Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hello art forum. I have never had a reason to post here before.

Is there a specific thread for watching Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting and finally taking the plunge or is this the right one?

This was done using the official Bob Ross Master Set paints and tools, on a bad palate and worse/cheap canvas. Based on this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mO3qjbDv24

Things I have learnt so far:

I went overboard on adding sticks down the front.

The little water fall in the middle was a happy little accident and looking at it now I should have added some rocks and splashes to the base of it.

The brown log thing was supposed to be a dirt edge of the water, but ended up looking more like an old log. I should have added some black branches to it.

I tried to do highlights on the trees at the front but it just became a green mud instead of yellow highlighted.

The cut in the mountain in the centre is me trying to fix something. Should have left it as is.

The odorless paint thinner Is NOT the Bob Ross stuff. It was sold to me by an art shop lady, and it sucked. I need a much bigger can to wash the paint off in, the one she also sold me is tiny and would work if I was using 1-2cm sized brushes, not 1-2 Inch. I should/could have used my old Games Workshop one instead. I need a bigger bucket and I need much better paint thinner. I suspect getting a bigger can to wash in may have worked fine for the actually thinner.

I had a big bucket to beat the devil out of the brush, but I need something across the bucket to really hit the brush with - hitting the sides just got paint back on it. It was pretty useless at actually drying the brush an I ended up using an entire roll of paper towels to try (and fail) to get the muck off.I read I should buy some dowel and glue it inside to use.

I need more brushes so I don't need to clean them every single colour change. Ugh. My canvas is small so I only need 1inch and some fan brushes.

The Official Bob Ross Paints suck as Official Bob Ross Paints. They were all very oily. I did kneed the tubes first and shook the magic white beforehand. I do think the magic white worked quite well. I had read to try putting it on cardboard for 30 minutes first to soak up the liquid and then use it. I will try that next time.

The brown at the bottom is the final conclusion of mud mixing I ended up doing it. It was supposed to be yellow highlights on light green and ended up a brown mud. :(

I have read that Windsor paints are close enough to do Wet-on-Wet technique. Is this true? Unlike the Bob Ross ones, they are actually available from shops in Melbourne. AFAIK the only way to get the Bob Ross ones in AU is online. Are there more than one Windsor paint type, or any paints types that would be recommend for Wet on Wet?

I need to get more paint out of the tubes next time.

No one seems to sell plastic palettes (just wood and one I was sold by art shop lady that's white), and none are as big as Bob uses. I had to keep cleaning the one I got and making new space for colours. I need a bigger palette to mix on. Can I use the other types of palette or can you mix on wood or whatever? I got the impression trying to mix on wood would be harder than acrylic.

I choose to buy a cheaper easel and my god I regretted it. It fell down 3 times (the green blotch up top is because of it) and the size is all wrong for the size of canvas I was using - there's no way to lock the canvas into the easel which is bad when trying to push the paint in with a palette knife. You're supposed to hold it down with sand bags I guess. I need a better easel. Whelp.

I did use a cheap canvas for my first few attempts, so that's a given. And I did want to keep my first painting rather than going over it again - I want to compare before and afterwards for next time.

Setting up and closing down and cleaning up took as long as the painting did.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU