact: Music causes wipes.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

Its even more fun when your singing causes another groups wipes, especially when you link channels in mumble half way through an intense duet.

Hey, people kept saying this game needed a PAX sink.

Rasmussen posted:

I've been logging on this weekend to get my boots and potions because I haven't had time to play. Will the potions vanish from my bags at the end of the weekend?

I don't think that was specified at any point. Guess we'll find out in a few hours?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Ugh. I went to the official Lore forum. There are entire threads where people are just making stuff up. (And one thread where Ragnar posted after launch :()

I'm definitely gonna make a wiki now. Please suggest domain names/titles, because I can't think of anything to register and I don't want to wait and see if the obvious domain names expire.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

Wickerpedia? E: probably already belongs to a basket weaving wiki or something though

It does :(

Gonna find a hosting provider when I get home tonight.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

There is room on the site, in theory, for a wiki. And before Cheston drops his cash monies that might be a good place to get one started. That's assuming Cheston has never worked a wiki before and wants to play around in a test environment before going live. And FreeEvilBillMurray was just a joke name, if the wiki is trying to be legit then it should be something with a bit more secret world in it.

I've done admin stuff on a couple of servers before, this shouldn't be too different. Definitely going to put it off until the weekend, though. I'll just register two domains and have EBM be a redirect to throw around on the official forums.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Why don't we just improve the crygaia wiki? All the work is done and it wouldn't have the potential of being a goon project.

One post after it's not named FreeEvilBillMurray.

This is all because I don't like the current wikis. Why work on something you dislike?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Zephonith posted:

The Secret World is 50% off on Steam today at $15, tell all your friends to visit.

Looks like it's the top seller right now. Nice.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I'm ignoring PvP until they release the three-way PvP dungeon. (It was announced back when they had twice the people! I can dream!)

orcane posted:

Cleanup and AR DPS as well as leech healing need to be nerfed hard on grounds of basic game balance but we all know if they ever do that they won't actually change the design that mandated both CU and AR dominance in the first place, which will just make everyone miserable and content needlessly annoying.

AR DPS doesn't need to be nerfed. The reason that AR stands out so much is that it was the least affected by all the nerfs in beta, and got the most out of what polish/"feel" they put into the combat system. (The camera shaking and thud sound on a penetrating/critical hit, combined with Burst attacks triggering that feedback more often and being able to trigger it several times in a second, combined with good animation/sound and the slowdown effect on Safety Off, is why AR actually feels like a good weapon while most of the others feel like ineffectual plinking.) I'd rather see the useless 80% of the wheel improve.

On leech healing specifically: it is a straight upgrade from the other two healing options, but only at a very high gear level. I haven't heard a reason as to why it should be nerfed beyond "to make Fist and Blood more useful," which, again, doesn't seem like a good reason when neither of those two are as mechanically interesting. (And Leech healing is one of the most interesting mechanics in the game, see: The hundred-page threads about it.) Right now, the harder encounters like Slaughterhouse or the NY Raid tend to assume some level of Fist or Blood as a supplement (I.E. the filth waves in NY, or the electricity in Slaughterhouse), and I like that balance.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

orcane posted:

there's a reason games with holy trinities don't give healers the tools to massively contribute in damage and healing at the same time.

Because they don't want healing to be incredibly fun?

I'd take "they probably can't do it" as a very good reason to keep the status quo, but we'll see how it goes. The signet rebalance looks like it'll improve quite a few of the "worthless" ones, and the Burst nerf looks mild enough to be reasonable.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

I would accept an entire boss or missions involving those, because those things are pretty rad.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Whisper of Darkness was never affected by Debilitate. Probably not by Major Ward either. It should be affected by Physical Protection and I have some old parses that clearly show that it was at one point.

I remember this as well. Rev, let's compare you and Rhan's Phys protection before the next raid and see how it goes. We kept changing because the effect seemed to vary, so.... mystery?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is it wrong of me to really be frustrated that 90% of the hammer abilities seem exactly the same as older ones? Or they're at least so similar that it really negates having quite so many abilities to choose from...?

Is it that I'm just a dumb newbie? Are the other ability branches like this?

I feel terrible spending so many points on (what appears to be) a rubbish ability.

It is not wrong at all, and a lot of the other branches are kinda like that.

If you're referring to one hammer Active that you got as 'a rubbish ability', it's not a complete waste since each branch within Hammer tends to have at least one useful or noteworthy Active in it. (One of the Elites makes a volcano!) If you're referring to Hammers in general, it's pretty strong in the current meta as a Tank weapon (particularly for bringing higher DPS), so don't feel like you've wasted time.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Talkc posted:

How does recruiting a friend work in this? A friend of mine was wanting to recruit me to play this.

register.thesecretworld.com has an "Invite a Buddy!" button on the left. You can enter a real email, or a junk email and just give out the code that it creates.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

HughGRect posted:

Edit: Oh hey, more costumes from Halloween in the cash shop. Pretty pretty princesses can now be a princess for reals. Or dudes can be prince what the gently caress ever.

What's left? Pirate and Santa?

(I regret getting Pirate.)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Rookersh posted:

My current spec is Safety Off, Pump Action, Anima Shot, Fire at Will, Out for a Kill, Fire in the Hole, and Lock and Load.

Definitely get Three Round Burst, a second single-target consumer will help you a lot.

It does get better as you gear up (blue gear lets you specialize, whereas green stuff is intentionally spread out on stats), but what doesn't change is that going for survivability will usually just make encounters take longer. Most of the time, you can just focus on DPSing an enemy down and then eat a taco afterwards. (You buy tacos in London. Or any other food, I guess.)

I'd limit yourself to one builder (or only use Pump Action when you need AOE, and not worry about Weakening enemies). And pick up Breaching Shot from Shotguns, it's a useful buff that could replace Anima Shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Someone back me up on this. I feel only one of my demands is ridiculous.

You've really gotta start pacing yourself, man. Make the Murray last.

• Locked thread