Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know I've brought a bunch of people through, and I know Thwoompa did as well. I'd be shocked if Cheston and Plat and Rasheed hadn't as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So few of us play these days I don't know if you can reliably find people. I don't even know if I have it installed. Towards the end of my tenure I messaged people on Steam, which is obviously no help if you aren't already part of the regular crew.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Issue 10 is live. Time to wait and see how much is broken on launch.

Did any of you try to add me on steam? I got a random friend request and I don't want to ignore if it it's someone trying to get me to run dungeons.

poo poo, I am probably going to patch up. The last issue missions were real good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HORMELCHILI posted:

Got this game in the sale, its pretty cool. I just moseyed over to The Savage Coast from Kingsmouth, and im finding it to be a huge jump in difficulty. I though I had exhausted Kingsmouth but are there any good things left to do over there after the story has me moving to the miskatonic institute or whatever its called? Kingsmouth has gotten a bit too easy and basically everything except zombies kills me in The Savage Coast unless its 1 on 1. I didn't do the dungeon in Kingsmouth, does this game have the easy group finding for instances like SWtOR?

It doesn't really, no. Ask in /General for the zone the dungeon is in.

And yes, dungeons are a good way to gear up for the next area -- they'll give you top-flight blues for the region. Note that blue items, in addition to the higher stat budget, put all those stats into the primary resources (like damage and crit) and none into HP, so if you wear all blues you'll be squishier than you're used to. People often wear a green or two when questing, even though it's "worse," so they can have 3k or so HP.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Drinkfist posted:

You used to be able to cartwheel though the lockout invisible wall when you die in a boss battle. It allowed you to cartwheel back into the fight after releasing. It was the only way you could clear one of the Hell Dungeon's for awhile due to the boss being impossibly tuned. Funcom later said the boss fight was fine because people were clearing it and not knowing we were all cartwheeling back into the fight to kill it. They fixed that poo poo later on.

I forgot which boss it was called but it was the one where you drop into the room and there is two hell tyrants that are linked or something.

Machine Tyrants. I had no idea that was fixed.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Ah. That sounds more like the Funcom we know.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good thing we played TSW and are prepared. The Filth has spread from the Tokyo subway to the Chicago one.

KetTarma posted:

Would it make me terrible if I filled the inner skill circle to try out all of the weapons before I start specializing in the ones I like?

No, this is a solid idea. It's cheap and you'll want passives from all over anyway, and it makes it smoother to transition to a new weapon when you decide to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
SW is a very fun single-player or online-enabled small group game for most of its runtime, based more on its investigations, lore, and achievements/collectibles/Pretty Pretty Princess Dress-Up Simulator and not on its combat, though the more free form ability wheel allows for some novelty. As an MMO it is fun for about ten hours (normal dungeons, so spread across the playtime, not continuous, slow for another ten (elite dungeons), bad but progrssively better for about 100 hours (gearing up for Nightmare dungeons), good for another 10 or 30 hours (Nightmare dungeons, maybe a raid or three), then bad forever.

Drinkfist is absolutely right about the content; it comes out at a trickle if at all, though it's usually good when it does. There has been no new multiplayer content in forever, except scenarios, which are actually worse than nothing; I'm not confident there will ever be new dungeons. Most of the player base is insufferable and/or twelve. The game is absolutely worth playing, even now, but it's not a game like WoW that you'll see yourself playing for years and years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thwoompa, I am glad you are not dead.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Jesus Christ what is wrong with you. A. I wouldn't think anyone would find it difficult to believe that someone is being harassed while playing video games after the last few months, B. if they aren't it's no concern of yours, and C. they don't owe you poo poo and don't have to prove anything. Leave them the gently caress alone.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you aren't selecting the most hideous and off-putting wardrobe possible I don't even know what to tell you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I missed my stupid bee game and reinstalled this. Don't know how long it'll hold my interest but hey let's have some fun.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reclaimer posted:

Genuine curiosity as I have no real idea what tanking is like at higher levels of play: Is it really necessary to add more hate builders than Blade Torrent and No Love Lost into the deck with Agitator in there? The pistol stuff is just for funzies, trash waves or fishing for crits to proc Advantage Me. I mostly use the blade stuff for serious fights (Blade Torrent+Clearing the Path for constant penetration to trigger Immortal Spirit, Sudden Return and Arterial Pulse) with a Wanted tossed in whenever the resources are full for a snappy 700-1000 damage (with Agitator that's 2-3k hate unless I'm completely misinformed- and I like the contemptuous animation for it).

The answer to whether you should change is "It depends." At your level you can get away with basically anything. There are a few reasons to think about doing it:

1. Ultimately, there will always be an "ideal" way to do things, in terms of what makes the numbers under the hood work out the best. You don't have to do it, but you are making things harder for yourself.

2. Some weapons have abilities better suited for tanking than others. As Len said, for example, impairs are really nice to have. Eventually they're necessary, but at your level not interrupting something nasty probably won't kill you. At endgame it can wipe the group.

3. If you are eventually thinking you will want to do late/endgame content, you definitely will need to optimize. There are three kinds of dungeons, or at least there were when I was playing regularly: normal, elite, and Nightmare. In normal you can get away with anything, and elite is just normal with bigger numbers. Nightmare adds extra mechanics and makes the numbers REALLY big, and the problem is that Funcom doesn't understand their own game. (That's not an exaggeration. Funcom employees are routinely unable to clear their own Nightmare dungeons. They don't actually test anything to see if it's reasonable, so people have had to find all kinds of crazy workarounds to finish a few of the Nightmare dungeons.) If you want to do those Nightmare dungeons, you're going to have to optimize a lot. That's a really long way off and you will eventually unlock every ability for every weapon, so that doesn't mean you have to do it now. Personally I like to learn the "best" way so that I'm used to doing it when the time comes, but you don't have to. Note also that you can save multiple decks with multiple weapons, so there's no reason you can't have whatever build you feel like for soloing and a different one for tanking dungeons.

quote:

Reality Fracture seems pretty cool but it's a 10 sec cooldown so you can't spam it every other builder like CtP. Discouraging; I'm putting together a Blade/Chaos deck and need another Chaos Consumer or else I'm leaving resources on the table in between cycles. Crimson Theatre is the same way.

The lack of spammability is actually an advantage in many ways. Crimson Theatre and Reality Fracture are persistent ground effects, which has a few benefits. First, you can cast it once and then you don't have to waste any global cooldowns for a while, meaning you are free to press other buttons and do other things. Second, and this is the main reason to go this route, you can lay it down, and not only will it help you keep aggro on everything in the area, it will let you pick up extra things that wander into your vicinity. (Sometimes that's more useful than other times, since your main builder while tanking will likely be a point-blank AOE around you.) That's particularly helpful somewhere like Darkness War, which is all about the adds.

Blade/Chaos with CT and RF were the original recommendations when people were learning how to play, but at least when I played regularly it wasn't considered the ideal anymore. Eventually people got good enough that they didn't need either, which let them use other weapons for other benefits. (A big one is doing more damage. At your level your goal is mainly to stay alive and hold threat, but when you're trying to win a tough fight at endgame, every little bit of damage helps.) It's been a while but I think king poo poo when I played was Blade/Hammer, with neither CT nor RF. I can log in and look up my exact build, but I have no idea if that's still the best.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Re: Aux weapons, chainsaw is fine and all but to me mobility is king so I almost always use the Rocket Launcher for Death From Above.

People seem like they want a little direction, so here are some sample builds. I logged into my account and got these directly from my saved loadouts. At one point these were considered pretty much optimal but I have no idea what's changed since then. Getting all these abilities will take a lot of effort, but if you don't know what abilities to buy they're good things to work toward. When you're doing dungeons while leveling it's fine not to have all these. In fact, when you're doing dungeons while leveling you can do pretty much whatever you want, no one is going to complain that you're using some kind of weird Chaos/AR build DPS. But if you're like me and want to be putting out the best results you can be while leveling, these can be helpful to you.

AR/Shotgun DPS dungeon build - Yes, this has two Shotgun consumers, it's because of Lock, Stock & Barrel. Build to 5 resources, use Three Round Burst, then Lock Stock, Out For A Kill, Sure Shot. Repeat, if Lock Stock isn't up just do TRB and OFAK. Yes, Fluid Defence is/was considered an optimal DPS ability because of the Penetration proc. Yes, that's weird. In certain Nightmare dungeons you may need to replace something with Sleight of Hand. To adapt for questing, I replace Do or Die with Slow the Advance, Lock Stock with Lock and Load, and Sure Shot with Suppressing Fire so I can easily kill crowds of small weak things.

