Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I got a bunch of stuff I ordered so I'm trying out techniques and combinations. I'm using Talens China Black ink with a "school" and "Mapping" nib, Kuretake Zig Clean Color brush-pens, Mitsubishi uni Posca white paint marker and Faber Castell Polychromos on Strathmore 300 Sequential medium - Vellum finish.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/s8wscBC.jpg :nws:

I'm really digging the pencils on the Vellum finish. I like the white marker ability very much too. I wonder if there are other ways of adding brighter colors. I'm considering getting some gouache.

Modedit: please link to NWS images

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Sorry about the not sufficiently NWSed image.
Here's one from the past week, drawn while away on camping:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I love the looks of those jars but I don't know if I could display one in a way that does it justice. I imagine some kind of pharmacy cabinet or shelf would be nice for it.

Here's a sketch/sketches that's with some china black, the school nib and the mapping nib and F.C. Polychromos and some other stuff here and there.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I can suddenly do studies that don't look like poo poo!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Colored pencils sketch:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

TheGreekOwl posted:

Yeah eh, not to disrail anything but I see that and I immidiately think of this

I recomend working on that, the expressions and the morphology of the face are inconsistent between expressions. She kinda looks like a man in the top right too.

Thanks! That's a funny picture. :D
I appreciate you pointing out the flaws. I'm still sort of finding my way with these so I'll work more on it.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's another sketch. Colored pencils, ink and dip pens, gouache and white marker. Not happy with either the gouache or the white marker. I can't get the accuracy and flow I want with the gouache and the marker is not reliable at all.
I ordered some Zig-Kuretake white ink along with their comics-black and I'll see how it goes.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

Couple of dumb ink drawings.

Hell yeah! These rule! The space ships could stand to be a bit harder edged but the narrative of these is cool.

Here's another sketch- colored pencil, black on Strathmore 300 vellum finish. Used a blender quite a bit.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

Thanks! I'm really trying to improve my rendering with ink. I have a decent grasp of value when I use charcoal or graphite, but I struggle with crosshatching and texturing when I only have a pure black.

I saw the original of this drawing by Karl Stevens up close. It's mindblowing - the online reproduction doesn't do it justice.
http://thephoenix.com/Boston/life/133405-subtle-thief-of-youth/
I'm enthralled with how deliberate he is with his lines. My approach has usually been more like making random scratches, and relying on the overall density to reach the right value level.

I recommend you try to copy some of his work several times and see if you can learn from that how he approached creating values with his hatching.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's another sketch/technique experiment(s).

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Argue posted:

Anyone know if the fixative spray used on painted miniatures (which my brother has a lot of) will work fine on drawings on paper?

I use fixative for drawings on miniatures so maybe?

Why not do an experiment?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

A sketch and homage to the classic Installation Wizard by Shmorky.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

ShrimpToast posted:

I really like the slight cloudiness and colour of the eyes. The highlights are very nicely done too. What did you use for them?

Here is a somewhat old drawing of mine.

Thank you. I used a white Gouache paint. A nice drawing but maybe the values are sort of uniform giving it a flat appearance.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

TheGreekOwl- Nice work in general, I'd like to see more decisive strokes. Looks a little bit muddy, maybe undefined. Smoother gradations maybe, blend the colors when you want to have transitions. I guess what I'm saying is it's all in the same "intensity"; that look has its place but in my opinion within an intentional spectrum of harder edge and softer transitions. Don't be afraid to ruin the painting with one fell stroke.

I bought an airbrush and also a million stuff that you have to have that goes around the drat thing. Now I'm trying it out and experimenting.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Congrats on the change! Keep at it.

Here's some airbrush practice drawing. Also used some colored pencils and acrylic with a brush.
Based on the previous sketch that's an homage to Shmorky's "installation wizard".

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

I drew on a shirt.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Another thing. Thumbed for nips.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

poopcup posted:

Last semester's soda firing was a huge success!

That's about 12" tall and 17" across, B-Mix fired to just under cone 11 with a D'Arvor kaolin based flashing slip.

That's very pretty!
I don't know what the words mean but the items in the pictures look very nice. Good color and texture.There's a veritable motion to them.

Here's a miniature sculpture in epoxy-putty (ProCreate by Kraftmark)

(quarter for scale)

And an illustration in mixed media: Dip pens, pencils, color pencils, brush pens, watercolor, gouache, rapidographs

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Just a sketch on some midtone paper. Trying out various stuff.

