Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been posting my miniature Bob Ross paintings over in the daily thread but I'm unreasonably proud of this one so I'm tossing it in here too.

Got liquid white everywhere doing this, somehow. Everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

I really like this one - it's kitch, but it feels like a tropical sunset.

You mentioned having issues colour matching, so assuming his own-brand paints are a match for what he used in the videos, find a colour chart for them (seems to be pretty hard - maybe the info is on the actual tubes and you can ask on a relevant forum), then match them to whatever you're using.

Cheers, I will! So far I'm winging it and just approximating what he's doing, but I'm already getting the itch to move beyond 'copy Bob Ross' so we'll see how it goes:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is really cool, the colors are great!

I can't paint with oils for the life of me but I've always wanted to paint little 2"x2" landscapes on tiny canvasses then encase them in resin so they could be used as shower tiles

Thank you!:) These are 5"x7" which is just right for me, but I do feel the limitations of the size when trying to do fine details.

Today, seaside. Tomorrow I may or may not finally attempt a bigger canvas.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've been messing around with watercolour tutorials this weekend and my goodness I enjoy how little setup and teardown there is compared with oils.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Chip McFuck posted:

Does bookbinding count as a traditional art? I've been making my own sketchbooks since the quarantine started and getting back in touch with my love of book making. Here are a couple I made over the past few days:

Been really intrigued by stab binding lately. Finished up this one this afternoon using the same cover paper as one of the above. I've never seen a stab bound book with a spine covering, so I figured I'd give it a shot:

I think it turned out pretty good!

Hey these are excellent! I've seen videos of people doing bookbinding and it looks really satisfying.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sigma 6 posted:

Did another burn of Zoben's art today.

So remember the Maya apocalypse "Baktun" back in 2012? Well... I guess it was supposed to be 2020. drat Mayan math. Definitely failed that course in school.

f

Please do not bring on the apocalypse with your awesome pictures.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

dog nougat posted:

Finally finished this dang poster. Made the mistake of helping my girlfriend cut her grass and used a string trimmer for a couple hours. My hands were jittery/shaking for a couple days, so there was no way I was gonna try painting like that, glad it's finished. Feel like it took me too long overall tbh. Need to get it scanned, get some prints run off, and get it framed.

Wondering if i should apply a layer of matte fixative.

This is excellent and I love it very much.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

hosed around with this watercolor for about an hour. From a photo I took at rialto beach a few year ago.

I hate water.

This is great! I love the waves especially.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You have inspired me, I'm gonna pick up the watercolours again. Work went mad and I got exhausted and stopped but I find doing art actually *gives* me energy, so I should do it even if I feel tired, I reckon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

Quetzalcoatl, The Feathered Serpent

ooo what did you do the black lines with? This is lovely.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

In this case a pentel pocket brush but more common I use a Kuratake 50 sable brush pen filled with a platinum carbon ink using a converter. The pentel ink is waterproof but needs a bit of a drying time, the carbon ink is waterproof as well but is dry as soon as it loses the gloss. Also, the pentel uses cartridges. Final difference: the pentel brush is synthetic, the kuratake is sable, so a bit softer and I think a smoother ink flow. If you cannot find either, I have been contemplating doing this with a brush and india ink but the convenience of the brush pens is hard to beat.

I love using india ink with my dip pen but there's no real line weight variation possible because it's just a glass dip pen. I might break out a brush though. Thanks!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm terrible at taking care of brushes but I want to move on to some decently expensive ones so I must Change My Ways.

Watercolour tutorial! Some things worked well, some didn't. I like the clouds. And I'm glad I didn't break out a ruler for the eyewheel, I like wibbliness and vagueness and looseness in watercolour. Wish Westminster Bridge didn't line up with the boat jetty thing so perfectly, I should have been watching out for that. Overall I like it though.

e: in keeping with my usual accidental habit it looks a bit like the Houses of Parliament are on fire but I guess that's just what was in my heart

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

That is really nice, especially that tree. Trees are hard and you nailed it.

Aw thanks! Can't take credit for the composition, it's a tutorial I was following, but I am pleased with how the tree came out. I'm slowly learning when to stop loving with things and leave them be.

e: Bought some very cheap khadi cotton rag paper. Only 150gsm. It didn't warp anywhere near as badly as I was expecting considering I didn't pre-stretch it or anything. Must avoid heavy working on it though - fibres started to peel loose. To be fair I was going nuts because I was messing with sky colours and going over the same spot five or six times. Overall I like it, the texture is beautiful and it loves the paint.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 4, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Choda Dog posted:

I just finished this one for someone in SA Mart. Her name is Betty.

Gorgeous! That soft background is perfect for the darkness of the dog.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Spinz posted:

Your whole sky looks marvelous

Thanks so much! I'm pleased with the clouds.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Swan! Love gouache for highlights, my new favourite.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

little car I did for Meh-pril over at the (mostly) goon art discord:

Ooooo your ability to understand the shape of a car makes me jealous, that's gorgeous.

Today, cat!

And cat 2, I enjoyed this one-colour thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

perepelki posted:

i love the texture on her fur! she looks skritchable :3:

a birthday painting for my father

Oh my lord I love this! What did you use for the line work?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Choda Dog posted:

Thanks guys for the great feedback :D

another portrait from SA Mart. This is Ziggy (orange) and Marino (green)

These colours are *insane* I love them. So much personality in each bird!

I did a Stitch today. I love Stitch beyond reason. Look at his ears.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

VM those flowers under the trees are amaaaazing!

Hey lion painter-- that's great! First painting! You better keep it up :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It looks like goku

Holy poo poo yeah, what you've got there is a classic accidental Goku.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

birb

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Trabant posted:

gently caress yeah, both of those kick rear end.

Lino proof, part 2/2, which hopefully explains what I was going for with this whole thing:

And since I'm apparently only capable of printing over the weekends, hopefully I'll have a real-deal one in a week.

I'm not wholly sure why but that super reminds me of Pink Floyd's The Wall and I am here for it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

I don't have any art to share at the moment but in the traditional art world, I'm a tad dismayed to see Peter Gric sharing transphobic memes and views on Facebook since I've been a big fan of his for some time :smith:

Always such a disappointment. Better to know, I guess.

Magpies! Done for my sister before she finally answered my message with 'oo one with three magpies would be great!' well TOO BAD you shoulda got back to me before I completed the sketch.

e: replaced with colour-corrected to look more like it looks IRL, dumb camera

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 8, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Quiet in here ain't it? Today I tried polymer clay for the first time and made a small Pikachu. He's about an inch and a half tall.

The colour difference between the clay and the touch-up paint is way less obvious to the eye than on camera. Was fun to do!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

HopperUK of this parish did a whole bunch of Bob Ross with acrylics.

Oh hello! I didn't, I'm afraid, I mostly used oils. I've had limited success with acrylics though I've started messing with them now. My only advice as a total beginner is that even if the paper says it's primed, you might wanna buy some white gesso - it's cheap, buy a big thing of it - and paint a layer onto the paper before you start your actual painting. And don't thin acrylics out with water unless you really must because it fucks up the binding and the paint will slip and slide all over the paper like a dickhead.

These days I do watercolours because you don't have to break out paint thinner and chemical-weapon your nosy cat.

e: I painted a spaceship with heavy body acrylics and it pleased me though. I don't wanna hear the nacelles are asymmetrical there is only so long I'm prepared to spend crossing my eyes over a sketch when all I wanna do is gently caress with paint:)

It's the Orinoco I think. I should do more spaceships. Combine your nerderies, I say.

e2: I am tickled pink that someone remembered my pictures.:)

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 4, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

Haven't drawn for a while. Good to get back to it

Pretty! Reminds me of that famous 'wave' painting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

This adventure's map is going to be a bit different in that it's an actual dungeon. It's a lot of real estate so I was going to do something a bit faster; I'm going to sketch out the shape of each room or small section of the dungeon on a watercolor pad, clean it up and go over the walls with a sharpie, draw a line grid and go over that with a finer marker, and then hit the whole thing with a grey watercolor.

Am I right to assume that the watercolor will "wash" over the paper and the marker lines will clearly show throw? And if I layer up the grey wash I can easily get some lighter and darker areas? This is going to be more like a "arts and crafts" than a real painting, should be a little simpler and more suited to cranking out a 4 foot by 6 foot dungeon.

Sound reasonable? Anything I should watch out for?

Fake edit: oh maybe a dark blue would look better than grey?

Did you try this out? I'd usually do watercolour before line work but so long as your markers are permanent it should work like you think. Some of this is just a trial and error thing though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's the order I did them in, you can see I got a little more aware of how the paint and water and paper would interact, also each one was faster than the previous; I was really rushing at the end so I think number three is the best.

Nice! I love the weathered look of the land especially. If you're not using decent watercolour paper, by the way, do get some - at least 300gm/140lb in weight. If you're wanting a weathered look you want cold-pressed or NOT paper, and if you can afford cotton rag, that is best. It's pricey though. If you're in the UK, Cass Arts do a decent watercolour jumbo pad - it's not cotton but it's decent. The paper is the main thing to spend on, if you're going to spend. Then paint, then brushes, I reckon.

I see you got some runbacks there where wetter paint hit drier paint and bloomed into those cabbagey looking things. They're not always awful, but they suck when you don't want em.:) The main skill that I appreciated finally learning was 'lifting' - how to get rid of paint you'd rather wasn't there. Both touching a damp brush to paint to pick it up before it dries, and scrubbing gently and then dabbing kitchen roll to pick out clouds and highlights and stuff in a wash that's already down. Those kinds of tricks are SO much easier on better paper.

e: it looks to me, Not An Expert At All, that you might not be using enough water. There should be a pretty silly amount of water. Wetter is usually better for washes. Do some practice messing around with washes. It's fun!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

yup, this is the way to go. Buy expensive cotton paper and be a very happy painter. Practice on smaller pieces if you fear throwing away money.

yeah I bought big sheets of Hahnemuhle and just chop them up to mess around with. I do also paint on less expensive paper but the difference is really noticeable

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

an egg posted:

thank you so much :unsmith:

Mmmm love that warm little place in the cold surroundings!
Sky's a bit streaky - was your paint a bit dry? If that's the effect you were going for then ignore me because it still looks awesome. I love this. The composition! The snowy trees! The way the focus is tight on the campfire and the little Santas!
Adore it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

Oh, now it works. Hooray (I know the skull and face don't line up perfectly but tough fuckin toenails)

Mmmmm clean liiiines. Delicious. I would never have seen the misalignment if you hadn't pointed it out FWIW.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Claeaus posted:

I'm assuming you meant to quote my post and not an egg's since (while it is awesome) it doesn't have any campfire or santas :D

Thanks! I bought these weird smooth canvas papers which hardly soaks up the paint at all which is really annoying. The sky looks streaky mostly because I gave up on the whole thing.

Man I am posting so ineptly lately. Wrong thread, wrong quote. But yes, I meant yours, it is great.:)

Bah. You might have to gesso the dang things but I get cross when I have to gesso something that's meant to already be primed.

e: see this is what I mean, a shameful snipe, here, I'm drawing Flick from Animal Crossing

my lines are all stupid, shouldn't have inked while tired

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving love this. *Love* it. Acrylics or oils?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Claeaus posted:

Really? Man, thanks a lot! It's made with acrylics.

It feels like I leveled up a bit with this painting. I wanted to paint some random debris and was not sure how to do it and then I just thought "gently caress it" and splashed some colors and highlights down and it just started looking like random debris

Yeah really it's extremely good, you banana. :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Carotid posted:

Hi thread, I'm back with a few pieces to share. The pandemic slowed me down and I didn't make art for like a year, but I've been slowly getting back into things. Here's two watercolor paintings I've done in the last year:

omg loving love this

I am off work this week and I'm determined to get some goddamn art done, I keep letting it slip away from me.

Oil paints - lose your temper and wrench it and end up somehow splitting the tube and now your paint is all stupid and there is a thin even layer of phthalo blue on everything you own. That's how I do it anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

1. Can I recommend sketch journalling? 10~15 mins every day, a small, direct to pen drawing of something in your surroundings and a short blurb (or not)?

I'm trying to get into something like this yes! I have my sketchbook always on hand at my desk but I've ordered one a bit more portable that I can just keep with me all the time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

If you have trouble getting motivated, the book The Creative License helped me out a lot: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40168.The_Creative_License

This seems excellent, thank you. I also use Drawfee's art class streams to remind me not to get in my own head about perfection.

Small amount of content, here's some sketches from last week - my little niece was deeply absorbed in playing Plants vs Zombies and was making amazing shapes with herself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zoben posted:

my version of a biblically-accurate angel

Yesssss love a good ophanim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Honestly I just bought some really big pieces and I cut them to size when I use them. For little unimportant sketches though I'll do those on whatever.