Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008
Finished this last week, it's finally dry.
Oil on panel, 12"x12"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I have a dumb question for you traditionalists here. I can't seem to get over the fact that now that I've graduated from art school there's no point in making any work because it'll sit in my closet and nobody will even look at it or appreciate it. What do you do with all the work you make? The stuff nobody sees and sits in your tupperware under the bed. If galleries wont take it, where do you put it?

I have an art studio I pay $300/month for. I don't even pretend that I'm going to break even with my work, but I still do paint a couple of days a week. If I was at home I'd convert to working smaller, on paper or uncradled board.
Also I'd keep posting my art on etsy and facebook, and make presents for everybody's birthday. Just because it hangs around doesn't mean it was a waste of your time.

Content:

Edited for GRAAAH PHONE INTERFACE HULK SMASH

Seneschal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2013

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Oh man, a studio would be a dream for me. I'm going to be moving next year and hope to have some more space to work. Right now there's not too much.

I probably would have stopped painting if I hadn't kept the studio after college. It's like a gym membership. Since I'm paying for it, I kind of have to go, and make it worth the money. Of course, it's crazy expensive for a place with no heat, no A/C, and no hot water. But it keeps the dream alive.

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

This is fantastic!

I would say cover the metal leaf in a matte medium (or if this is huge, maybe Floetrol because it is cheap) or perhaps a lacquer first (?)

I am having a show next week. It is only my second show and I was hoping for some sage advice. Does anyone have any professional practice tips or a laundry list of things they like to do before each show?

If you are in charge of your own labels, make sure they're consistent in every way. Nothing sets my OCD off more than show labels that aren't lined up well.

Don't drink heavily. Be prepared to talk about your work without feeling awkward about it.

Anyway, I like to go to a show where nobody knows I'm the artist, and eavesdrop on conversations around my work. It sometimes requires a thick skin, but I really like hearing unfiltered opinions and I use it to advise my next paintings.