Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whew! Took me a while to scroll through this entire thread but drat I gotta say there's a whole lotta talented people ITT. Especially loved everything by Friends Are Evil, Zoben, and sigma 6 :)

Earlier this summer, I bought an airbrush for painting my Warhammer miniatures. It's cool and fun, but I just really enjoy using the brush itself and now I want to explore painting in general. Didn't see a whole lot of airbrush submissions but I'm hoping you folks could give me a little direction with getting started. I've been looking at easels online, but like what should I buy in terms of canvas? Can I just use 8.5x11 printer paper since airbrush isn't a "wet" medium? I'm adapting my minis painting station, so I'm just looking to keep it relatively small scale for now.

Are there any sort of "must haves" in terms of stencil kits? I was looking over a local art supplier (Hyatts - they seem to have a large web presence, but I don't know if they're actually well known :v:) and all they seem to have for stencil kits are like, really specialized shapes - skulls, flames, mayan kind of stuff etc.

Any youtube channel recommendations? I'd love to find like a "The Bob Ross of Airbrushing" kinda channel. I've watched a variety of videos but haven't really settled on any I especially enjoy watching / listening to.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Thanks! Acetate sounds cheap and easy, I might just go that route. Paint wise, I'd be reusing the acrylics for my minis (Vallejo, Games Workshop, and Liquitex)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 9, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

edit; I lied, it's Createx. I always mix those 2 up :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just bought some cheapo chinese Master brand stuff to see if I even enjoyed it for Warhammer's sake. It'll be a while before I upgrade, but I figured I'd go with Iwata next.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've used it for my minis plenty :)

But going from doing that to canvas work is a completely different animal obviously :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know really where to ask this but kind of a newbie question, does anyone have any suggestions for like baby's first art? like, just google youtube "how do I make art" or does anyone have any more specialized recs?

https://drawabox.com/

I'm no artist, I just like to look at talented goons' submissions here but when I've tried to learn to draw I liked this website. Free lessons, and a pretty good youtube channel that explains a lot of the theory and talks about how to practice and things like that. They also have a subreddit (/r/ArtFundamentals) where you can submit photos of your 'homework' and get critique / feedback.

I've always felt like I had an aptitude for art/drawing, but man I have such a hard time putting in the effort because I absolutely hate/am disappointed with everything I draw. So hard to stay motivated practicing.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 15, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, the first few lessons of "Draw a million lines / boxes / circles" before you get to "Draw an Actual Thing" was definitely a point of contention I had last time I said, "Hey I should give this a shot" :v:

And I'm sure that whole, "God this sucks why am I even trying" thing is common with all creative pursuits. I definitely struggled with it with painting my Warhammer minis for a while, but I think it was easier to stick with that because simple washes can make even the shittiest paint job look decent, and no matter how bad your painting it'll still look cooler than the dweeb's unpainted minis across the table :smug:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 15, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a nice cat, minis painting buddy

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sitting Here posted:

I dropped some spoilers in those posts because I think goatse is slightly outside of the spirit of the NWS in the title of the thread. How do you guys feel about it?

I just lurk ITT but I appreciate it :barf:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Keetron posted:

Made myself cry sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erl9k01C2M

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

smallmouth posted:

These are really cool. The last one looks like an elephant’s snout.

silicone thrills posted:

Love these so much

The bottom one reminds me of an owl.

It's clearly ET with his head tilted to the side :colbert:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^You mean the Broodwich?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Incredible.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; ehh nevermind can kind of find some ideas online already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I bet you the goons in the Miniatures Painting Thread would know: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4054777