Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, so these are some relativaly recent pieces I did, studies all and all. I am posting the two best here, I have some other six I didn't post because I didn't think they were that good.

I did this in thick cardboard that I painted white with acrylic as a foundation. After that I simply painted with acrylics and a bit of gouache at a few points. Not too happy about these either, I need to get back to making studies like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hellbeard posted:

I love the looks of those jars but I don't know if I could display one in a way that does it justice. I imagine some kind of pharmacy cabinet or shelf would be nice for it.

Here's a sketch/sketches that's with some china black, the school nib and the mapping nib and F.C. Polychromos and some other stuff here and there.

Yeah eh, not to disrail anything but I see that and I immidiately think of this

I recomend working on that, the expressions and the morphology of the face are inconsistent between expressions. She kinda looks like a man in the top right too.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah so I did this, I have no idea why.

I am trying to make it sweet, but it came out dirty why

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So, I actually got some new pen inks and I wanted to try them out.

This is done with them, not terribly different from my normal ones, but I do like how they come out.

Its for a webcomic thing btw, gota draw the arsenal.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShrimpToast posted:

I really like the composition of this. Particularly, the way that the birds help to lead into the negative space on the left. Also, the slightly darker shading of the man helps to draw your attention directly to him. Just curious, what are the dimensions of this?

Αbout 35cm x 47cm it seems.

I resized it on photoshop, took the birds which I drew on a separate page and put them there.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Work in progress painting in acrylics

...its not going well...

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So, I took two random photos on the internetn and I painted them

This was the result

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a question for traditional artists: How do you practice making art? More specifically, I have been reading a thread about writing, and many people have been saying that you should write for at least 15 min every day for practice. So for traditional visual artists,what is the daily practice equivalent? Do you have different practices for creative work versus technical work?

Depending on the artist, the equivelent would be to get a sketchbook and whip it out a few times each day, everyday, and draw something interesting that you saw or came in your head.

Otherwise, it depends on the artist and the medium he works on. Certain artists practise from life only, others have tutorials, others copy other's works (for study purposes, not plagliarising) etc. Ask each indevidual how he does it and you will get a different answer.

So, how do I practise.

This is the kind of the work I mostly do. First of all, I always have a sketchbook in hand and a mechanical pencil in which I draw in. If anything passes through my head or I see something interesting, I sit down and draw it, depending on how much time I have.

After that, I do a couple inking exercises each day to warm me up. Don't want to get rusty on that.

Finally, for color, every few days I sit down and do a couple of acrylic or watercolor exercises in order not to forget how colors work.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I started 5 hours ago an I finally ended up on this.

The worst thing was the hands, but still, I guess it came out fine.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not sure if it counts, but I went ahead and fixed several points that was brought to my attention were off.

Face doesnt look like its giving the thousand yard stare now atleast.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Here's a quick self-portrait I tried to do from memory. Should have gotten a mirror if anything.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Doing some random architectural studies.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Right, I think its time I wind down to this.

Stoa Architectural Design:
I call it a Stoa but its actually a Byzantine (Eastern Roman Empire) Greek Orthodox Church that I repurposed as a barracks for military use. Its capable of sheltering forty to fifty (40-50) indeviduals, well supplied and works all year long.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hellbeard posted:

Not sure where to go with it. I'm considering bringing in the airbrush.

Yeha, I think you should airbursh it or do something similar, maybe try to make it look liked those 70s/80s sci-fi illustrators that look rad as hell.

Meanwhile, I am still working and reasearching concept art

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ok, so, I think I am finished with the gryphon concept art for now, drew the final seven heads here.

This is winding down and I am pleasured to see work being done.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Symbols and Artifacts used in the story I am doing.

Bottom left: The Third Eye of the Anthropos.

Top: The Final singal of Trypa

Right: Two sides of whats inside the Third Eye of the Anthropos

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I painted this without reference

idnwiad.jpg

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Goddamnit how do I prespective

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A new piece I did, called The Gryphon, done in about five days.

Drypoint on Zinc Plate with Aquatint.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
NSFW

NSFW
And for today, I decided to try and draw a naked soldier.

such chest

TheGreekOwl fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 21, 2015

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Continuing from where I left off,

Im still working on that comic btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

And this is that study I was talking about.

Herakles statue study, done in pens only (I dislike ink pens). I want to do this in a zinc/bronze intalgio etching tbh.