Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I hope this can be allowed... I do at least one jar every day. None of this has been put out in public before so SA is getting a little exclusive on this different medium I don't even feel comfortable talking about yet. The glass is suspended within the jars, no glue or any adhesive is used just good old physics.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Beer bottles take maybe a half hour, most of the time is spent sorting out the pieces after the bottle is shattered.. I've spent up to two hours on things like those purple abstracts. They're very secure, they can be shaken hard and not move. I had problems when they were subject to vibration but dealt with it and none of them "settle" anymore for lack of a better term

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

red stained & yellow painted glass

fuchsia organdy

(you can see an air bubble at the top, it has since been removed)

i did another purple one today but it doesn't photograph well.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Enfys posted:

I know it's been a few weeks now, but these are just so beautiful. Did you just start playing around with glass and come up with this technique?

No, I was actually messing with the medium in which the glass is suspended for many months and started using broken mirror pieces - check the pictures below - and moved on to glass. Now I use all sorts of materials, right now with an emphasis on trash! Will show some more new work next year

This was a small photography project I never completed called 100 fractured faces, I was taking pictures of faces reflected by the mirrors. No adhesives were used just like the glass suspensions, and even though the technique is 100% different the same material is used here as in the mason jars.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What kind of waterproof paint can I use on glass without changing the opacity of the glass?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Started a blog today to publicize my glass work. Everything has been under lock and key up until this point because I wasn't sure whether the medium would last. Wel it has been over a year and the original pieces are still in tact, not a thing has "settled."

http://aguderian.blogspot.com/

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Cool project, are you using resin? How do you arrange the pieces in the bottles? Would be great to get a better idea of your process, sounds like there's a lot you could do with it, especially if it is resin as there's been a lot of similar medium work around here in Brooklyn.

It isn't any hardened material like resin, it is 100% "editable" after the product is "finished." I have commercializing the material in mind but first need to execute a lot more concepts with it. Transitioning beyond mason jars is a major step towards accomplishing this.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Really really happy with how this one came out -- another, larger Red Stripe bottle:

Anyone want one of these?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

indeed brewing haywire

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

stone brewery Enjoy By 04.20.14

indeed brewery Burr Grinder

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

New Belgium Kriek (Lips of Faith Series)

Stone Go To IPA

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Wizard of Smart posted:

I absolutely love your stuff, especially your abstracts. How can I get one?

I can send you one for free if you want. All the of the Red Stripes are cursed though, every one of them has broken so far and they're the only ones that have done so. PM me with your address and whatever you'd like.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

My UPS package to Wizard of Smart loving broke and he didn't get this, because it has been trashed:

This isn't even necessarily the "front," I was excited to see which side he'd photograph and post here. There was one other item inside, the rogue dead guy ale bottle I posted earlier. That is gone as well.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Made something new today:

There is very little I can do to demonstrate final look when it comes to images. Just to illustrate some depth, compare the next two pictures:

Finally, here is the project in front of a white screen to highlight the edges:

You can see more images at the imgur album

edit: holy crap this album already has more hits in an hour than my blog has in its entire time online

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 23, 2014

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 6, 2018

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 27, 2016

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU