Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Cheston posted:

My go-to roleplaying character is named LilithLilith "LilithLilith" LilithLilith, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the name was not taken.

I always suspected you were kisi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Man, someone in #awful mentioned today that the Illuminati are basically the Saints, and I'm astounded by how true it is.

Now I want to get a purple suit/gangster clothes, and go Pistols/ARs or someshit. Get ready for SR4 by fighting Cthulu.

Does this mean Geary is the president, cause I could get behind that!

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

HughGRect posted:

Leeching frenzy solo builds really require at the very least QL 10 blue attack pieces and healing pieces.

Disagree with you there Hugh, I leveled 2 characters with leeching frenzy solo builds and they completely dominated solo content and did not need q10 blues at all. I had no issues with any content and was generally undergeared especially on last character, I consider these two builds to be 2 best solo builds I've found. The ranged build is only build I or anyone else I know can use to solo the lairs with and they are pretty much the toughest solo content in the game.

Builds I used were:

Melee: (Sword/Hammer)
Blade torrent, Clearing the path, Razor shards, Stones Throw, Trial by swords, Beatdown, Eruption.
Shoot em up, Leeching frenzy, Lethality, Breakdown, Sharp blades, Twist the knife, From the abyss.

Ranged: (Assault Rifle/Shotgun)
Suppressing fire, Tear Gas, Fire at will, Lock stock n barrel, Lock n load, Breaching shot, Do or die.
Shoot em up, Leeching frenzy, Lethality, Eagle eye, Hit n run, Arterial pulse, From the abyss.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

HughGRect posted:

Looks pretty solid Thwoomps, would you still use Tear Gas after they gave it a cooldown? Why use shoot em up when there is nothing in the build that requires afflicting, wouldn't overpenetration or the recently buffed sudden return be a better choice? Genuinely curious.

Bit outdated info, I would use overpen, Twist the knife or sudden return now. Tear gas is still worth using, just do a similar rotation to single target ar/shot. 5 builders, lock stock n barrel, breaching shot, do or die, tear gas, fire at will, 1 builder, lock n load, fire at will, tear gas. All it means is it takes one more builder and a bit of concentration to get the job done but you also get a fire at will(4) instead of a fire at will(3).

thwoompa fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 16, 2013

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

WarLocke posted:

I've been reading up on this thread while Steam downloaded the game (and now the patcher is running again, wtf), and while I'm pretty much convinced I want to go Illuminati I can't decide what weapon(s) to take. I'm not a big fan of AR simply because that's such a common vidja game weapon. Would something like Fist/Blood or Fist/Elemental or Pistol/Elemental work? Fist/Chaos? I'm just going by what the names of each 'sound' like they'd do, I have no idea about in-game abilities.

Every single combination imaginable will work for solo content, you only need to worry when it comes to group content. If you wanna aim to have a particular role when you reach q10 then pick sword/hammer for tanking, fist/pistol for healing and any combo of ar/pistol/shotgun/elemental/blood for dps. Pistol/shotgun would probably be the best to pick till you know what you are doing.

WarLocke posted:

Also kind of worried about finding a decent 'nickname' this late after release, but meh, that's what I get for being late to the train I guess.

Don't worry there is plenty left, there is a reason it's an almost dead game(funcom lol).

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Fathis Munk posted:

The game has a lot of aspects I really like so far, but that "only one mission at a time" thing is getting annoying pretty fast. Do you actually have to do all the missions to stay the appropriate level ?

E : Also how important are the talisman skill points ?

Talisman skill points determine the gear you can wear - try and keep all three in line with your wep skills.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Shinino Kage posted:

So which Faction are we in? Or are we also spread out amongst them?

Spread out amongst factions and different cabals, unfortunately there has been lots of drama related to the "leadership" of the main goon cabals. At this stage it's best to just list your in game name in the thread and add other people whos ingame name you see in the thread. Some goons hang out in mumble but not many.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Nostrum posted:

So I've been raging around Kingsmouth with AR/Ele, and it's fun, but I'd like to try a melee build before I commit to one or the other.

I was looking at this: http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.0902.0482gg004g0002.09.09.09.074g0094.09.082003.09000/b5br5l51blea68eq404n4wb24u5iboep

And thought it looked really fun. However, that's an end game build and I have no idea how to adapt it to a "first 60" type build. Is that build even still good for soloing? I just need a little help with the progression aspect. Thanks in advance.

Something like this?

Actives
1) Escalation (Chaos PBAoE builder, Frenzy)
2) Clearing the Path (Blade PBAoE consumer, 40% chance to penetrate afflicted targets)
3) Call for Eris (Chaos single target consumer)
4) Stunning Swirl (Blade elite Impair cooldown)
5) Martial Discipline (Blade bonus defence cooldown)
6) Illusion (Chaos bonus evade cooldown)
7) Surging Blades (Blade dash cooldown)

Passives
1) Intensity (Escalation weakens targets with exposed and glances less)
2) Shoot'Em Up (Frenzy attacks like Escalation place strong afflict on target, AR, expensive)
3) Sudden Return (extra damage on pens)
4) Immortal Spirit (pens give heal over time)
5) Regeneration (Martial Discipline gives heal over time)
6) Lick Your Wounds (hits give heal over time, Fist)
7) Fluid Defence (pens give damage increase, glances give damage mitigation, Elite)

Use sword/hammer, chaos is terrible now you are not forced to use it for one passive.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Len posted:

For loving around early game the guy can use chaos if he wants :colbert: besides isn't it you who used to say "hammer sucks until you get the gear to back it"?

No hammer is better than chaos at all gear levels by a significant margin. The only advantage chaos has over hammer is discord rising which is not worth giving up the additional damage of hammer for. Fist/Chaos is still ok but there is no reason to ever pair sword with chaos over hammer tanking or solo.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

If you want a blade/hammer soloing build then use this:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.0902.05230008g.051k.048401.09.058.09002.09.09.043.09000/5h7a5l7g4z6j7seqbi40504u9s6k6mep

Basically unkillable and shits damage.

Also someone said that Signet of Order was "the other good tanking head signet," so what's the other good one?

Aggression, Abuse or Castigation. Order isn't good if you have 10.4 which you should easily have by time you thinking about slotting purple sigs

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Len posted:

Thwoompa I know that you are an endgame player and have all the endgame gear. But you keep commenting on newbies and telling them how they should be playing if they were in the endgame gear.

It's better to save signets then put them on non purple custom gear. Signets are end game gear and are usually acquired after getting a portion at least of 10.4 custom gear. At no gear level is order/resilience/valour or any other signet better than Aggression, Abuse, Breaching or Castigation for tanking because your tanking gear should have decent levels of defence/block and get very little benefit from defensive signets.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

elhondo posted:

I wasn't really clear on what I was trying to express. I was responding to a post on pubbies sucking in Ankh. While I personally admit to the failings of stacking health and ignoring AR (that's just the way the blues fall before elites), I am a consistently bad tank, and my results vary greatly. Some runs go really smooth, aggro can be lost and recovered, and other times, the healer in purples can't keep me alive through multiple attempts. I don't know the hate formula well enough, but it makes me think that the TSW forum posters had something were on to something when they were pondering overhealing = additional aggro.

On a separate note, Ankh PUG's are where the nominally chill community tends to break down.

The problem is chaos. Swap to hammer and use stones throw and razor shards, never have agro problems again. It doesn't matter if you have an overgeared healer or dps then because hammer is so good at generating agro and doing more damage generating more agro once again. I've been in the situation of having q10 blues and running thru dungeons with the best dps in the game and its a joke to hold agro with hammer compared to chaos. Choas was the tanking build because it used to be the only way to apply exposed, this changed a long time ago but people for some reason still tank with chaos. You can get by with chaos but its a battle especially when you outgeared by others in the group, it's just dumb doing it considering you have much better options.

You also must have ar gear in addition to tanking gear always, try and take 2 majors AR and you will work up to more later on.

Whats your in-game name? I'll be happy to come help with dungeons.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

So that's completely obvious (or maybe not). Thanks!

