Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Friends Are Evil posted:

Lately, I've been really into Francis Bacon, Goya, and a little bit of William Blake.

Yeah, I've been getting huge Goya vibes from your stuff since you've been posting them. The only sort of complaint I can make about them is that sometimes your non-ghoulish faces seem stylistically out-of-place. Like this one:

With that said, though, I'm getting a huge hankering to bring my inks back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think I'm digging this relief printing thing. This time with real, albeit cheap, wood. I was planning on going all white on the background, but now I dunno.

I might start looking into getting some real wood and tools.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm taking part in a group exhibition based on Twin Peaks in August. Here's one piece I'm working on for it, featuring Killer BOB.

How big is your stuff, usually?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Usually, my work's not that big. This one's about 10 by 14, and I usually don't work much bigger.

I find it easier to focus when I do smaller pieces.

10x14 is pretty big for ink work (imho, at least)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

What kind of paper do you recommend for acrylics? I use heavy, rough watercolor paper for watercolors but I find when using acrylics I can't build up layers. I think it's because the paper is absorbing the paint and causing it to blend instead of layer.

This is really thirsty paper. I have about 20 seconds to do wet-in-wet before it's bone dry.

Could you put some gesso down, or is what you're going for need the paper absorption? Either that or use hot press; you'll lose the texture but I think it's supposed to be less absorbing.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

al-azad posted:

These guys use cel vinyl which is acrylic based but I've also seen the same effect with tempera which a lot of Japanese studios like Ghibli use. Unfortunately most tempera sold in America is junk.

What we generally call "tempera" here in the states isn't really the classically-known tempera. If you want the real stuff, look for egg tempera.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My fencing club holds a yearly fundraising auction, and, as usual, I'm doing for it. Since I've never done painting for real (and because I hate myself), I decided now would be a good time to give it a try. So I've been working on this today

Acrylic on canvas, 18x24

It's a little less intense in real life (and the greys are less red), but the pic gets the point across. I don't think it's terrible for what's really a first try, but it's not really sale quality, and I'm not quite sure where to go with it, particularly with the glove. I guess I should really force the shading, but should I use the same blue?

I kinda want to make this a series with the two other weapons with different colors (thinking a magenta-ish red, and maybe the green from the image below, or a golden yellow).

I'm also playing around with this. I like the basic idea better but, again, I'm stumped on where to go. I want to do a dark shadow/motion thing following the figure, and maybe some piping on the figure, but I am a little fond of the stencil quality as it is.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

More work on my fencing series, now an actual series. The saber painting (far right) is still WIP, foil (middle) is pretty much done (just need to clean up that halo), and epee is somewhere between.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Your art is some of my favorite in this thread, and as someone whose never touched ink and hasn't drawn anything in like 10 years, I just wanted to let you know that you've inspired me to give it a try. This is probably a long shot, but are there any books / sites / tutorials you recommend for testing the water with ink and the associated techniques? I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Rendering in Pen and Ink is, I think, the gold standard book for line work. It doesn't cover washes, though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

We had a 12 year old fencer model.

It was really funny watching people struggle to draw somebody under the age of 20, you really have to recalibrate your sense of proportion, especially in the face. The apparent ages in people's drawings varied from 15ish in mine to something like a 60 year old viking woman. People also had trouble drawing a slender frame underneath a bulky fencing suit, there were a couple of drawings that made her body look like a WH40K space marine.

Everyone looks like a space marine in all the gear, even if you're only as big as a toothpick. So she was just wearing the knickers?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

the posted:

How do you price your artwork?

This isn't a full-time job for me, and I'm not established at all. I was thinking of something like "cost of materials + 50%," but I didn't know if there was a more specific way people do it. Thanks.

Unfortunately, I think the answer is "how ever much you can get for it." If it's a contract piece for something like a magazine, poster, band, whatever, there are market rates and there are books that list them. If it's something you did on your own and want to sell, well... you might want to look around to see what other local artists are charging. Around me a lot of restaurants and bars host local artists selling works; you might be able to get some prices from something like that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

What kind of ink and pen do you use? Whenever I draw with india ink through a crowquill pen, it ends up running when I apply watercolor.

