Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tardigrade posted:

Anyone have experience with water-soluble coloring pencils? I recently splurged on a bunch of materials and picked up a box of Prismacolors since I've never tried using them before. Anything they do particularly well?

Yeah, get a water brush. They're awesome for using in museums that have a no-paints policy in the galleries. It looks like you're drawing with pencils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Couple of dumb ink drawings.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hellbeard posted:

Hell yeah! These rule! The space ships could stand to be a bit harder edged but the narrative of these is cool.

Thanks! I'm really trying to improve my rendering with ink. I have a decent grasp of value when I use charcoal or graphite, but I struggle with crosshatching and texturing when I only have a pure black.

I saw the original of this drawing by Karl Stevens up close. It's mindblowing - the online reproduction doesn't do it justice.
http://thephoenix.com/Boston/life/133405-subtle-thief-of-youth/
I'm enthralled with how deliberate he is with his lines. My approach has usually been more like making random scratches, and relying on the overall density to reach the right value level.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 9, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

First time life drawing in several years, feeling rusty.

NWS:

I never really know what to do for the backgrounds.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 14, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

AltruisticNemesis posted:

Gorgeous! So left handers (at least the ones I know, incl. me) have a thing where they can't help but get the smear on the side of their hand and it makes a weird muddy blur appearance when using pencils and charcoal. Are you left or right handed? How do you not smear everything everywhere? (sorry for all the questions)

Thanks! I'm a lefty. Some smudging always happens, but I think I've mostly conditioned myself to keep my hand off the paper when I'm drawing, or if I do have to touch, I keep my hand fixed in place and don't drag it around. I picked up careful habits from working with india ink, it's kind of crushing to labor over some intricate crosshatched drawing for hours then ruin it with a big smear from wet ink on your hand.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Speaking of ink, does anyone have any recommendations for a good inkwell? I like Speedball india ink, but the little plastic bottles are kind of flimsy and tend to leak.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Carotid posted:

Finally started taking formal watercolor classes, here's the result of class 1:

Hooray pear. I realized today that I have never painted a still life, and hoo boy you learn soooo much faster when you're painting what's in front of you. Can't wait to see how I progress over the next few weeks.

Yeah, isn't it fun? You'll use watercolors for years and the medium will still surprise you, but the initial jump from making smudgy blobs to having the control to render images is always exciting. You have a great start! Post more paintings as you go.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

We had a 12 year old fencer model.

It was really funny watching people struggle to draw somebody under the age of 20, you really have to recalibrate your sense of proportion, especially in the face. The apparent ages in people's drawings varied from 15ish in mine to something like a 60 year old viking woman. People also had trouble drawing a slender frame underneath a bulky fencing suit, there were a couple of drawings that made her body look like a WH40K space marine.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, it was about 90 degrees in the studio. She was an excellent model for being so young.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Carotid posted:

I painted this still life on Monday:

Nice rendering of highlights, and I like the bold colors. That's my problem with watercolors, I'm too timid with them and I want to build up value and saturation with lots of gradual layers. It sometimes works well, but sometimes I end up with bland, muddy mess.

Here are some 15 minute poses from the other day. Short poses are hard for me. If I have a couple of hours, I can push and pull at my sketch until it looks right, but getting it close enough in a couple of minutes and putting down the right marks to express the form is a skill I'm still working on.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I was feeling pretty good about my figure drawing until the next session, where instead of a lean, bony, sinewy man, we had a 26 year old burlesque dancer modeling. I struggled with this for the whole session, I feel lost if I can't cue my proportions off of protruding ribs. :saddowns:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Billy Shears posted:

I have difficulties with sitting poses like this and tend to fail horribly. It's really tricky trying to keep them from looking "slouchy."

One thing that I find really useful is using box forms. With the box form you can tilt the top of the chest box back (the natural position). Following this tilt, the bottom end juts forward, which then allows you to really feel the bottom corners of the ribcage. I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I have Bridgeman's Life Drawing and that has some good examples. I've never really been able to use box forms successfully, though. I've been reading Anthony Apesos' book, which is like an anatomy book that teaches you only the parts of the body that matter for drawing. That seems to click with my brain better.

Here's what the instructor drew in the same amount of time:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Hipster Skeleton posted:

I like FW Ink bottles. It's acryllic ink that comes in a glass bottle. http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-fw-acrylic-water-resistant-artists-ink/ I've been reusing mine for years.

I think the best ink bottle I've found so far is one of those tiny size mason jars.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

Haven't posted on here for awhile. :P Here's an ink and watercolor fairy.

Looks fantastic! Do you ink before or after the watercoloring?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

What kind of ink and pen do you use? Whenever I draw with india ink through a crowquill pen, it ends up running when I apply watercolor.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Decided to not use charcoal for this one. I need some graphite sticks for blocking in large areas.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The model's dress looked like a Star Trek uniform, so I ran with it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My friend's guinea pig died, so I made her a card.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

From my weekly figure drawing session.

Nikoletta by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

Love how delicately you handled the wrinkles in the face. I always have so much trouble with them.

Edit: Here's another drawing of a hoverfly. I've kind of been blowing up this thread, I'm trying to be more productive lately.

Wow, the detailing in the hairs looks great!

Here are a couple of sketches from figure drawing sessions.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

neonnoodle posted:

I'm a fan of the two-stage long lead sharpener.

https://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Pencil-Sharpener-Pointer-AS2M/dp/B0084F7I1C

It's weird but it works well for artist pencils and seems to not waste as much pencil as some others I've tried. The downside is that it has to be emptied very frequently and it doesn't have a cap or cover to keep shavings from falling back out into your bag/pencil case. All my pencil cases are super gross because of uncovered sharpeners.

This is another one that has served me well, which does have a cap:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001E67Z16/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1475539240&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pencil+sharpener

Cool, I've been doing a lot of pencil drawing lately and I was getting fed up with my sharpener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Archer666 posted:

So I recently started taking drawing more seriously and have been drawing gestures for the past several days. Considering I don't know anyone who draws for a living, might as well ask the goons for any feedback regarding my work so far. Just note that I have absolutely zero drawing experience.

Quick feedback: try to draw your forms without using outlines. Try expressing them either as skeletons or discrete volumes stuck together. You're losing definition and depth when you rely on only exterior lines.