Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Is this the finished product? I'd rather it just be left as it is. I love the negative space and uncertain depth of the room.

It is. Thank you.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

winvirus posted:

I love this. :swoon:

Thanks so much!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Trying something a little different.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I need to buy some heavier paper. Ballpoints really beat up on the paper.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I really like these!

I have no idea what I'm doing.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A couple sketches in conte and a knife painting.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

im calling this one finished. i could spend a fair bit more time on the background but i think i've gotten out of this one what i wanted, time to get some new brushes and start on the next one!

This turned out well!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Knife painting in oil.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Those are really nice. I especially like the middle one.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

Feels like such a familiar sight.

Yeah, I probably should have titled it I am Protected.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Study from this morning.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

^^^ that's pretty rad!

Another study, this time with an underpainting. I plan to go over the apples with a gloss glaze after it dries.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

GentlemanBrofro posted:

I'm still a young artist who doesn't fully understand himself right now but recently I've been running into the problem of moving between different works and never quite finishing all of them but also learning that I need to improve on different fronts in order to finish them. My question is this: Are there strategies any of you guys use when you're working on artwork in terms of actually finishing them in a timely fashion? Or is this a problem of not being disciplined enough to keep all attention onto one work until you finish it?

You won't improve on those different fronts if you don't finish them. I don't always finish everything, because not everything is worth finishing, but I learn a lot more from the works that I do finish. Just finish it and move on to enjoying all you've learned for the next work to be even better.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

noice ^^^

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Freak Magnet posted:

Hi. I started to make an attempt at being an illustrator in October last year. I've been trying to improve every day since then. I thought I'd share my drawings. Pen, pencil on 150gm paper.

There's more if you want to see them. These are taken from my instagram.

Beautiful work. What is your IG?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Status Epilepticus posted:

pastel and novelty glasses

I like it!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Wonderful stuff! Do you have a tumblr or anything?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Back on the printmaking wagon

These are really cool and would make really neat playing cards.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I painted this longboard (found it on the street this past spring).

The white stands out from the mint green a bit better in person. Even so I probably could have added a little drop shadow to make it pop more... But it is too late now as I have coated it in epoxy! Acrylics and National Geographic (collage). The random black marks at the top are where the holes are going to be for the screws to attach the trucks.

Detail:

This is really cool.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I haven't ventured into the more expensive brands of oils yet. It's good to hear some recommendations. I have not been happy with Gamblin, and W&N are so so. But they're affordable, so it's what I've been working with.

Edit: although Gamblin Neo Megilp is great.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 5, 2017

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pick posted:

I hate to be the person who does this, but I hate hate hate hate hate Gamblin. It's like painting with soup.

Yeah, I've switched to buying W&N, which I’m still not crazy about. Has anyone tried Black brand oils?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pick posted:

I paint on Ampersand gessoboard. I'll be real, I despise canvas.

What don't you like about canvas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

I've also been doing some experiments with setting wood on fire, then printing it

These are really cool. The last one looks like an elephant’s snout.