Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Shnooks posted:

I have a dumb question for you traditionalists here. I can't seem to get over the fact that now that I've graduated from art school there's no point in making any work because it'll sit in my closet and nobody will even look at it or appreciate it. What do you do with all the work you make? The stuff nobody sees and sits in your tupperware under the bed. If galleries wont take it, where do you put it?

Sell it! Try Etsy, eBay, Craigslist, dA, show your poo poo around on websites and find interested parties. If you genuinely cannot sell it, keep it till later, it may surprise you when you flog it off later. Also if you can bear it, start making art of easily sellable things, e.g. stuff you could tote to conventions and sell, sell to enthusiasts etc. E.g. a lovely sketch of a Daschund I did years ago sold on eBay for £50 to a lady who owns the breed, can't sniff at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

Hey thanks! I like your sculpey, the face has a lot of personality and character.

Quick question for anyone who sells paintings here, what would you charge for a watercolor portrait like this? The paintings themselves are usually around 5" x 5" with some variation, and I include free matting, so the final work ends up being 8" x 8".

I have been charging friends and family a cheap rate so far, but I am trying to expand my business.

A solid base is always to work out an hourly rate. Keep close track of your hours spent on a typical piece. If you're building a portfolio start at min wage, or you may have to go lower if you're a slow worker (you can speed up with practice on the same time on work). Check out what other people in your area and online are charging for a similar quality of work too and you may be able to bump the price up more than you think.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Gorgeous! So left handers (at least the ones I know, incl. me) have a thing where they can't help but get the smear on the side of their hand and it makes a weird muddy blur appearance when using pencils and charcoal. Are you left or right handed? How do you not smear everything everywhere? (sorry for all the questions)

I'm right handed but I still keep a sheet of tracing paper between my hand and the drawing all the time when I work in graphite, I'd assume it works just as well for lefties.