I've heard lots of love for acrylic inks, but my favorite is this stuff

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone here have experience with monoprinting and dry point? I want to get back into making prints but I have to use whatever is safe and available at home (no more nice presses and spray boxes for me :( ). I saw some people discussing plexiglass dry point which seemed pretty rad, and then I was thinking of doing some painting directly onto glass.

I have experience with screen printing and lithography, but I got some Q's:

I don't recall ever soaking my paper for lithography, but it looks like you have to for dry point, right?

As far as inks go, is there some type I'm supposed to use? I remember we had some pretty thick inks for lithography and we would add a solvent to it to make it thinner, but gently caress if I remember what it was. For screenprinting I mostly used textile pigments and thickened dyes, so thats not much help. Can I use regular acrylics or gouache or something?

I haven't done monoprinting but I'd imagine plain old acrylics might dry too fast on you unadulterated (although there are extenders, right?) But, yeah, any intaglio process needs damp paper to help suck the ink out of the grooves.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

DEO3 posted:

"Adrift"
18x14 on Clayboard
Photo Credit: Kurt Arrigo

How'd you get the background color?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

It's just a fact that most art supplies will probably kill you if it gets in your blood stream. Between Lead, Cadmium, Chromium, Cobalt, hell Holbein even still has Mercury in their artist grade vermillion red, etc, theres plenty of stuff that is potentially harmful. But you should be okay if you use common sense.

It should be noted that while this may be true for very serious artist paints, the tube of liquitex cadmium yellow acrylic you bought at Michael's doesn't actually have cadmium in it (I checked).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Pelikan drawing ink is/was my go-to. Works well on everything, including clayboard.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

x-posting from the daily thread since I try to make a thing from the idea. Variations on a theme (with varying degrees of success), looking towards block printing with two colors, or print on top of paint. I need to do something with the red one.

Embrace the temptation to paint the assets for your next game. Especially if it's about this guy.

The self-taught thread might have some things for you, but you're doing pretty good already. Def better than I can paint.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I used to use those blue animation pencils when doing pen stuff. You have to worry about not indenting the paper, but the line is light and disappears easy without needing to erase.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

poemdexter posted:

How did you get those reds to go on so well? I find reds, greens, and purples go on like watercolor and take like 3 coats before it's a solid color. With my inconsistent brush strokes and amount of paint on the brush, I always end up with a textured look instead of smooth reds like you have on the arms.

That may be a pigment thing to a degree, some pigments go on more opaque than others, even among the same general color. Liquitex bottles tend to say how opaque the color is, don't know about other brands.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

pr0k posted:

First ever attempt to paint anything. "Yin and Yang" oil on canvas.

Let me have it. :/

I'll leave technique issues to those that know about it, but the composition is kind of a mess. That strong horizontal line isn't really doing anything other than making it look like the canvas ends there. The branches, meanwhile, don't really do anything; having them merge or end near that horizontal line enforces that sense of the canvas ending, there's not much in the way of interesting forms, and there's no balance to speak of on the left piece. The one on the right is closest to doing something interesting, but the only vibe I'm getting from it is "pouring out a can of coke".

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Double post.

Finished another piece.

"Eat poo poo". 18" x 24". Acrylic on canvas

The stupid camera on my phone can't capture how vibrant this piece is.

If that blue's what I think it is it's a fantastic color

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

dog nougat posted:

It's more green in real life. It's a mixture of pthalo blue (green) with some hansa yellow and titanium white to give you an idea of the tone. It's a beautiful teal color.

Haha, yeah I guessed wrong. Liquitex has a bottle blue that looks just about like that in the picture and it's probably my favorite color ever (and I don't even really paint).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wasn't there a guy who took kids' drawings and turned them into 3D sculptures?