I've got main weapon skill up to 6, and off hand at 4. Need to get my talisman skills up to equip the nice stuff from last night's dungeon runs, then I'll boost the off-hand weapon skill more.

You can also buy ql6 weps from a vendor just outside DW, the third dungeon in blue mountain using the solomon tokens you have been getting from quests.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I've never heard HughGRect use a mic but that doesn't stop him from hanging out in mumble.

There's usually people on around US prime time and then it'll taper off until the evening AU/NZ time at which point there's usually a few of us around.

Hugh has a sexy voice and he does use it sometimes!

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Len posted:

My five minute raid achievement, karma curio, and warchitect costume all gained through less than legit methods say Funcom doesn't care.

You would have easily done them legit by now with minimal effort, Funcom don't care because there is no real reward for doing these achievements. Shame as doing these things is prolly the most fun you can have in the game.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

dasbrooner posted:

Okay Secret World Goons, help me out here.
I'm interested in playing this game with the Mrs, but some pages back there was a lot of talk about solo instancing. Is this game the kind of thing you can do a two person team run, or is it a bunch of single player quests with the occasional group/co-op quest shoehorned in?
Would be kind of disappointing if the latter.

You can mostly get by fine doing quests with 2 people although you will run into portions of quests which require solo instances(some can be meetup exploited). All this means is each person must be capable of killing a couple of mobs solo, not that big of an issue. The main problem area for this is savage coast, things get better after that.

My first character I leveled as a "healer" with multiple other people in group and every time a solo instance came up I just abandoned the quest and waited for everyone to finish then joined on next quest. Everyone leveling should be using a solo build no matter how many other people you are leveling with. This means you have to do some extra grinding to be able to tank/heal dungeons, get carried or wait till q10 to do elite dungeons.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Cost of magic is hands down the best quest in the game when done the proper way like in Cheston's video.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Degs posted:

I just burned my way through Blue Mountain and realized there's probably a Goon thread for this game. Now I really, really wish I'd waited to start this game until after the changes in that dev letter go through.

Whatever, I'm already done with those bullshit ak'ab and that loving Moon Bog. Egypt is a loving breath of fresh air after that horseshit. It wasn't even hard, just annoying and really, really showing the limit of the solo combat.

Anyways, at this point, as blade/chaos (switching to blade/blood) in Q7/8, can I solo Polaris and the other solomon dungeon? Didn't get to do them.

edit: nm switching blade/blood, really wish I hadn't put that many points in blood. I don't think my stats are high enough to make this work

You might have a bit of an issue soloing polaris until you in q10.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

WarLocke posted:

What society are the people still playing this with? Or does that not matter for grouping, only pvp?

Only pvp.

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wasn't there a fist pistol healing build because pistols had good utility and cleansing?

Pistol is almost useless for healing from what I remember better off pairing fist with blood

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Propagandist posted:

I'm at least in the boat where I've not done any dungeons at all, so I've got a lot of content ahead of me to experience. I'm not sure where exactly to get started. I do know that I need to do some dungeons and then kill a gatekeeper in order to access NM dungeons and rake in sweet BBs.

Do I need to do the normals, then elites, then gatemaster or should I skip the normals? I'm in QL10 blues with some 10.1 purples from the issues, and two QL10 purple custom weapons.

You can skip the normals

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

Len posted:

If the party wiped to his AoE that pops after his charge for each person killed that way an Eblis would spawn. You could kill a duplicate without having to worry about ending the fight and it dropped his loot bag. So you could murder infinite Eblis and get as much BB as you had patience. This was also during the time where you could abuse a weapon power bug so after every 10th wipe you could add a permanent (until you left the zone) boost to your damage equal to your highest weapons weapon power.

This was never rolled back. The only roll back Funcom ever did was NM scenarios to remove the achievement clothing from anyone who went into NM solo with a group

These two were the greatest of bugs, the third would have to be infinitely summoning lair bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

I can't wait to hear what a clusterfuck the nm dungeons end up being especially doing them all master planner and getting outfit.

• Locked thread