Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm taking part in a group exhibition based on Twin Peaks in August. Here's one piece I'm working on for it, featuring Killer BOB.

That's a drat fine inkwash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What kind of paper do you recommend for acrylics? I use heavy, rough watercolor paper for watercolors but I find when using acrylics I can't build up layers. I think it's because the paper is absorbing the paint and causing it to blend instead of layer.

This is really thirsty paper. I have about 20 seconds to do wet-in-wet before it's bone dry.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Never worked with gesso. I've read that some people prime their surface with multiple layers of white in lieu of gesso.

I'll try with bristol board. My only concern is I have a tendency to do a lot of wet work for the background.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'll do some shopping tomorrow. What I'm trying to accomplish are flat, opaque washes. I can do this as an under painting but anything that goes on top will come out semi transparent or streak. I'm using good paint so it's not an issue with the binder. Bristol board works very well but again, anything that goes on top isn't opaque unless I apply it heavily but at that point it forms peaks like impasto and that's not what I want.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah, I want to achieve the flat "cel" style of old cartoons. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JeE5M2Mn38

These guys use cel vinyl which is acrylic based but I've also seen the same effect with tempera which a lot of Japanese studios like Ghibli use. Unfortunately most tempera sold in America is junk.