Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Whew! Took me a while to scroll through this entire thread but drat I gotta say there's a whole lotta talented people ITT. Especially loved everything by Friends Are Evil, Zoben, and sigma 6 :)

Earlier this summer, I bought an airbrush for painting my Warhammer miniatures. It's cool and fun, but I just really enjoy using the brush itself and now I want to explore painting in general. Didn't see a whole lot of airbrush submissions but I'm hoping you folks could give me a little direction with getting started. I've been looking at easels online, but like what should I buy in terms of canvas? Can I just use 8.5x11 printer paper since airbrush isn't a "wet" medium? I'm adapting my minis painting station, so I'm just looking to keep it relatively small scale for now.

Are there any sort of "must haves" in terms of stencil kits? I was looking over a local art supplier (Hyatts - they seem to have a large web presence, but I don't know if they're actually well known :v:) and all they seem to have for stencil kits are like, really specialized shapes - skulls, flames, mayan kind of stuff etc.

Any youtube channel recommendations? I'd love to find like a "The Bob Ross of Airbrushing" kinda channel. I've watched a variety of videos but haven't really settled on any I especially enjoy watching / listening to.

Thanks!

Thanks, glad you liked my stuff :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Angrymog posted:

I designed my own christmas card again this year, and had them printed out (£25 including shipping for 50).

That's super cute, great job!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Jackard posted:

Did some woodburning for our elderly neighbor who likes bears

Cool. I really like woodburning and one of my artist friends on Facebook makes these really intricate burns.

I just finished the pen and ink portion of an album cover for a well-known stoner sludge band. It's 22"x22", title to be "Weedsconsin" hence the shape of WI in the middle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

HOT BREAD! posted:

a little late but I just wanted to mention what a wonderful painting style you have :)

Seconded, I love it!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Pen n' ink

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
I don't have any art to share at the moment but in the traditional art world, I'm a tad dismayed to see Peter Gric sharing transphobic memes and views on Facebook since I've been a big fan of his for some time :smith:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Haven't drawn for a while. Good to get back to it

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
done now

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

That's awesome, I love the linework.

I've been trying to post some in-progress stuff but the attachment option on here doesn't seem to be working. Feh

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Oh, now it works. Hooray (I know the skull and face don't line up perfectly but tough fuckin toenails)

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Thanks all :keke:

Another part, it turns into a more surreal look on either side. Trying to do a somewhat less trite/cliche version of an ouroboros for this album cover, but it's hard to come up with new poo poo. I lessened my stance on avoiding skulls, at least for this one, since they're fun to draw and automatically get more attention

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

A bit of thread necromancy, but I'm about to take a class in laser cutting/burning and these posts popped into my head, so I have a question about this one for either sigma 6 or Zoben:

Since you guys collaborated on this, was Zoben's original drawing provided as a bitmap or vector? Or better said: if it was a bitmap, how was it converted to a vector file? I'll be using LightBurn and its vector trace function seems way easier than futzing around in Inkscape (which worked even if it's a bit of a pain), but thought I'd check whether there's a third option I missed.

I'll be using the laser to cut some acrylic for an unrelated project, but I do have some of my own prints I would love to eventually scan/vectorize/burn.

He's got it covered already, since I don't do any of the burning. But just to answer the first question, all of my art is done traditionally first with pen and ink and I scan it in and color it digitally, so it's all bitmaps from start to finish. I don't really do much of anything with vector illustration.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Trabant posted:

Thanks! That's encouraging to know, since my own process is very much analog right up to the point if/when I scan the final linocut print.

Right on. My process is essentially similar to comic book art production, the ink part is old-school (I know artists still do traditional and some do digital inks) and the coloring is digital (although I use an old-rear end Intuos 3 and I still use Photoshop CS3 since I don't need any of that new horseshit). Nothing but respect for bad-rear end digital painters, but I like a bit of that connection to the tactility of the medium. And the reason I don't color with watercolor or something is that I can't make up my mind on color schemes unless I try like a million different things. Also I'm not like Bill Sienkiewicz -level where his sense of color is loving godlike.

That's one of the only bummers when it comes to selling my art, the final piece exists in digital form, so people ask me about "buying originals" and I say that the only originals are black-and-white. Most people at art or craft shows don't understand that concept. It's kind of a strange thing, navigating the commerce aspect, because I have hundreds of prints which cost $10 - $60 at most and I figure that I'd be selling a lot, but people say that they "really want originals" and I'm like well, the pen work took me like a month so I'd only sell it for like $1000, which they're not interested in. Moral of the story: 90 percent of art customers are shitheads

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
This fuckin' thing is done

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Claeaus posted:

Finally done with this after a few months of working on it on-and-off, made on A3:

drat. That's killer! Awesome linework!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Oil painting number 2!

Got some new colors and wanted to use everything

Killer! I love colors. They're good

New stuff comin along

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
my version of a biblically-accurate angel

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Stage with my projections from this last weekend.

dude that's fuckin sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Xposted from the Daily Drawing thread.

Sugar Man.

Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right.

Made with graphite and photoshop. I still can't paint in photoshop but I can sometimes "fix" stuff ... lol

Cool, I like the contrast/chiaroscuro on the clown. Did you do a texture in Photoshop in the background?

This one's done in terms of black and white