It's a lot of fun and has some cool things you can do but it's also frustrating in a sense.
I really need to try gouache. Anyone know of a solid tutorial/explanation? I have a tube of white and black hth tia.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

neonnoodle posted:

Gouache is great. You can water it down all the way to a watercolor-like opacity, but for maximum strength you want the consistency to be kind of like shampoo. It's noticeably more difficult to do smooth blending with gouache than with watercolor, so typically the painting style preferred is more "graphic," with hard edges and solid chunks of color. It's ideal for cartoony work, or for Leyendecker-esque stylized painting. Instead of layering from light to dark as you might with watercolor, with gouache you can put the darks down first and put lights over them. You can kind of go back and forth from dark to light and back, but the paint is not 100% opaque and lower layers will show through a bit.

When gouache dries, it becomes slightly lighter in value than when it was wet. Eventually you learn to predict how much shift is going to happen and compensate for it. Also, gouache can be re-activated even after it dries. This is good for fixing mistakes, but bad if you accidentally overwet something that you didn't want to change.

This is a nice gouache speedpaint video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSloIZDkvk

Thanks. Should I use any particular type of paper like for Watercolor?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

TheGreekOwl posted:

Doing some random architectural studies.

COOL! I love technical drawings.

Here's some sketches/explorations:

Thumbed for big.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

That's a very nice painting Jisae. Well done.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Those are very nice Yoshi. A very believable sense of lighting in the bird one, especially.
Here's what I'm working on now:

Not sure where to go with it. I'm considering bringing in the airbrush.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

An attempt was made.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

DEO3 posted:

Been a while since I've worked on anything.. but I finally got around to finishing a thing:

"Skylines" 16x12 on scratchboard

That's super neat-o!
The buildings look great. Maybe the clouds could stand to be more fluffy or have something more awesome happening there; more drama.
I've recently ordered a scratchboard (claybord) and I'm eager to try it out but I'm not very sure what or how. Any tips?

Anyways—
Here are a couple of sketches/drawings

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Another commission illustration for a goon made RPG, all traditional:

(link to facebook thing)

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Some sketches. I got a Prismacolor Premier color pencil (black) in the mail and I'm very pleased with how deep it is compared to the Faber Castell Polychromos Black. It smears less easily, which can be a benefit and a disadvantage depending on your intentions. The Faber Castell Albrecht Durer is slightly deeper black but when water/liquid goes over it it will become darker and more permanent as it seeps into the fiber.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Trying out these new airbrush paints: the Createx Illustration colors. They’re pretty badass. For one thing they flow much better in my Iwata Neo CW with it’s 0.35 mm nozzle. What a difference. I didn't realize how significant the thickness was just in terms of how big the pigment particles are. The more "regular" paints are much more finicky and not working good. Looking forward to doing more stuff.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

could you post a detail shot of the skull? i love those teeth

Sure thing. Thank you!
I worked on it some more, not sure if it's for the better or not; yet.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

Thanks! Great texture on the skull!
The bone on the left feels a little odd to me though, like it's on the same plane as the skull (owing to the similar value + contrast level) and just barely about to touch it.

Thanks, I'll fiddle with it some more. I've still got a lot to learn.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Well, here's what came out. I enjoyed it. It was very educational; I see there is a long way before me with these techniques but the results are already very pleasing.

Details:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

a hole-y ghost posted:

It looks cool! I like what you did with the bone, it feels ghostly

That's what she said. :smith:
:goonsay:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Another exploration/experimental technique combination.
Super mixed technique, all traditional.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Detective Thompson posted:

This belongs in a museumon a thrash metal album. This is great.

As is this. I continue to love your work. I assume those are prints in your store, right?

Haha, thanks! :allears:
That would own(metal cover, that is). :black101:

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here is things:

Good mix of techniques but the plate finish is a bastard. I solved some of my warping issues by using paper mounting spray adhesive to fix the medium to a board-mat thing.

Fail on the anatomy/representation but I learned more about the behavior and interaction of pastels with other techniques.

Claybord surface, ultra smooth. Very difficult to achieve desired effects with pencils and pastels.

Revisiting this older experiment because it's cotton cold press arches paper. I was chasing a higher resolution for detail work by seeking lower and lower tooth factors but the tradeoff seems to be that the medium accepts a narrowing band of applications for certain effects.
Still figuring out a good strategy of using mixed techniques.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Kanine posted:

could we get a closer look at that last image? i like the dudes face

Thanks. Still experimenting.

Got a new airbrush in the post.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Here's a new one. Mixed technique.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Tardigrade posted:

I really want to get into some serious figure drawing, my humans are way too ugly as they are. Are there any good books or resources to get one started?

Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing for all it's worth

Can be found for download as public domain.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

An attempt was made

And some sketches:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Another illustration.