I don't know about sculptures, but there's Tiny Art Director, one of the best things ever

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm not resolving to do more drawing this year, but I am resolving to take more of what I do draw beyond the sketchbook

I might be closer to building that bottle jack press than I thought I was...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Back on the printmaking wagon

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

smallmouth posted:

These are really cool and would make really neat playing cards.

In that vein, I've been thinking I should tackle tarot cards as a theme.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Still on a printing roll. Found some old drawings that were calling out for the treatment. Inching ever closer to building that bottle jack press.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah, those are legit. Welcome to the club.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Time for my annual "no really, THIS time I'm going to get into painting"

Nevermind that I ended up doing the detail in ink

What do I need to get quality pics? I've got the camera, but what about lighting?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trying something new out

Looking at some wood carvings at an exhibit, my wife foolishly says to me "why don't you try that?" I wasn't sure my block printing tools were up for hardwood, but after a sharpening they've been champs (if maybe a little small for blocking out)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

I really need to work on my printing. The brayer-and-spoon technique sorta worked, but I really wish I could find a decent press for a price that won't make my eyes water.

Time to build a jack press!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

Yup, you're right. I tried going the "simple" way and building one powered by a caulking gun, but the resulting print was terrible. I'm pretty confident I built it well enough, so either the gun I was using was somehow bad, or the plywood was warped as hell.

Harbor Freight sells a thing that is almost there. I just need to figure out a good way to mount the plates (and pray that the pig iron their tools use doesn't fold like an accordion).

I'd wager a caulking gun doesn't need you near enough pressure for anything more than rubber stamp size. The harbor freight thing looks interesting, but I'd be worried about supporting the bottom plate since it doesn't look like you have much room to play with (fwiw I have not yet built a jack stand, so I could be talking out of my rear end)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

First wood carving project done, the poo poo is fun will carve again

Maybe I'll try to get an inktober in right under deadline...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

tfw you realize that you don't actually know how the head works and what you thought you knew is just a decade-long iconographic lie you told yourself

No really, though, it's fun

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

:hfive:

Bottlejack press on hold due to new, more expensive medium

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

Is that walnut? Because that would indeed be expensive!

Small piece, fortunately

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Smoothing is like inking a graphite drawing: all your crimes are revealed

I'm uncertain about what to do with the background. I had been planning on smoothing, but keeping to give some grounding since the head doesn't go all the way back, but I'm concerned that the figure gets lost in it? But maybe that'll be mitigated when it's fully smooth.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If you're on the daily drawing thread you've seen these already, but I'm getting out the paints again to work on some ideas I've been doodling. Maybe with the intention of getting them out into the wild somehow

Trying out working on wood instead of canvas or my usual illustration board. The last two pieces were experiments with clear gesso in hope that the wood grain would show and be an interesting part of the piece itself; but between the light grain basswood and clear gesso not being completely clear, it gets washed out. There are other things I could try, but I may just stick with white gesso since it makes the whole working experience a bit easier.

Getting a nice solid background is still my boogeyman, but paint markers have been a blessing for the line work (even if it feels like cheating)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jack Daniels posted:

these are sweet. the gold paint one esp. fun.
i love wood panel....

what paint markers you use mate?

Uni posca, though I haven’t yet tried any color other plan black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Handen posted:

I ordered some Speedball fluorescent neon inks and a pewter to add to my mostly Schmincke linocut ink collection, as well as three additional Pfeil cutters to pad out the kinds of marks I can make.

The bright oxidization teal colour is a mix of neon blue and yellow, plus white, and the darker green/yellow is infused with the aforementioned pewter. That layer has a metallic sheen to it that can only be appreciated in person as you change your viewpoint around it, kind of like you would those old holograms from the '80s. This is my first print that I experimented with blending between two colours on nearly every layer to give them all a sort of subtle gradient, although in this photo the gradient is too subtle for the teal and white layers, where the gradients go from green-ish teal to blue-ish teal, and off-white to a slightly more yellow off-white.

This turned out a 100% success rate for an edition of 10 at 7.5x7.5cm each, on BFK Rives.

How metallic is the pewter? I've tried using the speedball gold but I couldn't get it to sparkle on the paper.