Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Neon Noodle posted:

Those oils are so luminous :eyepop:

Here's the start to finish. My process is to do a rough sketch with a tombo pen, let that dry - use yellow ochre with galkyd - let that dry over night then paint

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7182375947746823466

I was always a little skeptical about how much of a difference the under painting / basing a color makes but it really does some magic. And any place that i just for some reason skip over with paint at least has the yellow shining through.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crocobile posted:

I have a backlog of presents I meant to finish for friends like 2 years ago that are my current priority during my time off. One more down!

I REALLY need to loosen up; the realism takes WAY too long and isn’t as fun/cute as the digital mock-up. It’s probably a consequence of getting too frustrated with pieces, not picking up paints for months, then reinventing the wheel when I pick them up again and getting frustrated all over. I did have fun with the peonies!

Goal for 2023 is quantity, so the next 2 pet gift portraits are easier. :pray:

Really love it! fabulous idea and execution.

I feel you on the loosening up thing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Google Butt posted:

Sup! I'm dipping my toes into watercolor and had a paper question. I'm shopping for 100% cotton paper for practice and I'm wondering if watercolor block paper is the same tooth on both sides? I'm specifically looking at the baohong academy blocks, and would like to make use of both sides if possible.

I concur with the previous post. I've used a lot of brands and they're all just slightly different on both sides. strathmores in my experience are significantly different, canson and arches are pretty close. random super high end stuff varies. All can be useable on either side. experiment a little and figure out what you prefer.

I used to have a huge issue where i wasnt using my art supplies to experiment enough because I was too precious about the costs and poo poo and its like nah. you gotta gently caress around to find out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

I've also been doing some experiments with setting wood on fire, then printing it

Love these so much

The bottom one reminds me of an owl.

Flambeau posted:

Did another map, this one is Kansas surficial geology. 18x24, I've been working with larger paper and it's pretty rewarding.
Forgive the poor lighting

This is a great idea and I love the execution.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been painting much more these days but im feeling super proud of this one for whatever reason

14x18 oil on canvas.
"Mt St Helens Looms over Cold Water Lake"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chip McFuck posted:

I bought some wooden orbs to experiment with and painted this burger on one. I call it "The Borb":

that must have been such a challenge to paint and not like smudge while holding it.

I really like it. Have you give any thought to how youll display it or future ones?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

A few new things for people to not buy

God these are rad. Very cool

Just finished this. 14 x 18 oil on canvas of Dungeness Spit near sequim washington.

Hoping when i varnish it it pops and evens everything out a bit more but I also just might do a linseed or walnut glaze in a few days.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I painted another oil painting but it's quite glossy and hard to photograph because of that... is there a trick to it? I have pretty diffused lighting but maybe I need some specific camera settings...or do people matte varnish their stuff usually?

Most artists I know and myself varnish oil paint with gloss and yeah its just misery to photograph. Some people wait till exact right time of day to take em outside and photograph, some people set up elaborate diffused lighting. When I was in art school we had folks from the photography department who would photograph for the other mediums a lot.

I personally just live with the horror of a tiny bit of light bounce at the top right of every painting photo I put on etsy like a miserable rear end in a top hat.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Starting new paintings and doing the first half of it: yes, winning, in my lane and thriving
Finishing paintings: help I'm being poisoned, bad feelings, I'm stuck in the ditch without AA

Lol ive gessoed over so many paintings that were at like 90% because i just didnt love them anymore..

Finished a bit of a different painting this week.

Also did a lil print block for the first time in like 5 years. This is just test print one off an ink pad. Lost my brayer somehow so i am waiting on an order from blick for printing supplies. Considering doing some print runs again.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anatomi posted:

Inktober, day 27: Beast

I'm very late to inktober and haven't done any of the other prompts. Yet!

That's super loving cool. Very Saturn Devouring His Son vibes

I've been doing some of the prompts. My health been super bad this month so i'll do 2-3 of them on days when im feeling ok. They're good overall challenges to at least think creatively about how to fulfill some of them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

anatomi posted:

Thanks man! That's very kind.

I'm sorry to hear about your health. It's cool that you can still squeeze in a few prompts here and there — do you have them here in the thread? I'd love to see 'em.

Here's a couple of the ones that I felt like I kicked rear end at. Usually using a metropolitan fountain pen with birmingham ink "compost" and then a jelly pen for white highlights. paper is strathmore toned so I wouldn't have to think about mid tones as much.

Castle prompt:

Wander

fortune

Spiders

Im also treating them as very short one and done style sketchbook prompts so if I gently caress up it is what it is.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The print work in this thread is just off the charts amazing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mustang posted:

Touched up shadows and highlights.

Even my smallest brush felt too big for this part.

You are making improvements in leaps and bounds! Im super impressed. Those leaves are so nice. and the space between the lemons

I wanted to make this a 3 color block with a blue background but i just couldnt get the ink to do what i wanted so i said gently caress it and just did a 2 color. My holiday cards for this year
linocut on totally the wrong paper - watercolor paper - with speedball ink which was probably the worst purchase ive ever made and ill never recover from the abuse and effort it took to keep it the right viscosity.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I specifically rarely work wet on wet because its so easy to make it look like mud.

also yeah beating the solvent brush is uhhh not great. Also a mess. I just wipe as much color off my brushes as I can between color changes with a blue automotive towel and try to make the most of those.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PokeJoe posted:

same plus i use a coil jar w some mineral spirits to get the last of the paint out of the brushes when im done

I got taught the no thinner method in college of use vegetable oil to pull away the last of the color (then wipe it again) and then wash it with some dawn in the sink. it will make your brushes last longer. Plus not having to gently caress with thinner as much. I do still use thinner on my bottom paint layer though for the whole lean to fat principle

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 7, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah there's no exact right way to do the thing other than get the paint out of the brush. But in general try to keep the toxins contained as much as you can.

