Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux
This didn't turn out like I'd hoped. I also didn't have lighting that didn't take all the green out of the background for the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

From a photo by Vivian Maier.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

eggyolk posted:

What material is this? Seems like you're losing a lot of information from the source, particularly the depth of the scene and the form of the figures. Could just be your photo though.

It's acrylic paint. Looking back at where the old lady in the foreground cuts off the view of the man it definitely looks like there's not enough visual contrast to make the man's body distinct from the shoulder and arm of the old woman in the photo. In the painting as the paint has settled now, the figure in the right foreground is more distinct from the man.

The man in the center still looks that way, I had meant for him to be ghostly like the other figures, but the lack of 'outline' for his shoulders does throw some ambiguity in there that doesn't need to be there.

Do you have any quick suggestions or have I covered the basics? I'll hopefully get around to working on this a bit more this weekend.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

I was going to finish up that last painting, but I did this instead:

It's really hard for me to get back to a painting. It's a bad habit that I'm not doing much to control right now. That's something I'm trying to work on.

Stroszek fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 13, 2014

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Kudos on the wabi sabi.

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Stroszek posted:

I was going to finish up that last painting, but I did this instead:

It's really hard for me to get back to a painting. It's a bad habit that I'm not doing much to control right now. That's something I'm trying to work on.

I decided that with this painting, I would actually go back and do more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Popcyan posted:

This is a WIP commission, acrylics on box canvas, a wedding first dance picture. Deadline's coming up, I can't get it to come together, and this poo poo is beginning to haunt my dreams. I'm working off a bunch of different photographs for different elements, hence the messed-up light sources. There's obviously lots of little things in the picture I need to fix up - the dude's face and shirt for example - but the overall composition, light/dark balance and negative/positive space ratio seem all out of whack and I don't know what to do about it.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone has any advice at all on how I could salvage this, I'm at the point of just tearing it up and starting again.

The elbow on the man seems to be below his waistline; his arms seem disproportionately long for his body. The perspective on the man's pants suggests that you used a reference photo with the camera facing up at the couple from a lower angle. I think you may have overcompensated vertically on the figure for it.

The light is somewhat confusing, but why don't you, based on what you've done so far, think about what direction your main source of lighting should come from so that you'd only have to make minimal adjustments.

Maybe if the background were a lighter color, it wouldn't box in the very light colors you used for the figures - maybe try looking at that with photoshop adjustment layers first if you can.

lumpanoodle posted:

Various abstract geometric pieces I've made this year on sketch paper

In the 90s, this would have blown away the Lisa Frank/Trapper Keeper/binder design competition. I mean that in the best way.

Stroszek fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 20, 2014