Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hi folks. Long time reader first time poster (in this thread I think)

I did my first plein air painting. I chose watercolor for easy cleanup and space for packing in my bag. It was very different working directly from a real landscape instead of from a reference photo. This was probably about an hour of work. Silver Springs campground near Mt. Rainier.

I'm struggling to decide if I should go back and fill in behind the trees. I took reference photos but is that ok? Does it no longer become plein air if I mess around with it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Worked from a photo reference for this one - Sol Duc Falls in WA.

Watercolor with some india ink to push the contrast. about 4 hr of work.

I realized the last photo I posted was horribly blown out and I am definitely not going to use the same scanner app as before. Just a straight up photo for this one.

Also - Water is SO drat HARD to portray. I want to go back to portraits when I hit water.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Knocked out two more from the same photo set today.

Yay for actually being art productive for once in the last few years!

White River near Mt. Rainier

Silver Springs Campground also near Mt. Rainier.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jikes posted:

I'm a very beginning watercolorist myself. I really like your light values and textures and... sense of scene? there's probably a real artist word for that. I feel like I could recognize each place if I saw it.

Does anyone have good online watercolor resources they could recommend? I got interested when I took a class, but now that it's ended I'm not sure how to keep going with learning and improving.

I wish I could give tips but i've been doing watercolors since I was in 5th grade and never officially learned alot beyond that. Other than the salt trick. The salt trick is fun.

To get the texture on the path for this one, I wet the area with burnt sienna mixed with burnt umber - very light application of color - mostly water. Then you sprinkle on some salt, let it dry, then rub off the salt.

Also to work fast use a hair dryer.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
It's weird. I went to art school and I have a degree in painting and printing. I did literally zero watercolors in all 4 years. Only concentrated on oil which really doesn't help me at all with watercolor.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I really love the first one. The impression I get is fantastic.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Did another. The photo for this one is probably better than the painting. It was a fun one to try because I finally got a bottle of masking to make sure the spots I wanted to be bright stayed bright.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I suddenly decided to execute on an idea I wrote down about 8 years ago. Linocut mountain (Mt Rainier) with quotes from The Hobbit.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

snucks posted:

Love these! I've been wanting to do quick gouache/watercolor studies in nature for a while now.

Did a couple quick pen sketches of environments while on vacation this month. Still trying to find a good way to quickly depict depth and texture in pen, but working fast like this is a good way for me to loosen up and stop worrying so much about linework.

Keep it up! The 3rd one is really my jam.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Went to Daniel Smith and got some new watercolors. More greens! Green gold is officially my new favorite color, seriously.

Couldn't sleep the other night and did this one. It's just relaxing to paint forests.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Back at the bench after a little soul searching break. Trying out some new (to me) Japanese papers, too.

Still new to woodblocks, do I need to seal the wood first? I feel like I'm losing a good amount of ink to the grain.

Fantastic blocks! I never sealed mine and we were never instructed to in print class. Then again, you don't think about that when your class is providing all the materials either.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love the timelapse and the painting! I really should do the timelapse thing.

Sooo I finally made an etsy shop to sell off my paintings. Immediately sold a few and got a few commissions.

Someone wanted their photo of a vineyard done so I cropped it in a bit to hopefully get what I think is a decent composition. I'm struggling with the level of detail that I feel like their should be and where my brain says "I'm maxing out on 5 hours of work because I said it would be about $150" It's a 9x12 btw.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Made another mountain linocut - mt baker this time - still trying to carefully navigate pulling out a bit more so the sky is more distinct.

also sunsets have been pretty crazy in western washington so I've got this guy here

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jack Daniels posted:

Good Goon Art.

Thanks :) It really does feel good to know that people actually like it.

So uh on my etsy my sunsets all seem to sell really well. Maybe it helps that right now they are kind of unique due to the fire situation round the PNW. I'm trying to capitalize on it a bit and keep em coming

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Love the watercolor videos!

I'm trying to remember how the heck to oil paint again. I did it alot in college but let the skill slip alot. Here's a tiny landscape-

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have a fine art degree in painting and watercolors are just looked down of for dumbshit reasons.

The gallery art community is a loving cesspool of assholes (in my experience) and it killed my desire to make art for years.

Do you and do what makes you happy. There's something for everyone out there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Felt like painting again for the first time in forever. Just a little oil painting of snoqualmie falls

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

This is my first oil painting in years. It's pretty garish, like it belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop, but I'm having a lot of fun. 28 x 28".

I know someone with that exact style. They're out there!

Also it looks really really amazing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yesterday a group of folks at my company participated in an event called "Steamroller Smackdown" Basically you carve a gigantic linocut and then ink it and a steamroller rolls over it to make the print. It's pretty fun and a rare opportunity to work super big!
The theme this year was Bridges and when we got the theme I think most of us knew it was going to have to be political, given our current state in the US.

The translation of the graffiti is "There are dreams on this side too"

We took first place and its basically the only time i've ever won anything for art and i'm super jazzed because I feel like we all really kicked butt.

This also fits the thread as well because I still am cleaning ink off various parts of my body because inking something this big and then cleaning up afterwards is insane.

Here's a link to the event for perspective http://slublockparty.com/#art

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We ended up pulling 7 in our like 40? Minute allotment. We had 4 other teams in our heat so you've gotta coordinate who is getting the steamroller next. We did some color varients with the butterflies and people because those are spray paint stencil. I happened to throw that teal blue in my backpack Friday mornin on the off chance we might want it! So glad I did. The original design called for pink and it just didn't pop.

1 was sold at the event. 2 were kept by Seattle visual concepts school and we have to figure out what we are doing with the other 4 on Monday i guess.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Hey printmakers, anyone know the pros and cons of relief printing with an etching press vs a press like this or a bottlejack press?

I always liked running my blocks through etching press rollers because the blankets give some amazing embossing effects.

For my home relief printing i'm just using a baren though. I've been considering one of those flat presses just to see how it would go. I assume you could get the same embossing effects just buy putting a felt blanket over your paper like you would etching rollers.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

I've only been barren and wooden spoon so far, but I'm starting to do bigger pieces and it's getting real inconvenient. I have speedball's little hand press and haven't been too impressed with it (assuming I'm not doing something fundamentally wrong, I'm suspicious about my inking game), but I hope/assume the woodzilla presses have more power? I was sold on one of those, but I just discovered these guys and their cheap roller press, and it seems pretty compelling. I guess it loses some oomph with rubber instead of metal rollers, but surely that wouldn't matter much to relief printing?

Dang. Those prices are down right affordable. I can't see rubber rollers being a huge issue other than they will need to be replaced eventually. Rubber will usually end up cracking over time. Same reason like xerox print rollers need to be replaced every 20k prints or so.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Re: Watercolor paper.

I love Fabriano. No idea why it doesn't seem to make it into any top 10 lists but cold press traditional white is my go to. I feel like it has some really good work time and you can get some great layering. I don't ever feel like i'm just pulling up the previous color when I go back into a dry area.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-artistico-traditional-white-watercolor-paper/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

beep-beep car is go posted:

$5 a sheet? cheese and crackers.

That's a sheet you could knock down to like 4 - 6 smaller sheets. I buy it in like 10 to 20 sheet blocks and I think the price makes alot more sense.

My eyes also just kind of roll into the back of my head when I walk into daniel smith to buy paint supplies and somehow I magically leave with right around $100 bucks of supplies no matter what I was intending soooo :(

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Had to remind myself today that I can still actually do decent quick life drawing sketches. Not much but my brain is happy with it :)

Also actually starting a sketch a day habit. 3 days in a row now.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 18, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Neon Noodle posted:

Yes. If you work in Photoshop you can also turn on the Gamut Warning, which can show you which colors are outside of CMYK color space. However, in the long run you may want to investigate the nature of the printing equipment you will use or have access to, because some high-quality digital color printers now have more than 4 inks, and sometimes more than 6.

CMYK is good because it’s almost guaranteed to look OK from most color printing equipment.

We have an epson 5000 that no poo poo - has like 10 different color cartridges. But also professional design firm so somewhat expected.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rather Tonic posted:

The 'Lisa Frank colors' is thing I just naturally gravitate towards. My aim was to cover up an old painting I didn't like, and tackled it basically with the aim of "make the light look neat". I did a lot of playing with warm and cool colors, just experimenting using them in different combinations to push things backward and forward in space. Btw, I think your work with those individual leaves in your painting really paid off, they look beautifully translucent.

I did this guy in the last couple of weeks, 12 x 12:

My daruma doll relaxing angrily in a pot of nasturtiums. If you guys see something that you think is wonky, post it! I'm definitely up for critique.

*breathes heavily*

I love it. Your color transitions are so smooth and everything is so clear. The color pops are bright while still looking natural. I'm filled with jealousy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Teeny tiny oil painting of a teeny tiny birb. Painting is smaller than my hand.

Also here's a little process gif because phones apparently can easily do this built in these days.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 9, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh hey yall Canson watercolor pads are buy one get one free

https://www.utrechtart.com/Canson-XL-Watercolor-Euro-Fold-Pad-MP-10173-001-i1019888.utrecht

edit: Looks like they're all backordered now. womp womp

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 10, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've been trying to get emotion across in my drawings for years and I always feel like everything falls flat and im in a hella lovely mood doing my daily sketch and I think I finally got it.

Behold feeling frustrated and down (layoffs at work have me feeling very doomer)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

That's not bad at all. Concentrate on shading. I use black and white charcoal on toned paper to push forms. Remember shadow defines form.

This was just a 20 min sketch. I've just been trying to do faster/better for quick stuff. I find if I get into the weeds with charcoal then im there for hours.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Made some things for an art auction for a local charity.

Apparently i'm enjoying doing gradients lately.

Watercolors:

This one was actually done in the office with acrylics provided. Havent worked with acrylics in years. like riding a bike I guess.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Oil on masonite. Still trying to get the water in the background right but i'm feeling pretty happy about the crow and foreground. Dead rabbit needs a little more finesse.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lofi posted:

Talking of watercolour, I'm having a problem mixing my colours to anything like a decent strength when I mix from pans (I'm fine when I mix from tubes), any advice?

I usually pre wet my watercolors and walk away for a little while to let them soften up. After 5-10 minutes they'll be soft enough to really pick up color generally.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oil underpainting for a crow painting i'm working on. Think i'm gonna put some cherry blossoms behind it, not in love with the background from the original photo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Started on the background of the latest crow friend. The reference photo background kind of sucks and i'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It's sitting on a cherry tree branch so i'm kind of experimenting with adding in some cherry blossoms and I might just cover the whole drat background in them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hell yeah, I took bookbinding in college and I love it. Super relaxing to make your own sketchbooks. I love the whole sewing the registers together part.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I freehanded. athing on my fence tonight.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Flavius Aetass posted:

nice. did anyone ask you if it was your fence

I'm a white lady. of course not.

2 people i've never seen before and my neighbor stopped by to thank me while I was painting. i was kind of shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I did another crow. Proportions are better this time. Freehanding from a tiny photo on my phone is definitely a skill to rehone.