Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Painted my first ever oil painting today, a simple river and some hills.

Glad I signed up for some classes, trying to follow stuff on youtube wasn't really working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mustang posted:

Painted my first ever oil painting today, a simple river and some hills.

Glad I signed up for some classes, trying to follow stuff on youtube wasn't really working for me.

Love this, just beautiful.

I actually had some success following along with Bob Ross, haha

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oils are great, i think they just look so smooth and buttery :allears:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Linocut, black and gold ink on paper
18 x 24 inches

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted a pear today. next weekend in class I'm going to learn how to paint a glaze over it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Mustang posted:

Painted a pear today. next weekend in class I'm going to learn how to paint a glaze over it.

That's a nice pear! Nice brush strokes in the pear, as well. Is it oils on paper?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thank you! Yeah it's oils on canvas, but from a canvas pad.

I cannot believe how much fun I'm having with oil painting, wish I had been exposed to it at a younger age.

I've gone through a whole pad of canvas and a whole tube of white paint in the last week, mostly just painting different color variations of the river landscape I posted earlier.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Mustang posted:

Thank you! Yeah it's oils on canvas, but from a canvas pad.

I cannot believe how much fun I'm having with oil painting, wish I had been exposed to it at a younger age.

I've gone through a whole pad of canvas and a whole tube of white paint in the last week, mostly just painting different color variations of the river landscape I posted earlier.

Ahh okay! Yeah oil painting is super fun, lots of people are intimidated or scared of it, but they really shouldn't be.

I've juust starting playing around with oils again too, after taking a break. I stopped painting because of Covid in 2020 when the studio I was going to closed (along with everything else). Now I'm just messing around with it in my house, using oils on paper and painting over sketches that have been brushed over with this stuff:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

First cover everything you own in a thin coat of Liquid White

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted an apple today.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

More practice.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Painted some candles.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mustang posted:

Painted some candles.

I really like the way this turned out.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Mustang posted:

Painted some candles.

Your values on this is spot on!

TheNamesEllen
Oct 3, 2023

:sanix: :sludgepal: :sueme:

:rubby:

Mustang posted:

Painted some candles.

That’s neato. ^^

Bisexual ADHD dumbasses unite!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks everyone! Having a ton of fun getting back into art while I'm unemployed. Taking both an oil painting and a drawing class right now. The drawing class is only 2 months but I'll probably just always keep the oil painting class going, it's taught by a local longtime professional artist.

So far my oil painting teacher has only had me paint with 100% oil paint, haven't touched any mediums yet.

I should have waited longer to paint the white, the red paint was still wet almost a week later and had to be careful to keep it from blending together.

The black line on the tray was also kind of difficult just because I had a hard time keeping it straight for that long. Guess I need to get one of those bridge things.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Some Wizards fan art for the inktober prompt "Saddle".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
behold!

a jar with a face sculpted into it:

a bowl with a chunk of metal jammed into it:

this thing, an unholy combination of wood and ceramics:

TheNamesEllen
Oct 3, 2023

Empty Sandwich posted:

behold!

a jar with a face sculpted into it:

a bowl with a chunk of metal jammed into it:

this thing, an unholy combination of wood and ceramics:

The last one looks like rotten meat. Very cool.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I painted another oil painting but it's quite glossy and hard to photograph because of that... is there a trick to it? I have pretty diffused lighting but maybe I need some specific camera settings...or do people matte varnish their stuff usually?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I painted another oil painting but it's quite glossy and hard to photograph because of that... is there a trick to it? I have pretty diffused lighting but maybe I need some specific camera settings...or do people matte varnish their stuff usually?

Most artists I know and myself varnish oil paint with gloss and yeah its just misery to photograph. Some people wait till exact right time of day to take em outside and photograph, some people set up elaborate diffused lighting. When I was in art school we had folks from the photography department who would photograph for the other mediums a lot.

I personally just live with the horror of a tiny bit of light bounce at the top right of every painting photo I put on etsy like a miserable rear end in a top hat.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Most artists I know and myself varnish oil paint with gloss and yeah its just misery to photograph. Some people wait till exact right time of day to take em outside and photograph, some people set up elaborate diffused lighting. When I was in art school we had folks from the photography department who would photograph for the other mediums a lot.

I personally just live with the horror of a tiny bit of light bounce at the top right of every painting photo I put on etsy like a miserable rear end in a top hat.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to play around with my setup and lights.
In the meanwhile, enjoy a bunch of detail obscuring glare, featuring a bird.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

TheNamesEllen posted:

The last one looks like rotten meat. Very cool.

I think this is my aesthetic

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I painted another oil painting but it's quite glossy and hard to photograph because of that... is there a trick to it?

I run into something similar with gloss glazes. I photograph outside in the shadow of a building. overcast days help. you can play with the angle of the camera and painting to minimize it.

a friend had a really clever setup where he basically made a floor and ceiling out of a long run of white butcher paper, which diffused the overhead lighting.

I've seen someone use a $1 folding plastic basket as a diffuser, too.

but even so

silicone thrills posted:

I personally just live with the horror of a tiny bit of light bounce

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

a friend had a really clever setup where he basically made a floor and ceiling out of a long run of white butcher paper, which diffused the overhead lighting.

Brilliant. Yes. Thank you!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah the gold standard is bright lights at an acute angle (at least 45 degrees), diffused by diffuser boxes or bounced off a white surface, but any diffuse light at an angle can make do. And if you varnish your paintings take the pictures before you do it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Starting new paintings and doing the first half of it: yes, winning, in my lane and thriving
Finishing paintings: help I'm being poisoned, bad feelings, I'm stuck in the ditch without AA

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Starting new paintings and doing the first half of it: yes, winning, in my lane and thriving
Finishing paintings: help I'm being poisoned, bad feelings, I'm stuck in the ditch without AA

Lol ive gessoed over so many paintings that were at like 90% because i just didnt love them anymore..

Finished a bit of a different painting this week.

Also did a lil print block for the first time in like 5 years. This is just test print one off an ink pad. Lost my brayer somehow so i am waiting on an order from blick for printing supplies. Considering doing some print runs again.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

silicone thrills posted:

Also did a lil print block for the first time in like 5 years. This is just test print one off an ink pad. Lost my brayer somehow so i am waiting on an order from blick for printing supplies. Considering doing some print runs again.

The painting is great, but I'm a sucker for stark lino prints :swoon:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Inktober, day 27: Beast

I'm very late to inktober and haven't done any of the other prompts. Yet!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anatomi posted:

That's super loving cool. Very Saturn Devouring His Son vibes

I've been doing some of the prompts. My health been super bad this month so i'll do 2-3 of them on days when im feeling ok. They're good overall challenges to at least think creatively about how to fulfill some of them.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks man! That's very kind.

I'm sorry to hear about your health. It's cool that you can still squeeze in a few prompts here and there — do you have them here in the thread? I'd love to see 'em.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

anatomi posted:

hell yes

silicone thrills posted:

That's super loving cool. Very Saturn Devouring His Son vibes

exactly my thought

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anatomi posted:

Thanks man! That's very kind.

I'm sorry to hear about your health. It's cool that you can still squeeze in a few prompts here and there — do you have them here in the thread? I'd love to see 'em.

Here's a couple of the ones that I felt like I kicked rear end at. Usually using a metropolitan fountain pen with birmingham ink "compost" and then a jelly pen for white highlights. paper is strathmore toned so I wouldn't have to think about mid tones as much.

Castle prompt:

Wander

fortune

Spiders

Im also treating them as very short one and done style sketchbook prompts so if I gently caress up it is what it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Here's a couple of the ones that I felt like I kicked rear end at. Usually using a metropolitan fountain pen with birmingham ink "compost" and then a jelly pen for white highlights. paper is strathmore toned so I wouldn't have to think about mid tones as much.

Castle prompt:

Wander

fortune

Spiders

Im also treating them as very short one and done style sketchbook prompts so if I gently caress up it is what it is.

Love everything about these

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yeah, those kick rear end!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Painted another bird. I swear his wings don't look so much like they have wing abs irl I don't understand photos

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A couple great looking birds! Love Silicone Thrill's crow, and Harvey is yours some kind of kingfisher?

I painted something "loose and expressive" for the first time. Definitely not my style, but it was fun to do something different.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mustang posted:

A couple great looking birds! Love Silicone Thrill's crow, and Harvey is yours some kind of kingfisher?

I painted something "loose and expressive" for the first time. Definitely not my style, but it was fun to do something different.

Looks great! And sorry I'm not sure, just a bird I found online. I checked the filename and it said "bird" which was very helpful.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Also painted some watermelons, didn't go dark enough with the values of the lower parts closer to the bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNamesEllen
Oct 3, 2023

I redrew a scene from Epic Mickey 2 two weeks ago, and I'm still impressed with it. Might share some more stuff if y'all are interested or not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!