Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Working with lots of colour lately. Here's an album of some things I've done/am doing.

https://imgur.com/a/jtszs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

I like it :)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Decided to use an old phone book instead of buying new sketchbooks. The paper is terrible for pencils but takes pen and charcoal well.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

A couple things: as you probably know, newsprint isn’t archival so your pages are going to turn yellow, scan anything you care about now if you want to preserve it.

The second thing is, get some clear gesso! It gives great tooth to any surface. I wouldn’t use markers on the surface because it’ll chew up the felt tips instantly, but clear gesso on random paper makes a great ground for watercolor, pencil, pastel and ink.

I didn't know any of that, and have never used gesso! Thanks for the advice.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Have been working on this slowly. Not really sure where to place the figure, like do I want a scene or just a background of colour? I'm having trouble deciding. The reference I've used is against a plain white background.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Kanine posted:

my favorites are the ones that look like dicks

I found that once I started seeing dicks in one bit of work I would see dicks in all types of work! Just got a case of dick brain I guess.

InevitableCheese posted:

Been playing around with organic forms, does anyone have tips for cross-contour lines? I feel like I don’t know where to run them half the time.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but when I look at these I feel like they all look like 'slices' of something, the little bits of straight line shading you added don't follow the form, so the sides look flat instead of rounded.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Made a thing about nests and webs.

https://imgur.com/a/2CehP

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

My first attempt at a wood print on paper. Carved into thin MDF and then ink is rolled over the top of the carved MDF sheet, placed over the top of a piece of paper, and put through a rolling press. The building in the foreground has writing on it, but it hasn't come out that well in the print. You can kind of see it, but not very well. I am most happy with the thousands of dots I had put in to give it texture. I hand hammered every single one in using a small tool usually used for working with clay and sculptures. Process took about two days to do as I am currently dealing with cancer and my hands and arms are constantly sore and tired.

For a first effort it kind of blows my mind how well it turned out, and encourages me that I can be good in the field of art and my studies, and that I shouldn't be so worried about everything, and instead just enjoy my process and do it. I took a gamble of how the dots might turn out and it paid off really well for me. I often reach for the high rung and go super-detailed and complex in my designs, which can lead to me feeling overwhelmed and frustrated, but this encourages me as it does show that hard work and effort has real rewards. I look forward to doing so many more like this, as I really love print making.

Is this Yagan Square? We probably live in the same state.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Hi my name is Jizz Denouement. More than a decade ago I was pretty decent at oil paints, latex-based wood paints, and ceramics. I've dived back into painting after this long gap with acrylics because my significant other had a decent foundation of tools.

I am freaking terrible. Like, I can't even apply the paint from tube to palette to brush to canvas properly. Are there some good online resources or youtube series that provide a good introduction to painting with acrylics?

I can't think of any specific tutorials, but you could just look up 'acrylic painting beginners' or something like that. Just get the feel of it by doing some small projects.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Very interesting challenge, something to look into soon! The thank you screen at the end of a video feels like it would work well as a calendar, just a series of images next to their inverted colour counterpart.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

mudskipp posted:

I've painted a few versions of this scene, happiest with this one so far but I reckon the church needs something to make it seem less plain, create abit more texture somehow whilst still keeping it in the background.

When I look at it, it feels like the church blends in too much with the grass and the tombstones. In the thumbnail I see the shapes and colours of the rear tombstones blend together, as though they are part of the church wall. I think it's because most of the brush strokes are very smooth and go mostly in the same direction.

IMO, give the tree some more texture and tonal variation to differentiate it from the rest of the scene - it is a strong foreground figure which really towers over everything else. The front most tombstone could also benefit from some more texture as well, I think. In case you haven't tried, looking at it in black and white can let you see where the tones are similar, and where things are looking flat as a result of tone.

When I look at the B&W image, I get the sense that the tree blends in too much with the roof. Maybe try some highlights which are distinct from the greeny-blues which you have used. IMO I would try with something like a yellow or red - just very thin highlights near the edges of the branches and trunk.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Argue posted:

Did someone say watercolors??? I recently bought a simple pan set because I wanted to try doing travel sketching in color instead of B&W.

Some preliminary practice I did from photos I took (all pieces limited to 20-30 minutes):

Then a whole bunch of actual plein air from my trip to Singapore.

I feel like painting it live rather than from photos poses significantly different challenges to my sensibilities, even accounting for how drawing from life is different from drawing from a flat image.

Ahh these are so great, I love the lights over the water!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I am a super novice painter and I am having some issues with perspective that I can't seem to work through on my own. I started this painting of a sunset with a sort of villa and I wanted to have a road going horizontal across the landscape. I've tried putting it in a few different ways and it always ends up looking like I'm looking down on the road from above as opposed to straight on. I'd love any advice folks have on this particular issue I'm having or more generally a good resource for learning about perspective.

Are you painting from a reference? Even if you are you might be able to add some small detail that enhances the perspective. Look at these, I assume this is what you mean by 'a road across the landscape' - Some roads do actually look like a flat block, especially if they are at the horizon line, but something like a small fence on one side or lane markers on the road make the perspective clearer. Anything you can think of like small stones or plants on or around the road help to give a reference for the eye.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Using a new set of alcohol markers.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

haven't used soft pastel in a very long time. It was more chalky than I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

databasic posted:

This is lovely! What kinds of pastels did you use? How long did it take? Did you use regular paper or pastel paper?

Thanks! I used these on 110gsm cartridge paper, which is apparently suitable for pastels https://theartshop.com.au/products/mungyo-soft-pastel-set-32-half-sticks

Figuring out the proportions of the pose took a lot longer than colouring everything. Hard to say.