Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'll share two pieces from my new series, which is called "Frosted Glass"

I'm working with a professor who did a research project about women who were addicted to crystal meth, the interviews took place at a recovery program. The interviewee for my transcriptions was addicted to meth for 20 years and was 11 years sober at the time of the interviews. I'm working with this professor for 12 weeks and she wants me to do a piece each week and we're hoping to get an exhibition together combining my art, her art, and the art of a third student at another university. It's exciting because I work three jobs (including this one), and am a grad student so art kind of gets put on the back burner most of the time. Because I have to do one piece a week with all this, I can't really dedicate a huge amount of time but I'm pleased with the results so far.

"Frosted Glass" is a mixed media series based on the transcriptions of three interviews with a recovered meth addict regarding her long battle with addiction. Three interviews were reviewed to create the pieces involved, and there is a mix of style to relate to both times of lucidity and times of anguish and struggle in the interviewees life.

"Frosted Glass" is ongoing.

"Mother"
18”x24”, watercolour and ink on paper
This is the first piece of my “Frosted Glass” series, and focuses on the interviewees life as a mother. She spoke of how she tried to keep her addiction away from her children and one method of this was by spending money on toys to keep them busy while she was using crystal meth. I began to reflect on what the norm and ideal is of mothers, and immediately I thought of the Madonna. She is representative of pure love, and I drew connections between how the interviewees children might have thought of her when getting luxurious gifts, and juxtaposed that ideal with the reality. In many classical depictions, the Madonna has an elongated waist, which I chose to connect with the dramatic weight loss the interviewee experienced, as she stated her doctor’s showed much concern for her health due to how underweight she had been after admitting herself to a recovery program.

DOGBITE

18”x24”
Ink and watercolour on paper

This piece does not focus on the interviewee, but instead on someone she knew. The interviewee spoke of hearing about a friends death on the news. He had stolen a car and was pursued by the police, including a K-9 unit. The acquaintance of the interviewee shot the police dog, and was shot by the police after. The dog lived, but the suspect died. I had this clear image in my head of the adrenaline of the entire situation; the two animals with one of the most basic instincts: fight or flight. One had the duty to fight, the other was attempting flight but wound up fighting. The man was like a cornered animal and was lashing out, just like the dog. I couldn’t help but begin to equate the two and their primal impulses.

A side note on the second, I was having trouble getting "in" to it. I wanted so badly to try and convey a raw feeling of the dog/persons aggression. I kind of went along and then remembered a song I used to listen to when running: Becoming Insane by Infected Mushroom. I put on my headphones, cranked the volume and holy poo poo. My mind. The music just reonated in me so much, the guitar, the bass...I felt a huge rush, the most exhilarated I have felt in a long, long time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kipooHI1NGc

Not sure if it's kosher or not but I'll be posting each piece on my tumblr..http://trespois.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU