Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

databasic posted:

This is lovely! What kinds of pastels did you use? How long did it take? Did you use regular paper or pastel paper?

Thanks! I used these on 110gsm cartridge paper, which is apparently suitable for pastels https://theartshop.com.au/products/mungyo-soft-pastel-set-32-half-sticks

Figuring out the proportions of the pose took a lot longer than colouring everything. Hard to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Haven't done anything in more than a year but finally started something new:

It is going to have a twist but that's at the very end.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

TheMostFrench posted:

Thanks! I used these on 110gsm cartridge paper, which is apparently suitable for pastels https://theartshop.com.au/products/mungyo-soft-pastel-set-32-half-sticks

Figuring out the proportions of the pose took a lot longer than colouring everything. Hard to say.

Thank you! I’ll look into it.

Do you do gesture sketch practice? Quick Poses has a feature that automatically cycles through model poses (nude or clothed) at an interval you can choose. I think I set it at either 30sec or 2min per pose for like 10-20 pics. After like 3 practices, proportions got much easier

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Thanks everyone!

databasic posted:

Agreed! It's very good for a first portrait! (I am so afraid of portraits, so this is awesome to me.)

It does look like harsh lighting, but overall, it seems like you captured the forms and levels of the face really well in a slightly abstract way. Not sure whether you're looking for feedback/what kind you're looking for, but the hair is a little structurally confusing to me. Do you have a pic of the source?

Out of curiosity, did you use acrylics or oils?

Definitely always welcome to feedback, and I agree about the hair. Initially I was trying to get the thick paint for the hair that's in the reference.

Worked on it some more today, darkened some shadows, the background, and started messing with the hair a bit. Eventually going to go back in with more light colors.

Also next to the reference picture I'm using.

edit: I only use oils

Mustang fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 19, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
once you cut in with some of the super brights and darks on either side it will really come together. on the reference photo the white/cad yellow mixes really pop for the hair and the darks with what looks like umber will make a big difference.

I always find it a bit weird working off references of other peoples paintings but it is a good learning tool. My teacher used to make us do cezanne for still life practice.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
slowly made my way back into figure drawing last year - here's a few from the last couple of months. the "+" next to the pose time means i hosed around with it at a later date.

i'm particularly happy with the pieces in acrylic marker (5, 7 and 10 - i have a few others) since i've only just started working with it. starting to run out of pieces of cardboard to reuse, though

most important lesson learned so far is i should probably see if i find a proper scanner because no mater how much i mind the lighting and the angle the pics of my art taken with my phone still look like rear end

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Anyone have any experience modifying the characteristics of Golden crackle medium? Even the thinnest application results in platelets that are just too large for my preferred uses.
I'd like to decrease the size of the platelets by at least 50% to match some other brands of texture paint but am having an incredibly hard time figuring out how to do it.

I've tried modifying the surface once I've spread it out with a palette knife with spritzes of flow aid, isopropyl 70%, and atomized dawn dish soap due example and if anything it's increased platelet size or stopped the mediums ability to crack entirely.. I've also gone in the opposite direction and tried using modeling paste and acrylics in different concentrations to adjust the cracking character but I've had no luck altering it's ability to crack, everything has inhibited it if anything.

My goal is to get something more like this

Instead of this

I've already emailed Golden directly and they were just :shrug:

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I bet you the goons in the Miniatures Painting Thread would know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054777

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Here is some stuff I did recently.

So now I have all these loose leaf things lying around. Normally I work in sketchbooks and those are stored nicely but what the hell to do with all those leafs? How do other dirty hand goons do this?

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Keetron posted:

So now I have all these loose leaf things lying around. Normally I work in sketchbooks and those are stored nicely but what the hell to do with all those leafs? How do other dirty hand goons do this?

Those are all great.

For storage of loose works I have multiple three ring binders. Look for something called "photo sleeves" or "page protectors." They're thin plastic sheets with pockets and rings on the edge so you can clip them into the binders. They come in various sizes, and also have sheets broken up into multiple smaller pockets, so find whatever is right for you.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Keetron posted:

nice. I like the shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Keetron posted:

I use "presentation books" like these for my lino prints:

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/go-see-presentation-books

GoSee and Itoya are the brands I see the most in stores but I'm sure there are hundreds of others.