Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is the first piece of art I've ever posted online that got a sizable reaction, I posted it on reddit yesterday and it got almost 1000 upvotes :unsmith:

In 2020 I drew this as as a gift for someone who broke up with me the day before I was going to give it to them. Almost everything about it is a homage to something that was important to them so I just kept it and hated it for a while and then recently have been looking at again and thought it was cool

12"x16", mostly colored pencil but the clouds and outlines are acrylic pen

I posted it once before in this thread when I was working on it but it was a very bad photo with terrible lighting and I didn't like it at the time

That's a rough origin story for something lovely -- glad you get to see it in a new light!

Design down on lino and I hope to actually cut it this weekend since it's been like 5 months since the last one. This is Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the godmother of rock and the electric guitar:

This is once again from a photo, this time modified to make it work for a monochrome print. Or at least the print that I feel like I can do -- couldn't find a shading/hatching approach I thought I could pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Finished my first painting today. Oils using the Draw Mix Paint method, not sure if anyone has tried it before. I've never really done art before, so pretty surprised by the results I guess.

Hot dang :stare:

Claeaus posted:

drat, that's really nice for a first painting!

I'm deciding that I'm finished with this now:

Wanna play this level and/or watch the movie.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Late night proof of the Sister Rosetta block:

I don't think I have much detailing left to do but the printing itself is still giving me hives.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Crain posted:

Tried my hand at acrylics for the first time in awhile.

I went to a pop-up Van Gogh exhibit (it wasn't worth it) and my girlfriend wanted a poster of the Almond Blossoms, but the place only had Starry Night posters. So I tried my hand at making one:

I also made another because I wanted to play with the gold leaf some more and enjoyed trying to paint my plants.

Let me know what you think.

That's both very nice of you and really well-executed! Immediately made me think of of ukiyo-e cherry blossom prints and as it turns out, Van Gogh was indeed inspired by them.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thread finally delivering on its nws tag!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

I may need to try this to get a wider variety of fragments.

Crossposted from the Draw Every Day thread:

Not really a daily drawing as more practice with the laser burner.
Design by Eli Quinn

One more by Mr. Quinn. This one was a bitch because the settings for cardboard as so much more sensitive than wood. 1 % can make the difference between engraving vs. cutting. Must have made at least 8 trying to get settings right.

A bit of thread necromancy, but I'm about to take a class in laser cutting/burning and these posts popped into my head, so I have a question about this one for either sigma 6 or Zoben:

Since you guys collaborated on this, was Zoben's original drawing provided as a bitmap or vector? Or better said: if it was a bitmap, how was it converted to a vector file? I'll be using LightBurn and its vector trace function seems way easier than futzing around in Inkscape (which worked even if it's a bit of a pain), but thought I'd check whether there's a third option I missed.

I'll be using the laser to cut some acrylic for an unrelated project, but I do have some of my own prints I would love to eventually scan/vectorize/burn.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

It was a bitmap. I can easily trace it to vector but I kept it bitmap for the tiger. The other I think I traced in lightburn. Yes - it rocks and yes it is easier to use than most others. Definitely better than inkscape IMO but inkscape is free. Yeah - the second was traced and then I used a very low line interval to get an almost solid fill. Took forever. Vectors can take a surprisingly long time to burn depending on settings so I usually default to raster depending on the project. If it is very high contrast or line work based then vector is great. Otherwise use jarvis dithering for realism or maybe grayscale but I have never gotten good results out of grayscale dithering. You need a low wattage to get best results. Like 40 watts or something. Regardless, slow and low is best for engraving. Too slow and you may burn your material however.

Excellent! Thanks for the details, I think they'll be very helpful :tipshat:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! That's encouraging to know, since my own process is very much analog right up to the point if/when I scan the final linocut print.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

The holiday market circuit was good to me this year

Time to learn engraving

Goddamn

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've only seen those painted on by hand, but if that's not working out, you might try asking in the restoration thread.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

My first market of the year is coming up in two weeks (and two weeks after that, and two weeks after that, and a week after that...), so I've started production of some new stuff. The headline? Using the etching press for the first time and ohmygoditmakesthingsomucheasier I've never had such a big area of solid ink come out so smooth

Edit

https://i.imgur.com/HLvdJyU.mp4

The print is wonderful and I want to steal your press.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

silicone thrills posted:

Also did a lil print block for the first time in like 5 years. This is just test print one off an ink pad. Lost my brayer somehow so i am waiting on an order from blick for printing supplies. Considering doing some print runs again.

The painting is great, but I'm a sucker for stark lino prints :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Keetron posted:

So now I have all these loose leaf things lying around. Normally I work in sketchbooks and those are stored nicely but what the hell to do with all those leafs? How do other dirty hand goons do this?

I use "presentation books" like these for my lino prints:

https://www.jerrysartarama.com/go-see-presentation-books

GoSee and Itoya are the brands I see the most in stores but I'm sure there are hundreds of others.