Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Boyfriend's birthday yesterday. Thanks to a mod-challenge in LP giving me ideas, he walked in to find this:

We play chess variants in style in this house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Sadly, no, I couldn't source a good hat for it. It's Shuuro, which is basically chess with points-bought armies rather than fixed, and options for 4-player.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Nah, it looks pretty good from here - the colours are really popping, and the basic framing is interesting. Everything else is detail work which you can add to later. Shrink it to 1"x2" and you can see how well the basic idea works.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
First attempt at screen printing:

I think I needed to thin the dye before use. Still, dirt-cheap top, and it's not horrible as a prototype.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Personally, i'm all about keeping it varied - i'm not worried about improvement so much as keeping motivated, so I tend to come up with a "problem" and enjoy puzzling out how to solve it. Eg, how do I print my own t-shirts, how do I cast a resin chess set. My stuff is heavily towards the craft end of things, but I reckon the same would apply to anything - variety in order to keep motivated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm finding it really hard to parse - is it an oil rig? The palette is good, but otherwise I'm not too keen on it.