Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

:staredog: <(I can tell you that it is NOT '42'.)
OK I haven't drawn for ages and I am doing a portrait of a friend for her birthday. I've been working on this for an hour and there's still something off about it. PM me so I can give you a link to the reference photo.

Edit: A friend of mine told me what needs to be fixed and I did it and I must say, it does look much better now:

MeaningOfLife fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

OK I haven't drawn for a while and I need to finish this before her birthday celebration tomorrow. I've been working on this for 4 hours and I feel like something's still off. I need a 2nd pair of eyes for consultation. Can someone let me know what can I do to make it look more like her? Thanks.

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Prolonged Priapism posted:

This overlay shows a lot of errors - basically you made her head too big (or hair too small), her nose too long, and you abandon the angle of the head you establish with the eyes - her eyes show her head tilted to our left (like in the image), her mouth and nose as you've drawn them are basically straight up and down. If I had to guess I'd say you're drawing this on a table and your perspective foreshortens the drawing in to something closer to the reference on your screen. But when you look at it squarely it's obviously off. So yeah, get her jaw where it should be and then re-draw the features. At this point it's probably better to start over, unless you can erase the colored pencil well. Good luck!

Also, since this is a gift and not serious practice it's ok to do some tracing or direct comparison with the photo to ensure the the major proportions are there. Nobody's going to care if you held this up to your monitor and made some marks to place the features.

Hahahahahaha, gently caress, yeah, my drawing skill is soooooo off now. I am indeed starting over and do more with pencil sketching first before going just color right away. Thanks for this!

Edit: Also yes, you guessed correct. I did draw on a table and it did hosed up my perspective. But at the same time, I do want to get my skills back like how I was 5 years ago.

MeaningOfLife fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 13, 2015

MeaningOfLife
Nov 30, 2001

Here's version 2.0, I think I'm getting my groove back, slowly. I know, I still need to work on the cheekbone of her right side of the face a bit.

Edit: OK I think I'm done for the night. There's still improvements I can do here and there but I'll do it tomorrow.

MeaningOfLife fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2015