Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I've been really into chalk/charcoal white on black card stock for a while now.

I think my brain just might be predisposed to light additive rather than the usual inverse, putting dark ink or otherwise on to white canvas.

Edit: Additional nonsense:

Getting into kinda half and half here, building on dark with light. (Also, some of these are studies of Ellison Hoover works, or are insprired by them.)

I'm open to suggestions on how to further explore this area of light-additive doodling. I've looked into getting into woodcuts and similar techniques. I suppose the next logical step might be oil paints possibly?

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

These are great!

Have you tried water soluable pencils? Or inktense pencils? Not sure if the cardstock will hold water well but it doesn't take much water to move around the pencil graphite or inktense uh... ink.

Thanks!

I have not, but I will take a look into that now. Pretty sure I even have some water soluble pencils around here somewhere I've never cracked open.

The only wet media I've doodled around with have been Copic alcohol-based markers. The card stock I've been using has a pretty good weight and tooth(?) for these pens. I've been slowly figuring out how to work with inks that mix and spread the very specific way alcohol Copic markers do.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I went and set up a portfolio site to organize my doodlings, as well as created a landing page for commissioned illustrations. This is all quite new to me and I'm quite entirely not sure what I'm doing. Is there anyone else in this thread that has done anything similar whom could provide any advice?

https://jmreilly.myportfolio.com

Edit: I found this dusty book in my library that seems to have some useful information for creative weirdos that have no idea about how to business. I'm open to suggestions on any other books or resources to help in a similar way. https://amzn.to/3XEXz6H

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 18, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Recommendation for a photoshop process?

Trying to combine hues within a certain threshold into a solid huge.

So far it seems like Filter Gallery > Cutout is the closest to what I'm looking for?

I use combinations of Image->Adjustments->Posterize and Filter->Blur->Smart Blur to accomplish what I think you're asking about. Try them in different orders and amounts to compress images down into solid hues.

Also, depending on the source image, sometimes making several duplicates of the original source, apply a different level of Image->Adjustments->Threshold to each, and color pick and apply a specific color to each threshold'd layer.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Neon Noodle posted:

Instead of doing Posterize via the Image-Adjustments menu, make an adjustment layer. It’s non-destructive so you can mess with it along with the Smart Filters.

Another thing you can do is convert the image from RGB to indexed color. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/customizing-indexed-color-tables.html

If you set up your color table just how you want and save it to a file, you can apply that table to other images either one-off or as a batch.

These are Pro Tips. Do as much in adjustment layers as possible so they're non-destructive and can be tweaked easily.

The Customizing Index Color Tables to accomplish this is new info to me, and I've been using Photoshop for like decades now. Well done! This is excellent info.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I bought a cheapo watercolor set to see what it was all about. Lessons were learned. Including how watercolor dries and sets over time.

Edit: I think I'm into painting now.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
More paints. More feelings.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Keetron posted:

Here is some stuff I did recently.

So now I have all these loose leaf things lying around. Normally I work in sketchbooks and those are stored nicely but what the hell to do with all those leafs? How do other dirty hand goons do this?

Those are all great.

For storage of loose works I have multiple three ring binders. Look for something called "photo sleeves" or "page protectors." They're thin plastic sheets with pockets and rings on the edge so you can clip them into the binders. They come in various sizes, and also have sheets broken up into multiple smaller pockets, so find whatever is right for you.