Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I did my first painting. I have no idea what I'm doing. I watched Bob ross all morning, splurged at michaels and then mucked around. I really enjoy this. Oil on a 5 or so inch canvas.

I painted warhammer figures with acrylic before. This is uh, very different. (I feel like lots of people start by painting this lion, it's from a 2 step guide I found)

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

dog nougat posted:

That's really good for your first try at oils.

They're a different, if not difficult medium. They dry via oxidation and not an evaporative process, so it takes months for them cure fully. This gives them a great ability to blend and rework though.

With oils you can lay your whole pallette out and work for days with it. A generally good rule is to start with your mid tones, push your dark tones, and finish with the lights.

Oils require mineral spirits/solvents to clean and thin, so keep it ventilated!!

Odorless mineral spirits/citrus thinners are better than turpentine, but are still dangerous. I recommend some pallette cups for some sort of mixing oil (linseed is fine), and a cutting solvent. While you can paint straight from the tube, if you mix just a touch of oil and a drop of solvent with your working paint you'll get a nice, buttery smooth paint that lays on well.

Rags and various cups of thinner are your friend. Have my dirty solvent cup where I get the excess paint out of the brush after wiping it with a rag. Then I move to my cleaner solvent cup to finish cleaning the brush when I move on to another color. Get some mineral oil to keep your brushes conditioned for storage as the thinner/solvent is pretty drat hard on the bristles.

Very helpful! Dumb question but if I don't want to waste rags, is there a trick to cleaning them? I think if I threw them into the wash my wife would have right and reason to murder me. I'm only asking because being oil based a soak in a bucket seems like it wouldn't work well.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

dog nougat posted:

In the sink under cold water. Just a dab of dish soap in the palm of your hand works well. There are also brush cleaning soaps as well. In general try to avoid soaking your bushes standing up, it can soften the glue and bend the bristles.

Edit: really any soap should work fine for brush cleaning, you just need to get the oil out of the brushes (linseed and painting oils over time will rot the fibers of the brushes, which is also why you need to prime oil painted canvases)

I'm sorry if I wasn't explicit, I meant rags - but sounds like regular soap in a bucket should be fine.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I got covid fat and have a lot of old clothes I can cut up. It was meant to be.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Bonus of using a scraping block. This is about 6 months worth of scrapings and it's like just a cool abstract now.

It looks like goku

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Beautiful art and on-demand ocd generating machine.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Zoben posted:

Thanks all :keke:

Another part, it turns into a more surreal look on either side. Trying to do a somewhat less trite/cliche version of an ouroboros for this album cover, but it's hard to come up with new poo poo. I lessened my stance on avoiding skulls, at least for this one, since they're fun to draw and automatically get more attention

I love how you make such complexity out of simplicity with clearly defined borders. The way you view your art in progress while you're building something like this up is really interesting to contemplate.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 13, 2021

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I absolutely cannot find Waldo but it's still awesome

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Claeaus posted:

Charcoal is fun but portraits are hard. I gave up getting the likeness pretty quickly and the reference just became a general reference but pretty happy with it anyway.

That beard looks like it took a lot of control to get right, it's very impressive.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Oil painting number 2!

Got some new colors and wanted to use everything

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Its pretty wild how long it can take for burn out from work to wear off and feel creative again. Felt real good tho.

That do be how it be. I work in a career where people can die if I gently caress up and it absolutely kills my creativity when it's stressful. Bad few days at work turns me into an exhausted uncreative wreck well into the next week, when the next big stresser hits.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I'm just starting to branch out from minis to trad art and it's very intimidating. There's a comfortable shield of excusing your perceived imposter syndrome under "they're just toys who cares."
With oil I feel like there's a higher bar. The safety net is gone, somewhat.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

It's So. drat. Good though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I painted another oil painting but it's quite glossy and hard to photograph because of that... is there a trick to it? I have pretty diffused lighting but maybe I need some specific camera settings...or do people matte varnish their stuff usually?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Most artists I know and myself varnish oil paint with gloss and yeah its just misery to photograph. Some people wait till exact right time of day to take em outside and photograph, some people set up elaborate diffused lighting. When I was in art school we had folks from the photography department who would photograph for the other mediums a lot.

I personally just live with the horror of a tiny bit of light bounce at the top right of every painting photo I put on etsy like a miserable rear end in a top hat.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to play around with my setup and lights.
In the meanwhile, enjoy a bunch of detail obscuring glare, featuring a bird.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

a friend had a really clever setup where he basically made a floor and ceiling out of a long run of white butcher paper, which diffused the overhead lighting.

Brilliant. Yes. Thank you!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Starting new paintings and doing the first half of it: yes, winning, in my lane and thriving
Finishing paintings: help I'm being poisoned, bad feelings, I'm stuck in the ditch without AA

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Painted another bird. I swear his wings don't look so much like they have wing abs irl I don't understand photos

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mustang posted:

A couple great looking birds! Love Silicone Thrill's crow, and Harvey is yours some kind of kingfisher?

I painted something "loose and expressive" for the first time. Definitely not my style, but it was fun to do something different.

Looks great! And sorry I'm not sure, just a bird I found online. I checked the filename and it said "bird" which was very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Mustang posted:

Don't really like how this one turned out but it's my first ever portrait. Reference painting had lots of shadows and it was tough to emulate.

I'm doing my first portrait right now as well and art isn't a race but if it was I'd be having a seizure at the starting line watching you disappear over the horizon.