Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

here is an oil painting i have in progress!!!!! wowzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
finished the painting!!! like a week ago, but i just took a picture of it last nite

atomicthumbs posted:

pretty happy with my first and second relief prints ever, respectively

Pursuit (1978) Redux by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

Uncontained Turbine Disc Failure by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

(first one is a woodcut, second one's a linocut)

these are, indeed, dope!!!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

more paintings in progress/done!!! whoa

i like your books and stamps pixel baron!!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
These are hella nice!! Are they from life or from photos

Saddamnit posted:

Some paintings I've finished in the last few months:

The first three are in acrylic. The last one is my first attempt at oils.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

here's a van gogh study i drew cartoon animals into. (wip)

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

snucks posted:

This is to gaze into the mouth of madness.

First ever oil painting. It was a good learning exercise, gonna try to set up a shadowbox, decent lighting, and focus more on actually comparing colors/dimensions next time to see where I can get. I let this thing dry for a month and give it a final oil coat, right?

snucks i like your painting!!! did the job dog book ever come out?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

I've been inking with nibs lately! I have also colored this but since i did not do so traditionally it is worth nothing in this thread

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Who makes the best brown pink? I've only ever gotten it from gamblin

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

a hole-y ghost posted:

What is brown pink suited for? I've never used it

anywhere from brown to pink, baby

honest answer its a very good, unconventional seeming but very natural for flesh tones, OR earth tones! it used to be made of berries, and maybe still is sometimes, somewhere.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
what i have been doing is just painting over existing paintings of mine until i get one i'm satisfied with, which will hopefully give them additional value when they are x-ray laser scanned in......1000 YEARS

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

Painted this in gouache and acrylic on illustration board:

This is a very sweet thing

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Here ees a painting i did

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

outtake shmouttake, this one is really good!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

Nice Krampus tho.

the paint really deepened this!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
thread i'm looking to get some goache, what are your favorite colors of it. I'm looking to get a good rich purple and a warm, orangey yellow. Also any offbeat greens or primaries or whatever else you'd recommend

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

Hi it’s me again your gouache friend. Here are the colors I use fwiw:

Cool red: Quinacridone magenta or Alizarin crimson
Warm red: Cadmium red deep
Cool yellow: lemon yellow
Warm yellow: cadmium yellow light
Cool blue: Phthalo blue or cerulean blue
Warm blue: Ultramarine
Black
White
Burnt sienna
Burnt umber

Cadmium yellow and red make the most orangey orange. Rich purple from ultramarine and quin. magenta/alizarin. Look up Stephen Quiller’s books on water media and color mixing and you’ll learn almost everything you need to know about mixing the hue you want. In watercolors I also have some secondary colors like sap green and cadmium orange and quin. violet, but watercolor and gouache have different properties so getting an intense watercolor purple requires a dedicated paint in my experience.

Thank you noodle! I'm looking forward to reading the Quiller books, I could use some G.D. academic color theory

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
cross post from Other Places Online....finally got some GD gouache

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does anyone have experience exhibiting art in gallery spaces? I'm starting to submit to places and was curious about some of the details of that world, mainly in terms of gallery fees and pricing your own work. Like what is a reasonable fee to pay for a membership if you're just starting, are there "starter" galleries? How much/or little of my work should I expect to move early on and how does that factor into what I sell it for? Hell, how many paintings do successful artists move per month or per year? If any of y'all have answers to this or more advice it would be greatly appreciated

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Two paintings this month! The picture washed out the colors blehhh but you all knew that, yall know that happens

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Franchescanado posted:

Acrylic on 16" × 20" canvas

badass!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Fourth'd on the video, looking forward....to more!

Here, now, are some backgrounds I've been working on for a short I'm making in my free time

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
im getting some money to paint an image on a car hood whivh is something ive not done before! i want to do it sort of like a reduction print, i have four colors i want to "stencil" on to the car...dpes anyone have suggestions for what a good material to create a stencil like that is

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zoben posted:

Thanks! Oddly enough though, I'm kind of in the "realism is boring" camp these days, as I did realism a lot when I was 18-24 and that was a long time ago so I've developed my style into something that's more interesting to me. Nothing wrong with people doing realistic art, as you have to utilize a very advanced level of technique and skill, but I like to see brushstrokes and more stylistic flourishes instead of something that looks just like a photo.

That being said, I think that most artists should learn solid and realistic techniques first before delving into stylistic approaches. When I was a teacher, I was always annoyed by students who were so influenced by anime and made all of their drawings in a cute anime style, it was super loving annoying. An exercise where they were supposed to reproduce Da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man" with graphite as well as they could (the curriculum was pretty sucky and I had to re-write a lot of it in my own time, yay) resulted in a lot of super kawaii huge anime eyes and ridiculous tiny noses and mouths. I tried to impart to them that while I have a personal distaste for anime/manga, the best artists in that genre (and any genre) learned how to do life drawing and studied anatomy before they moved on to stylization. Then I killed them all with a shotgun lmao

i think it shows in this work even though it's a very detailed depiction. It's obviously not a photorealist thing, it's an accurate deptiction with stylization.

Realism feels more like an ethic to me than an aesthetic to me. imo.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I like keeping the paint very wet and active, I get more variation out of it it think, and the lines (read: from differentiation) you define while you do it you have to define constantly so it makes them both stronger and looser. I i use goache mostly though and it has been a while since I used straight watercolor. But like with anything there's one million techs and ways to try it so go the hell crazy. with paint and so to speak.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Some observation from lately!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zoben posted:

This fuckin' thing is done

Profound.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Any tips or tricks for removing crusty old caps from old, full tubes of oil paint?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

que sera sera posted:

pliers work every time in my experience

The wrench worked. I used the wrench.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Just using a warm and cool color to paint is a lot of fun and you'd be surprised at the range you can get. Primary red and ultramarine is great, viridian and vermillion.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Very recent painting! Doing a lot of life drawing lately which is making me want to play around with the figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I tend to go relatively heavy on the thinner/medium, At the least I want the painting to be a little sticky the whole time I'm working on it even if it does not always pan out that way. I haven't been able to in a while, but treating a piece of wood with some thinner/spirits and some paint gives me great results. The paint kinda glides.

And what's everyone's favorite stuff for this? I like the holbein mediums and oils the best I think, I like linseed or safflower oil but in a pinch I'll use sunflower oil from the grocery store. I doubt this last part is doing my paintings any favors tho.