Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

TVGM posted:

Thank you. It's crazy how desaturation changes the whole tone. I still have some work to do, to even it out.

If anyone is looking for some 101 and inspiration with oil, I highly recommend Lena Danya on YouTube. She explains workflow, materials, and makes fantastic pieces.

I like her video where she paints the NASA solar probe. Andrew Tischler is also a great painter follow. Here's him talking about oil mediums for half an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZf9QaTxDfM

Alpay Efe is also usually a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmq80Q4pW_0&t=140s

And some content, a watercolor I did of some rocks in Joshua Tree national park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'll take the oil paints! Thanks for the kind offer :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got my box too!

I've never even heard of water mixable oil paints so I'm excited to try them out, thanks Keetron!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I painted a jellyfish with the stuff you sent me, I haven't posted it yet because it's still drying and I'm not sure if I want to add more layers or not. Here it is as of right now though!

Thanks again for the box :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think this is your best one yet that you've posted!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Been working on this for a little bit, I also gilded (fake gold leaf) and "dirtied" the frame. Not sure I'm done with it yet but it's good enough for me to put on the wall to look at instead of sitting on my other desk.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool. Love the planes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love stretching canvas, I started using tacks instead of staples because I've been watching too many baumgartner restoration videos on youtube

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah they hold on just fine. They're easier to remove than staples and having nicely spaced tacks around the edge of the canvas is a nice look if youre into that sorta thing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tacking hammers are magnetic on the back so you don't have to hold the tack. Its pretty easy once you get the hang of it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Keetron posted:

Superb work as usual dupersaurus.

Some outside drawing.

Where do you live, I've been lobbying my parks department to put in municipal sex swings for years and they keep saying no!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jesus Christ that's sick as hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I found this old thermometer in my parents basement, I guess my brother got it from a house he was changing the HVAC system on. It was so rusted over you couldn't read half the numbers but I sandblasted it and it turned out pretty good considering how it started. I forgot to take a before pic like always but I painted it white like it seemed to originally be. I wanted to paint the lines and numbers black but my attempts to do it by hand looked bad given the uneven surface. I also tried masking tape to do the lines but it still looked kind of uneven. My next thought is some kind of stencil but I haven't tried it yet. Any ideas on how to have it look half decent?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cool, I like your use of solid black

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks pretty good!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Zoben posted:

Cool, I like the contrast/chiaroscuro on the clown. Did you do a texture in Photoshop in the background?

This one's done in terms of black and white

Jesus Christ your stuff is sick as hell

Booyah- posted:

This may be a stupid question and the answer is just "go to the local art supply store" but does anyone have good resources for getting quality drawing paper in index card size? I like keeping around 3 by 5 index cards for doodling but the typical ones are very cheap paper

Short of cutting larger paper with a scissors I can't think of a good cheap option

that's gonna be the right answer without knowing what you have in mind for high quality, to go IRL and feel a bunch of different kinds of paper and see what you like. then you can have an idea of what weights and materials of paper you like

if you already have larger paper you like you could get a papper cutter that would be much easier than scissors

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 15, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a 3d printer would probably be the "least" work but you're likely to still need to do some sanding or finish work unless you can use a resin printer. There are different materials that would surely survive a printing press as long as it's not a ginormous piece. linocuts and woodcuts are ok but you could also consider etching where you print a mask on a sheet of metal (copper) and dissolve some of rest to create raised letters. Or of course cutting by hand

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 27, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have some speedball oil based relief ink and it makes pretty good looking prints that you could watercolor over.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks good

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The gauche kit I have has white as the only pre-wetted color in a metal tube to avoid that very problem I think

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Does anyone sell prints, and if so is there some good print to order service? I've gotten stuff printed w Shutterfly, Google photos, and some other service I can't recall but never used anything like redbubble and the like. Any recommendations?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HungryMedusa posted:

It depends on what you want. I print my own on an ancient Epson r2000. I buy print on demand prints as a part of my day job so I have seen some from different services.

I wasn't impressed with Redbubble. Fine Art America is OK but their customer service can be iffy if you have a problem. Society 6 is pretty low quality paper. I hear Printful is good but have no personal experience with them. I have always liked anything we get from Smugmug but that is mostly photo prints.

The thing I hear over and over from art fair artists I know is it's best to find a local print shop to do them for you if you don't do your own. They might be more expensive but then you can see the product and tweak things.

If you have a local Blick, they often have sales on their printing services though I don't know how good a deal they are. They do have nice giclee printers.

🤯 I buy half my paints at a local blick idk why I didn't even think to check out their print services! Thanks for the advice :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks good op 👍

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How does it taste

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Crystal ball holder

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol.

do you have plans for the best sandwich of all BLT

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sab669 posted:

Incredible.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oils are great, i think they just look so smooth and buttery :allears:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

silicone thrills posted:

I specifically rarely work wet on wet because its so easy to make it look like mud.

also yeah beating the solvent brush is uhhh not great. Also a mess. I just wipe as much color off my brushes as I can between color changes with a blue automotive towel and try to make the most of those.

same plus i use a coil jar w some mineral spirits to get the last of the paint out of the brushes when im done

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hmm I'll give that a try, I'm just a self taught painter. I use the thinner for woodworking too and I have a chem degree so solvents don't really bother conceptually me but the safety concerns are real.

Mineral oil would probably work as a version that won't go rancid 🤔

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wtf those are great

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I like liquin :shobon:

Makes the paint so nice and buttery and it dries in a day or two

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it looks good to me op you just need to keep going. let it dry and do another layer and be amazed at your progress

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh poo poo hell yeah

e: I should do some more wood cut prints 🤔