Speaking of - finished a few paintings. neither of these are varnished yet.

18x24 oil The Tulip Girls

I messed up the bench a little bit so its a tiny bit wonky so im actually repainting this on a 12x12 so i can focus in a bit better and try some other techniques but I really loved the photo I took so im gonna probably paint a few things off it.

9x12 oil Carkeek Crow

I just like crows as per usual.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

databasic posted:

Are you the type of art student who invests in expensive brushes and takes care of them, or the type who buys cheap brushes so they don't have to?

Right now I mostly use jersey rags and paper towels for the things I'm painting, but I have a ton of old brushes with dried-on paint (from stoner days of not cleaning them). I'm not sure how worth it it would be to spend hours cleaning them.

I buy like mid tier princeton umbrias and such. And the no thinner method is like 5 minutes more than washing them out with thinner tbh. So my post painting clean up is like 10 minutes total of scraping my excess paint off the palette, rubbing paint off the bristles, smush into vegetable oil a bunch for a minute or two, rub that off the brushes, then the quick wash.

You might be able to just let the hosed up brushes sit in thinner over night then try some of like the masters cleaning paste sorta stuff after that. ive had that bring brushes back to life with not a ton of effort.

databasic posted:

This linocut is deeply impressive, and it's an incredible idea for a holiday card. Well done!

:3 thank you

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 9, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

databasic posted:

Thank you for the tips! I only paint with acrylics, watercolors, and gouache because I'm a beginner and the hazmat quality of oils terrifies me, so I don't even own any thinner. I have some pink soap that said it was good for brushes, so maybe I'll let some of my brushes soak overnight in that once I find it.

Also, do you record any videos of your linocuts? There is a great deal of dimension to that card that I can't stop looking at. At first impression, I saw layers of dimension to the fir branches, birds, and backgrounds. After looking for a while, it looks like you managed to accomplish ALL of that with just two shades of ink?? And some carving?? I have not paid attention to lino block printing since I was like 8 years old in a local community arts class, but I would love to watch you work. Also, how long did it take you? Did you work from a photo reference? How much did it cost? Would you post a photo of the block itself? I don't currently have the supplies and I'm trying not to spend too much on new items, but between this linoleum cut and the one above with a sun and mountains (I have not checked whether you are the same artist but I audibly gasped at both prints), I am just overwhelmed with the need to create.

Do you sell the things you make? How do you price something like a block print? Is there a specific (affordable) kit you would advise to play around with a few prints?

Pardon my enthusiasm. I don't talk to other people, much less artists, very often. I am very interested in peoples' processes.

So in my profile info is a link to my etsy shop which then also has links back out to my socials. I've posted some various pictures and videos over the years of my linocutting process although I dont have any up for sale right now. This was my first time doing linocuts for my holiday cards and they were a huge hit which made me think that maybe i should plan to do some for next year. That block probably took 4-5 hours of cutting. I tend to work in about 30 minute chunks so I dont totally wreck my hands. The image was from a photo reference that I took up in the mountains a few years back. Cost wise? all in probably 100$ but that includes buying the ink and everything and that ink can be used in other projects.

This was layer one - the light grey (it was platinum sparkle so irl it got some really nice sheen)

and this was the black layer

It was a single block so i after I printed the light grey i carved away anything I didnt want to be light grey to leave the black.

None of these were for sale. They just went out to close friends and family. From like august to december I was dealing with a pretty serious illness and just couldn't produce art the way i really wanted to so I just made about 25 of these. In the future though when pricing prints is kind of about how much work went into it. If I were selling a single color print about that size i'd probably sell it for about 5 each. If I was doing 2 color it would go up. It really depends. Im considering that if I made holiday cards again next year maybe doing some 4 for 20$ sort of thing.

Kit wise - the speedball brand kits are honestly generally fine if you arent trying to get too detailed and you use smooth paper. Cleanup is pretty easy because they use water soluable inks.

FunkyAl posted:

I tend to go relatively heavy on the thinner/medium, At the least I want the painting to be a little sticky the whole time I'm working on it even if it does not always pan out that way. I haven't been able to in a while, but treating a piece of wood with some thinner/spirits and some paint gives me great results. The paint kinda glides.

And what's everyone's favorite stuff for this? I like the holbein mediums and oils the best I think, I like linseed or safflower oil but in a pinch I'll use sunflower oil from the grocery store. I doubt this last part is doing my paintings any favors tho.

Windsor Newton makes a drying linseed oil that I absolutely love. I've tried all the gamvar neoglips and stuff and they're interesting but usually too sticky. I used to use liquin impasto but i fell out of love with it a few years back - the smell and it did weird things where varnish wouldnt adhere to it. Ive experimented a few times with walnut oil but the dry time is insanely long but I really did like how smooth paint got with it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

PokeJoe posted:

I like liquin :shobon:

Makes the paint so nice and buttery and it dries in a day or two

Oh liquin was my mainstay for many many years. there's nothing really wrong with it. some times you just experiment with something new and like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
once you cut in with some of the super brights and darks on either side it will really come together. on the reference photo the white/cad yellow mixes really pop for the hair and the darks with what looks like umber will make a big difference.

I always find it a bit weird working off references of other peoples paintings but it is a good learning tool. My teacher used to make us do cezanne for still life practice.