Active
1. Safety Off
2. Three Round Burst
3. Out For A Kill
4. Sure Shot
5. Lock, Stock & Barrel
6. Breaching Shot
7. Do Or Die

Passive
1. Accuracy
2. Lethality
3. Ferocity
4. Eagle Eye
5. Twist the Knife
6. Iron Maiden
7. Fluid Defence

AR/Elemental Dungeon DPS build - I have a couple of these saved, hopefully this is the good one

Active
1. Safety Off
2. Three Round Burst
3. Blaze
4. Fire Manifestation
5. Anima Charge
6. Short Fuse
7. Do or Die

Passive
1. Closer
2. Iron Maiden
3. Twist the Knife
4. Lethality
5. Elemental Force
6. Ferocity
7. Fluid Defence

Blade/Chaos Baby's First Tanking Build - easier to play than Blade/Hammer, a good way to learn to tank, not as effective at endgame. Emphasis on survivability, not threat, still perfectly fine til Nightmares. This build has a lot of Impairs. There are better Blade/Chaos builds but CT/RF make tanking as a newbie very easy.

Active
1. Escalation
2. Provoke
3. Crimson Theatre
4. Reality Fracture
5. Art of War (Elite)
6. Chaotic Pull
7. Trial By Swords

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Fuel to the Fire
3. 12 Gouge
4. Intensity
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. Hardcase
7. Sixth Sense - that's what in my saved Blade/Chaos build but I bet several alternatives would be better, I haven't updated this build in a long time because Blade/Hammer is better at endgame.

Blade/Hammer Advanced Tanking Build - I have a few of these saved, hopefully this is the good one. Special builds for special circumstances, my build for tanking the NYC raid is a bit different

Active
1. Blade Torrent
2. Clearing the Path
3. Razor Shards
4. Stone's Throw
5. Stunning Swirl
6. Trial By Swords
7. Beatdown

Passive
1. Agitator
2. Iron Maiden
3. Breakdown
4. Hardcase
5. Shoot 'Em Up
6. 12 Gouge
7. Flight of Daggers

Blood/Fist Healing Build - A good base for heavy healing output, no damage

Active
1. Exquisite Corpse
2. Cauterize
3. Nurture
4. Surgical Steel
5. Creature Comfort
6. The Scarlet Arts
7. Cold Blooded - this is a hilariously good oh-poo poo button but there are a few dungeon cases where using it will kill you because of the self-damage, in those cases swap for Fired Up

Passive
1. Healing Sparks
2. Nurturing Gift
3. Subtlety - optional, but advisable when running with newbie tanks who won't be good at picking up/holding enemies
4. Hot Iron
5. Making Amends
6. Shadow Medic
7. Empowerment

AR/Fist Healing Build - This is a leech healing build, where you heal mainly by doing damage. It is harder to do than something like Blood/Fist, but it's great to have because things die faster, which means fights are shorter, which means there are fewer chances to gently caress up mechanics. In some cases, if your group's overall damage output is good enough, you can avoid mechanics entirely! Ur-Draug night phase is a great one to never see again. Important note: to leech heal you will want attack rating gear. My endgame gear set for this was apparently all attack rating, but you might want some healing gear at lower levels. There is one Nightmare dungeon where this build is impossible to use because it has a shielding mechanic.

Active
1. Anima Burst
2. Transfuse Anima
3. Lock and Load - this is now a healing cooldown!
4. Energise
5. Reckless
6. Shelter - very optional but nice for healing minor damage to everyone around you
7. Reap and Sew - downright necessary for Nightmare Ankh, but a great emergency healing cooldown in general. Since you'll have a Fist weapon, Fired Up is available -- but because you have attack rating gear on it won't be nearly as effective.

Passive
1. Eagle Eye
2. Twist the Knife
3. Anima Boost
4. Knuckle Down
5. Lethality
6. Closer
7. Experience

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Should I be selling or disassembling my unused loot?

Don't bother disassembling things, making stuff is pointless until very endgame when you'll need to make runes and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Reclaimer posted:

Both you and Len have done this, so I gotta ask, why three impairs? As I understand it after three uses of an impair ability a boss becomes immune to impairs. Are there many situations where you need to use an impair three times within thirty seconds? Otherwise I get having a backup impair in case the first misses but if both miss you probably don't have time for a third chance.

There are bosses that do 3 things that need to be interrupted; in Nightmare not interrupting any one of them might wipe your whole group. If the CDs on those abilities have been reduced feel free to adjust as needed. An impair can also be a defensive cooldown in a way, giving your healer a chance to catch up if you're taking a lot of damage or have over-pulled.

• Locked thread