Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

You are making improvements in leaps and bounds! Im super impressed. Those leaves are so nice. and the space between the lemons

I wanted to make this a 3 color block with a blue background but i just couldnt get the ink to do what i wanted so i said gently caress it and just did a 2 color. My holiday cards for this year
linocut on totally the wrong paper - watercolor paper - with speedball ink which was probably the worst purchase ive ever made and ill never recover from the abuse and effort it took to keep it the right viscosity.

This linocut is deeply impressive, and it's an incredible idea for a holiday card. Well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

I got taught the no thinner method in college of use vegetable oil to pull away the last of the color (then wipe it again) and then wash it with some dawn in the sink. it will make your brushes last longer. Plus not having to gently caress with thinner as much. I do still use thinner on my bottom paint layer though for the whole lean to fat principle

Are you the type of art student who invests in expensive brushes and takes care of them, or the type who buys cheap brushes so they don't have to?

Right now I mostly use jersey rags and paper towels for the things I'm painting, but I have a ton of old brushes with dried-on paint (from stoner days of not cleaning them). I'm not sure how worth it it would be to spend hours cleaning them.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

silicone thrills posted:

I buy like mid tier princeton umbrias and such. And the no thinner method is like 5 minutes more than washing them out with thinner tbh. So my post painting clean up is like 10 minutes total of scraping my excess paint off the palette, rubbing paint off the bristles, smush into vegetable oil a bunch for a minute or two, rub that off the brushes, then the quick wash.

You might be able to just let the hosed up brushes sit in thinner over night then try some of like the masters cleaning paste sorta stuff after that. ive had that bring brushes back to life with not a ton of effort.

:3 thank you

Thank you for the tips! I only paint with acrylics, watercolors, and gouache because I'm a beginner and the hazmat quality of oils terrifies me, so I don't even own any thinner. I have some pink soap that said it was good for brushes, so maybe I'll let some of my brushes soak overnight in that once I find it.

Also, do you record any videos of your linocuts? There is a great deal of dimension to that card that I can't stop looking at. At first impression, I saw layers of dimension to the fir branches, birds, and backgrounds. After looking for a while, it looks like you managed to accomplish ALL of that with just two shades of ink?? And some carving?? I have not paid attention to lino block printing since I was like 8 years old in a local community arts class, but I would love to watch you work. Also, how long did it take you? Did you work from a photo reference? How much did it cost? Would you post a photo of the block itself? I don't currently have the supplies and I'm trying not to spend too much on new items, but between this linoleum cut and the one above with a sun and mountains (I have not checked whether you are the same artist but I audibly gasped at both prints), I am just overwhelmed with the need to create.

Do you sell the things you make? How do you price something like a block print? Is there a specific (affordable) kit you would advise to play around with a few prints?

Pardon my enthusiasm. I don't talk to other people, much less artists, very often. I am very interested in peoples' processes.

databasic fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 9, 2024

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
Assistance requested. The nebula/galaxy motif is something I've been slapping on any surface I can find (including a basement wall). All of them have layers of speckled stars in both white and glow-in-the-dark acrylic.

There is also a set of cornhole boards I bought for my wedding (now divorced, it felt like painting over them would give them a fresh breath of life). I'm torn on how to paint the sides, though. You can see where I continued the pattern on one of them, and where the other hasn't even been fully primed. Should I continue the pattern on all sides, or should I paint the sides a very dark Prussian blue or chalkboard black? I could also do a metallic gold, but it feels wrong for something this large (as opposed to a serving tray. also that's what she said). If I paint the sides solid, should I add stars or a design? Should I go for a high gloss or a matte finish?

https://imgur.com/a/EetT0kQ

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

HungryMedusa posted:

this is a very cool concept, love what you are doing with it. Did you decide on a direction for the sides of the cornhole boards? I would have gone with dark blue/black out of sheer laziness

Thank you! I think I’m going to use the dark blue or chalkboard black, but I haven’t started yet. I’m not sure whether I’ll add stars to the sides, either.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

TheMostFrench posted:

haven't used soft pastel in a very long time. It was more chalky than I remember.

This is lovely! What kinds of pastels did you use? How long did it take? Did you use regular paper or pastel paper?

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

Mustang posted:

Don't really like how this one turned out but it's my first ever portrait. Reference painting had lots of shadows and it was tough to emulate.

Agreed! It's very good for a first portrait! (I am so afraid of portraits, so this is awesome to me.)

It does look like harsh lighting, but overall, it seems like you captured the forms and levels of the face really well in a slightly abstract way. Not sure whether you're looking for feedback/what kind you're looking for, but the hair is a little structurally confusing to me. Do you have a pic of the source?

Out of curiosity, did you use acrylics or oils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

TheMostFrench posted:

Thanks! I used these on 110gsm cartridge paper, which is apparently suitable for pastels https://theartshop.com.au/products/mungyo-soft-pastel-set-32-half-sticks

Figuring out the proportions of the pose took a lot longer than colouring everything. Hard to say.

Thank you! I’ll look into it.

Do you do gesture sketch practice? Quick Poses has a feature that automatically cycles through model poses (nude or clothed) at an interval you can choose. I think I set it at either 30sec or 2min per pose for like 10-20 pics. After like 3 practices, proportions got much easier